Basement Bargains?

Bearing in mind our supposed financial limitations, are there any players in those championship squads either probably going down or potentially that we could snaffle for a bargain?  I think we would all say that Sunderland and Burton are gone, so those two with Bolton, Birmingham, Barnsley and Reading who realistically would they need to offload to balance the books?  Is there anybody there playing below their level?  Is there anybody who has impressed you this year who would be worth a look at? Any of their loan signings who we could take from their parent club next season after having a hard season/half season in the Championship?

I'll start the ball rolling with...

Birmingham       Harlee Dean

Bolton               Jon Flanagan (on loan from Liverpool but likely to move this summer)

Barnsley           Oliver McBurnie (on loan from Swansea)

Reading             John Swift

Struggling for any from Sunderland and Burton to be honest.  Flanagan if he moves down to the Championship full time will attract a decent fee.  Transfermarkt have him around 2.5 million but I'm not sure how accurate that is.  I'd make a bid for John Swift anyway regardless of what happens to Reading, as I would Knudsen at Ipswich.  Nathan Byrne at Wigan is another I'd take a punt on.  Impressed like hell against in their cup run with the right attributes to play both full back and wing back.  Would CC do us a favour with McBurnie if Swansea avoid the drop?  I think we will need another CB with Loovens  moving on.  There is no guarantee we will sign Venancio but even if we did, i'd still go for Harlee Dean.

We should buy Dutch, Swedes, Norwegians, and Germans,  forget paying over the odds for bang average UK players. 

We we just need to build a team of athletic players that do a job. Like a club version of Iceland 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Matt_1 said:

Didn't realise Flannagan was playing for Bolton. I'd love him to come to us. Good player.

Wouldn't want someone who batters his girlfriend at our club. 

Rather have Jack Hunt anyway, providing he can get some more consistency free of injury. 

Left back far more pressing issue

22 minutes ago, jp1981 said:

Would have prob cost double that from a Championship side.

He actually cost double what Harlee Dean would have. Plenty on here couldn't understand why we didn't go for him.  Also £500k for Curtis Davis in the summer would have been a great deal. But we ended up paying £4m for a defender who doesn't know how to defend and who virtually singlehandedly gifted the pigs their win at Hillsborough.

• Haha 1

German efficiency is what we want with a touch of Dutch total football thrown in for good measure.

If Jos is here come June then I’m hoping he has some astute signings lined up and that we get them sorted before July..........you can live in hope!

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

I think McBurnie is a good shout. We need to reduce the average age of the squad, and maybe Carlos will do us a favour...