I think it may be the end of an era for a lot of ours players in the summer...

4 hours ago, vulva said:

That's the question. We would struggle to get rid of players if they were fit. I just can't see a short term way out of this problem. We will just have to sit tight, and let contracts run down. The impact of that that will be raising money elsewhere, and I can't help thinking that there will be some collateral damage. One of more of Bannan, Lees, FF or Forestieri will have to be sold. 

Be great if we could keep FF and sell Forestieri

• Haha 3

55 minutes ago, DJMortimer said:

There are 2 problems here. 

Firstly, for all we know, we are already beyond the Profit & Sustainability limit and need to cut the overall salary commitment rather than just maintain it. Secondly, if you are relying on the wages freed by releasing out of contract players to bring in quality then you'll be in the bargain basement. It seems to me that none of those players we can cast off without cost will be anywhere near the highest earners.

Yes - I was being provocative in terms of what the chairman has said. I think we'll shortly see the strategy on this point in the Summer.

Wolves and others have taken risks, clearly breaching FFP in pursuit of the promised land. If successful, they can then take the £5m or so fine.

We on the other hand are at a difficult position in the cycle having failed to achieve promotion this season, and will clearly breach the rules if we simply maintain the wages costs. However, the chairman has said this is what he will do, having got the mandate from the fans in relation to the ST/match day costs questions.

I agree the out-of contract players wages won't be the highest, although I imagine Pudil and Wallace will be on a fair amount; Loovens and Nuhiu less so. Even if we release these four and used the £50K/week? to fund three very good players, it would be a start.

It is, but due to the diabolical contracts agreed they will be here next term.

But those that are free to go and aren’t part of the plans should be thanked and shown the door as soon as.

The planning  and prep needs to start now. 

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

I, like others think there'll be a bit of a clear out and I also think our transfer strategy will change. I expect Jos to change things behind the scenes too, maybe then (assuming something isn't right as Jos has indicated) some of the injured players may come back ok. Fletcher did ok when fit, Lee has been missed but I fear for him, Abdi good knows. It wouldn't surprise me if Westwood and Hutchinson went too. We definitely need a decent left back and a right midfielder along with a central midfielder who gets forward.

I think Jos may have the brief of building a team from the development squad. That questionnaire DC put out seemed strange at the time. The big earners will disappear over time. I can see it being 3 years before we are in a position of having a serious crack at it again.

Alternatively, I could be wrong as usual.lol

15 hours ago, shandypants said:

I acknowledge your valid point within your question and I could be completely wrong in my guess about how things will pan out for the start of next season but I just feel like Jos isn’t one to sit in a situation that he had no part in creating. 

Add to that if he does stay I'm guessing pre season wont be a beach party like this seasons.

We’ve got two ways of doing it or should I say DC has two ways of doing it.

The first being sticking to FFP or P&S or whatever they want to call it this season. That means selling anyone we can even our better players and replacing them with cheaper alternatives. Going by our accounts last year we are going to break the rules we need to save money this year, we can’t even afford to spend what we let go whether that be in wages or transfer costs.

The second option is to say fizz it to FFP and just go for it like Wolves have done. The only difference is because of Mendes, Wolves could attract players/manager that pretty much guarenteed promotion. Could we attract these

kind of players? The answer is no in my opinion. 

Therefore we’d better going for option one however the survey results as others have referred to say DC is going to keep on spending to current levels. That will not only lead to FFP being breached and an embargo put in place but I also believe the current levels of spend won’t get us up.

16 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

When you take into account salaries, injury histories, performances and the Profit and Sustainability regulations, the question is how he's going to carry out a major rebuilding exercise.

Chansiri needs to do a Wolves and back him regardless. Looks like they will escape punishment until they come back down and then they can afford it.

As others have pointed out many times on here apart from the ones who are out of contact its "easier said than done" 

If you were a manager of another championship club, would you be thinking, hey Abdi, matias, Fletcher etc cold do a decent job and be willing to stump up the transfer fee and wages to sign them, or would you be after a less expensive 40 games a season player for less wages that would consistently do a job for you?? 

I remember when Leeds sold rio to man utd and they were all saying its good business because woodgate is a better defender, yet my response was I'd rather have a player that maybe isn't as good, but will give you games consistently over a season ahead of someone that spends half their time injured. 

IMHO we should let ALL the players out of contract leave Kean , Loovens, Pudil, Wallace and Nuhiu................in addition return Butterfield and Venancio to their parent clubs.

Then do our utmost to offload Palmer, Fox, Jones and Boyd.....................do that and we have trimmed 11 players off the squad.

Replace with half a dozen players who will SPECIFICALLY add power and pace to an ageing and cumbersome squad and we might just be targeting top 6 again.