I think it may be the end of an era for a lot of ours players in the summer...

1 hour ago, vulva said:

That's the question. We would struggle to get rid of players if they were fit. I just can't see a short term way out of this problem. We will just have to sit tight, and let contracts run down. The impact of that that will be raising money elsewhere, and I can't help thinking that there will be some collateral damage. One of more of Bannan, Lees, FF or Forestieri will have to be sold. 

Sadly I think this is the most likely scenario.

It depends on whether we retain the numbers on paper or whether we have to slim down.

I would release all the out-of-contract players - Wallace, Loovens, Pudil and Nuhiu.

Butterfield will go and possibly Venancio. 

So that's six places to play with in the transfer market, or if sliming down say four.

We'll write one of them off with Winnall coming back so that balances up Nuhiu leaving, although Winnall's unlikely to play until Christmas.

We need a medical report on Lee.

We could fetch in one CH to play alongside Lees; one winger to replace Wallace; one left back to replace Pudil and a dominant, physical central midfieler.

With everyone fit, we will look ok on paper for the play-offs.

This assumes Hutch; Jones; Boyd and Matias stay and see out their contracts.

Think it's also worth pointing out that it might not be a case of just offloading some of the family silver. 

Your Lees, Nando etc are on very good money and very few teams at this level will be willing or able to match it. 

10 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

When you take into account salaries, injury histories, performances and the Profit and Sustainability regulations, the question is how he's going to carry out a major rebuilding exercise.

If Jos  has any sense he'll tell Katrien an Mr C what he wants to do and leave them to get on with it 

And take the flak if they can't achieve it.

2 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Think it's also worth pointing out that it might not be a case of just offloading some of the family silver. 

Your Lees, Nando etc are on very good money and very few teams at this level will be willing or able to match it. 

The chairman has the mandate from the fans to continue the current level of expenditure and retain the higher paid and better players. I assume will we add quality from releasing the out-of-contract players with a zeron net increase in the wage bill.

3 minutes ago, Animis said:

The chairman has the mandate from the fans to continue the current level of expenditure and retain the higher paid and better players. I assume will we add quality from releasing the out-of-contract players with a zeron net increase in the wage bill.

Well, that's what the survey results said. 

Interesting summer ahead. 

1 hour ago, Bluesteel said:

The problem is, it’s the bannans, forestieris, lees and hoopers that people will want but not necessarily the ones we could do with moving on.

This 100% ^^^^^^

It's alright people saying we need a clear out, which I agree we do

Getting rid of the players we don't want is an entirely different matter

Players on massive contracts like Fletcher, we'd have to give him away and subsidise his wages to do it

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

This 100% ^^^^^^

It's alright people saying we need a clear out, which I agree we do

Getting rid of the players we don't want is an entirely different matter

Players on massive contracts like Fletcher, we'd have to give him away and subsidise his wages to do it

It depends on whether the likes of Fletcher are part of the clubs plans. Just because Fletcher is on a relatively high salary shouldn't mean we move them on. If he can contribute to the teams' success, which he demonstrated in 2017, we should use this as a positive and an option.

Unfortunately for Jos and the club, if some of these higher paid players, who are not in the plans refuse a move, we are stuck, and this restricts the clubs options in the transfer market.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrickyTrev said:

This!!!

In the summer I’d love to see the back of the likes of Abdi, Matias, Jones and Fox but whether it be injury records or wages (or both!!) moving them on isn’t going to be easy.

No one is gonna take abdi

Matias could go back to Portugal and sign for some obscure team like semedo did 

Hopefully some L1 club like MK Dons will take a punt on Jones and/or Fox 

Sadly it’s not like FIFA18 where the likes of Derby and Forest are all too happy to buy the likes of Palmer, Jones and Wallace. 

We have a huge task of reshaping this squad and making it competitive again given our financial constraints. If Jos is kept on and can do that I will be happily proven wrong about my thoughts on him being the right man to push us on. 

