I think it may be the end of an era for a lot of ours players in the summer...

I don’t know who will leave but it just feels like there’ll be numerous and significant departures. 

I sense that Jos wants to rid us of our crocks and that he’ll carry out major surgery (no pun intended) on our squad. I also think that he’ll aim to bring in more players for his brand of football (4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2). That suggests to me that he’ll want another Pelupessy type player or two, another centre-half and a couple of fullbacks. 

I think he can easily perm attacking midfielders and fullbacks from the players we currently have. 

Anyway, I think Jos will prune back the squad and bring in quality defenders and defensive mildfielders.  

1 minute ago, DJMortimer said:

When you take into account salaries, injury histories, performances and the Profit and Sustainability regulations, the question is how he's going to carry out a major rebuilding exercise.

I acknowledge your valid point within your question and I could be completely wrong in my guess about how things will pan out for the start of next season but I just feel like Jos isn’t one to sit in a situation that he had no part in creating. 

As a manager he has to build his squad over time. You cant just get rid of players in contract. It is the same for every club. 

What seems to work under Jos is our strikers. 

What we lack is a midfielder or two, wing backs and a central defender. 

4 hours ago, shandypants said:

I don’t know who will leave but it just feels like there’ll be numerous and significant departures. 

I sense that Jos wants to rid us of our crocks and that he’ll carry out major surgery (no pun intended) on our squad. I also think that he’ll aim to bring in more players for his brand of football (4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2). That suggests to me that he’ll want another Pelupessy type player or two, another centre-half and a couple of fullbacks. 

I think he can easily perm attacking midfielders and fullbacks from the players we currently have. 

Anyway, I think Jos will prune back the squad and bring in quality defenders and defensive mildfielders.  

The overall sentiment I agree with but don't think it'll be the backline that has a major overhaul - we've got an option on Fred, Penney is coming back from loan, Hunt has proven a B+ in terms of performances when fit, and creates a decent amount of chances.  Lees is a mainstay.  I think he'll actually be more focused on midfield/ upfront where our lack of pace/ ball carrying in key areas is a problem.  Loovens will go and Pudil depends on extent of JVA injury so am assuming he'll give him another year - also v versatile in terms of positions played in left of defence.

Chansiri will also be targeting getting high earners / low contributors off the books from an FFP perspective.  The likes of Jones, Abdi, Fletcher, Matias need moving on - Rhodes big question mark - if he can keep scoring between now and end of season he may be attractive to a relegated club - anything over $6m and cut our losses and reinvest, we'd amortised losses of $3m on his purchase this season anyway so anything around $6m marker balances the books and frees up his wages.

In short - it is absolutely our midfield and strikers where we're carrying the baggage of non-contributing wages of ex Premier league players so precisely this area which needs to be addressed.

In my honest opinion guv!

1 hour ago, DuttyTeabags said:

The overall sentiment I agree with but don't think it'll be the backline that has a major overhaul - we've got an option on Fred, Penney is coming back from loan, Hunt has proven a B+ in terms of performances when fit, and creates a decent amount of chances.  Lees is a mainstay.  I think he'll actually be more focused on midfield/ upfront where our lack of pace/ ball carrying in key areas is a problem.  Loovens will go and Pudil depends on extent of JVA injury so am assuming he'll give him another year - also v versatile in terms of positions played in left of defence.

Chansiri will also be targeting getting high earners / low contributors off the books from an FFP perspective.  The likes of Jones, Abdi, Fletcher, Matias need moving on - Rhodes big question mark - if he can keep scoring between now and end of season he may be attractive to a relegated club - anything over $6m and cut our losses and reinvest, we'd amortised losses of $3m on his purchase this season anyway so anything around $6m marker balances the books and frees up his wages.

In short - it is absolutely our midfield and strikers where we're carrying the baggage of non-contributing wages of ex Premier league players so precisely this area which needs to be addressed.

In my honest opinion guv!

Couldn’t you find the £ sign Donald ?

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

When you take into account salaries, injury histories, performances and the Profit and Sustainability regulations, the question is how he's going to carry out a major rebuilding exercise.

This!!!

In the summer I’d love to see the back of the likes of Abdi, Matias, Jones and Fox but whether it be injury records or wages (or both!!) moving them on isn’t going to be easy.

4 out of contract, Nuhui should get offered a new contract, the rest, other clubs have to pay for with transfer fee and/or match big wages that we've given. 

There will be less departures than you imagine and less than we need to be able to do any significant manoeuvring unless agents can convince unsuspecting clubs that Fletcher, Abdi, Mattias, Rhodes etc etc are great value for there 30k a week and 10 appearances per season.

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

That's the question. We would struggle to get rid of players if they were fit. I just can't see a short term way out of this problem. We will just have to sit tight, and let contracts run down. The impact of that that will be raising money elsewhere, and I can't help thinking that there will be some collateral damage. One of more of Bannan, Lees, FF or Forestieri will have to be sold. 

best job in the championship (outside of the parachute payment clubs) imo

Things can only get better and a good manager would be able to build his own club, IF the chairman allows.

I know we have had a bad season but many of our players will still be wanted elsewhere, even if we have to sacrifice a "star" to re-invest

Edited by modboy

8 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

This will be his big problem this summer. Getting rid of the likes of Abdi, Matais , etc will be easier said than done. Sat on massive wages and long contracts , they wont be easy to shift. 

There should be big changes this summer.  

Whilst this may be controversial, I would release all the out of contract players. This squad needs freshening up after 2 failed playoff campaigns and I think it has been too comfortable. That includes big Dave. He’s played very well recently but his scoring record for the previous 4.5 years has been dire and if everyone was fit, he wouldn’t be in the team.  If he can secure himself a move to a club which can guarantee him first team football, surely this is better for the player and for us? We need players who are going to fire us to promotion.

It will prove very difficult to get rid of some of the other players. Who will come in for the likes of Fletcher, Abdi or Matias? They are staying until the end of their contracts. Whilst Rhodes apparently had a good game yesterday, I would try and get rid given his performances over the last 15 months. Someone will come in for him given his previous record and he is fit to play games. Obviously, we would have to take a loss.

Palmer, Fox, Jones and Boyd should not be in our plans. I do think that a promoted  league 1 side like Wigan or Blackburn may take a punt on Jones to give them the experience needed for championship footie. Who’s going to come in for Boyd on his contract and who will come in for Palmer or Fox?

We need some pace and physical edge this summer. Absolutely evident.

Jos will have a list of players he would 'like' to move on. Loovens, Fletcher, Abdi, Matias, Fox, Rhodes and Jones are probably high on that list. Palmer, Hutchinson, Nuhiu, Pudil and Winnall could also be surplus to requirements. 

Problem is getting interest in a number of those with their contracts still active out of the club. If we can shift Fletcher, Abdi and Rhodes that's probably £100,000+ a week in wages cleared - a massive bonus.

It 'should' be a busy Summer as this season has proved we have work to do. A lot will rely on Chansiri and whether he plans to back Jos.

I'm sure it was said that Jos cost more than Carlos due to he's credentials and his record...

So taking that into account I would also assume if he is willing to pay more for a manager then we will be willing to spend on a squad restructure in the summer.. but it will be interesting to see what happens with current players too..

Some very difficult choices coming this summer, we're going to have to part with some of the family silver (Hoops, FF, etc.) to raise funds while we're stuck paying off high earners we can't shift like Fletcher, Abdi, Rhodes, etc. My hope is we can replace 3 strikers with the midfielders we need, hopefully unearthing some cheap gems while addressing the lack of grit, & pace.