Half time cringe! Respect the 'legends'

Some don't care about someone they've never heard of or who was average at best for us!  

Reaches for flat cap and presses play on Hovis tune - If thats a representative view for a fair few of todays fans then, to me it shows a sad lack of interest and respect in our club and its history (which to be honest is one of the few things that really marks us out at present).  Its also missing the point that today's favourites will perhaps be one of the legends at a future game.  

And here's our old friend Fernando Forestieri.  Son - Who's he dad?  Father - He used to be a star when we were nearly relegated from the second division son.  Son - Oh right, I'm off for a pie.

Some of these 'legends' played when we were much more successful (in the old First division) than we are at present.  When Wilko and his team of pretty average players outperformed a lot of much more expensive teams and even managed to finish in a European qualifying position before the Liverpool charge at Heysel restricted that option.

Some played even earlier in less happy times but like today and like the past 18 years when we've been a second and third division side there were still favourites who we applauded. 

Returning to my original point - If we can't show some respect and provide a proper introduction and welcome for these 'legends' then why bother?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

19 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Remember the Radio Hallam giant ball? That was pretty funny for a while in the mid 1980s. Around that time I also remember them setting up small nets on each side of the pitch and having kids representing each of the two teams there that day play a game.

But the best ever will still be the Royal Marines showing us all how to disarm, maim and kill people. I saw that at both the Ricoh Arena and Hillsborough.

Those Marines were fantastic. They weren't even pretending,  they were properly beating the crap out of each other, real hardcases. 

At the other end of the scale I was at Leicester once and the "entertainment"  was students playing with frisbees.  

49 minutes ago, Heeleyowl said:

Some don't care about someone they've never heard of or who was average at best for us!  

Reaches for flat cap and presses play on Hovis tune - If thats a representative view for a fair few of todays fans then, to me it shows a sad lack of interest and respect in our club and its history (which to be honest is one of the few things that really marks us out at present).  Its also missing the point that today's favourites will perhaps be one of the legends at a future game.  

And here's our old friend Fernando Forestieri.  Son - Who's he dad?  Father - He used to be a star when we were nearly relegated from the second division son.  Son - Oh right, I'm off for a pie.

Some of these 'legends' played when we were much more successful (in the old First division) than we are at present.  When Wilko and his team of pretty average players outperformed a lot of much more expensive teams and even managed to finish in a European qualifying position before the Liverpool charge at Heysel restricted that option.

Some played even earlier in less happy times but like today and like the past 18 years when we've been a second and third division side there were still favourites who we applauded. 

Returning to my original point - If we can't show some respect and provide a proper introduction and welcome for these 'legends' then why bother?

BULLSEYE NAILED ON ..(great post)

TBH He couldn't get up the tunnel and away fast enough ...

I assume they are looked after whilst at the match?

Fed Watered etc 

Or are they expected to POTG .......WTF:    

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/17/2018 at 21:31, torryowl said:

I guess theres a lot like me as soon as the ref blows for half time i'm down the steps to the concourse and don't come back until I hear the music that heralds the team back on ...shame really as the old players deserve a good welcome .

They should get ex players to pull the pints. Not the class of 93 though, as they'd drink the lot.

• Haha 1

On 17/04/2018 at 19:40, DJMortimer said:

But the best ever will still be the Royal Marines showing us all how to disarm, maim and kill people. I saw that at both the Ricoh Arena and Hillsborough.

The moral of this story is "Never f#*k with DJMortimer. He will disarm, maim and kill you.

liam-neeson-phone-call.jpg

Edited by Auckland Owl
  • Haha 2

On 17/04/2018 at 20:11, chrisf said:

Problem is, in the North Stand near the front, you can't hear what the announcer says half the time, so sometimes you have no idea who is on the pitch.

On 17/04/2018 at 20:32, Finney on the Wing said:

Note to Mr Chansiri - new PA system for next season.

On 18/04/2018 at 15:52, rikowl said:

A highlights video would be a nice touch but might be tricky for some of the older players with less footage available.

I will say that at the back of the Kop I can barely ever hear who they are.

I used to think it was the rubbish speakers we had on the Kop or the crap PA system, but Ive realised lately its just the announcer who mumbles. It was noticeable yesterday when he was doing his usual waffle that no one understands but then when he passed the mic to the guy from Capital** you could hear him loud and clearly. It was as if the old speakers had suddenly sprung into life ....... or my ears suddenly remembered what to do...... I dunno, it just made a change to hear what was going on. Then they passed it back to ol' mumbler again and I hadnt the foggiest.

**only know who he was could I could actually hear for a change.

2 hours ago, Miffed said:

I used to think it was the rubbish speakers we had on the Kop or the crap PA system, but Ive realised lately its just the announcer who mumbles. It was noticeable yesterday when he was doing his usual waffle that no one understands but then when he passed the mic to the guy from Capital** you could hear him loud and clearly. It was as if the old speakers had suddenly sprung into life ....... or my ears suddenly remembered what to do...... I dunno, it just made a change to hear what was going on. Then they passed it back to ol' mumbler again and I hadnt the foggiest.

**only know who he was could I could actually hear for a change.

What with Mr Gobby from Crapital and the incessant whistling feedback it'll be a wonder if 20,000 Wednesday fans aren't having hearing checks tomorrow!!

Maybe with our dutch connections these days we might get Gerald Sibon to do the draw next season. 

If we were to put a highlights reel on the screen in his time with us some younger fans would be left wondering why he didn't go on to win the Ballon d'or

Some good memories for me in my early years of having a season ticket 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ReginaldD said:

Maybe with our dutch connections these days we might get Gerald Sibon to do the draw next season. 

If we were to put a highlights reel on the screen in his time with us some younger fans would be left wondering why he didn't go on to win the Ballon d'or

Some good memories for me in my early years of having a season ticket 

Good memories? We were flipping atrocious back then! 

Also, weird how the Kop looks packed for that QPR game yet rest of the ground is empty.

Edited by owls maniac

5 hours ago, owls maniac said:

Good memories? We were flipping atrocious back then! 

Also, weird how the Kop looks packed for that QPR game yet rest of the ground is empty.

2000/2001 was my first year as a season ticket holder.

So not necessarily the quality of football on offer but the whole experience provides good memories