Just now, Animis said:

It depends on whether the likes of Fletcher are part of the clubs plans. Just because Fletcher is on a relatively high salary shouldn't mean we move them on. If he can contribute to the teams' success, which he demonstrated in 2017, we should use this as a positive and an option.

Unfortunately for Jos and the club, if some of these higher paid players, who are not in the plans refuse a move, we are stuck, and this restricts the clubs options in the transfer market.

Fletcher is a good player, however is he ever gonna hit the sort of form Joao & Nuhiu have? Can’t see it personally 

1 minute ago, FreshOwl said:

Fletcher is a good player, however is he ever gonna hit the sort of form Joao & Nuhiu have? Can’t see it personally 

Not sure - he's challenging for the spot/role with these two - the tall striker, and non of them have been particularly prolific, but perhaps that's not entirely their game or reason for inclusions.

At the end of the day, Nuhiu's contract is up, and Fletcher has another two year's left, so the club may have to take the quick and easy option. I appreciate the salary difference could have a bearing in this decision.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, MuddyFunkster said:

Jos will have a list of players he would 'like' to move on. Loovens, Fletcher, Abdi, Matias, Fox, Rhodes and Jones are probably high on that list. Palmer, Hutchinson, Nuhiu, Pudil and Winnall could also be surplus to requirements. 

Problem is getting interest in a number of those with their contracts still active out of the club. If we can shift Fletcher, Abdi and Rhodes that's probably £100,000+ a week in wages cleared - a massive bonus.

It 'should' be a busy Summer as this season has proved we have work to do. A lot will rely on Chansiri and whether he plans to back Jos.

Doubt Jos will see Nuhiu as surplus to requirements. I suspect that he'll be the sole one out of our out of contract and loan players to be offered a new deal.

36 minutes ago, Animis said:

Not sure - he's challenging for the spot/role with these two - the tall striker, and non of them have been particularly prolific, but perhaps that's not entirely their game or reason for inclusions.

At the end of the day, Nuhiu's contract is up, and Fletcher has another two year's left, so the club may have to take the quick and easy option. I appreciate the salary difference could have a bearing in this decision.

The viable option may be taken, but I can never see Fletcher emulating Nuhiu’s 11 in 15 or whatever it was. Fletcher is on the wrong side of 30, whilst Nuhiu has a few years on him. 

If we’re  restricted to a certain number of strikers then it’s a no brainier for me, try everything to get fletcher on an agreeable contact elsewhere, and tie big Dave down 

4 minutes ago, FreshOwl said:

The viable option may be taken, but I can never see Fletcher emulating Nuhiu’s 11 in 15 or whatever it was. Fletcher is on the wrong side of 30, whilst Nuhiu has a few years on him. 

If we’re  restricted to a certain number of strikers then it’s a no brainier for me, try everything to get fletcher on an agreeable contact elsewhere, and tie big Dave down 

Nuhiu's form has certainly given the club something to think about. I suspect it wasn't even a discussion point in January, but he's gone from a bit-part sub playing down the clock, to a prolific striker. He's certainly taken his chance. Clearly his value has risen as well so Nuhiu will now have a say in matters, as other team's offers may push up his salary expectations.

I suspect Jos will make the call, and part of the decision will be based on the formation his wants to play. CC wouldn't have contemplated playing Nuhiu and Joao up front, but Jos has. Whether this was a result of the injuries and lack of options we'll never know. We'll know the direction in this area when the decision is taken on Nuhiu's future. 

2 hours ago, Animis said:

I assume will we add quality from releasing the out-of-contract players with a zero net increase in the wage bill.

There are 2 problems here. 

Firstly, for all we know, we are already beyond the Profit & Sustainability limit and need to cut the overall salary commitment rather than just maintain it. Secondly, if you are relying on the wages freed by releasing out of contract players to bring in quality then you'll be in the bargain basement. It seems to me that none of those players we can cast off without cost will be anywhere near the highest earners.

Edited by DJMortimer