A Tale Of Two Managers

8 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

If there's any money to spend at all.

The one good thing is, I suspect we'll not be having our pants pulled down in any transfer dealings with Kit-kat going in to bat. I don't think she'll take any prisoners when the spivs try it on.

Totally agree. Anybody who can sell us Wiggins for 750K and then a short time later sell us Fox for a similar amount, has got to be a lot smarter than our previous negotiators.

• Haha 3

You know times are bad when a manager is being praised for averaging 1.17 point per game - essentially relegation form in a normal season. There are certainly mitigating factors for this and he deserves time before we judge him. But I'm surprised people are quite so enthusiastic about the job he has done so far.

JL’s averages:

Points from last 17 = 20 (1.18 per game)

Points from last 10 = 13 (1.3 per game)

Points from last 6 = 12 (2 per game)

CC’s averages:

Points from first 6 = 9 (1.5 per game)

Points from first 10 = 13 (1.3 per game)

Points from first 23 = 27 (1.17 per game)

Improvement as players have returned. Couldnt have asked for more than that.

37 minutes ago, NorthernOwl said:

You know times are bad when a manager is being praised for averaging 1.17 point per game - essentially relegation form in a normal season. There are certainly mitigating factors for this and he deserves time before we judge him. But I'm surprised people are quite so enthusiastic about the job he has done so far.

int it nearly 54 points? so not quite relegation form.

i can think of maybe once when a side went down with 53 or 54 points, Peterborough about 6 years ago but Barnsley stayed up on goal difference with the same points.

i take your point though,

What has to be taken into consideration is that Jos would never start a season with the players hes had in this current run, he would also have a pre-season under his belt not to mention knowing the league much better than he did in this run.

to me it all points to a big improvement in the Points Per Game next season.

Jos has done well. the big thing hes done wrong is not turn all manic on the touchline or in the media, its all that satisfies some folk.

10 hours ago, hirstys_achilles said:

I really hope that is not the case. History shows we have far too many important players that are not available to play in enough games. Any team serious about promotion has to look at the stats and see any team with this many injury prone players will not realistically get promoted.

We’re probably stuck with them as no other club would take them on at the financial level with regards to the fee we would want and the wages the players would want?

35 minutes ago, GY-owl.4 said:

int it nearly 54 points? so not quite relegation form.

i can think of maybe once when a side went down with 53 or 54 points, Peterborough about 6 years ago but Barnsley stayed up on goal difference with the same points.

i take your point though,

What has to be taken into consideration is that Jos would never start a season with the players hes had in this current run, he would also have a pre-season under his belt not to mention knowing the league much better than he did in this run.

to me it all points to a big improvement in the Points Per Game next season.

Jos has done well. the big thing hes done wrong is not turn all manic on the touchline or in the media, its all that satisfies some folk.

Yes absolutely which is why it is too early to judge. But I think its fair to say 1.17 points per game will not be acceptable next season so these factors will have to make a big difference. Every chance that they might but we really don't know. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
11 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I don't fear the worst, just mid table mediocrity. 

Not taking anything away from him today, he deserves a lot of credit for us beating a team who were scoring goals for fun.

But until he can eradicate losing games before half time, we'll lose more than we'll win.

Maybe but with a full squad available and a full summer to get his own players, ideas,coaching and fitness regime in place I predict that we'll win more than we lose. Two wins and two defeats trumps four draws anyway. It's the recent wins that have brought us safety. Draws would have seen us still in the mire.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

13 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Strangely enough we won today against Hull with a back four. Ironically I believe the main reason we lost against Hull at Wembley was because we didn’t play with five in midfield. 

I would agree with you though that a formation with a strong back three and five in midfield should become our default formation. 

Err we played 

Hunt, Venancio, Lees, Thorniley, Boyd 

I didn't go school much and I'm not an accountant so don't work with figures all day but I'm sure that's 5.

14 hours ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Strangely enough we won today against Hull with a back four. Ironically I believe the main reason we lost against Hull at Wembley was because we didn’t play with five in midfield. 

I would agree with you though that a formation with a strong back three and five in midfield should become our default formation. 

the reason we lost to hull at wembley was the midfield was congested by them, as bruce knew we'd attempt to pick our way through it. adding another player into that mix wouldn't have helped us, we needed width, speed, and a cross to an attack supported by m/f, or as time went on a longer ball with the same m/f support.

bruce used the same two defensive banks of four against us that was widely known to unhinge arsenal, i'm not too disappointed we lost to hull, but i'm bitterly disappointed that we never turned up tactically.

13 hours ago, daleblue said:

Only stat missing which the CC followers may call into question is the opposition, was it top tier teams that CC Managed against, and was it JL only played against

lower placed teams.

If there about the same, then it shows just how good JL has done.

i think carlos made some look like 'top teams'.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Dot said:

Its an opinion mate

we all have them

its been pointed out many times that CC had the same team as Jos towards the end (the injuries), CC was hampered by the same injuries as Jos was

I'll give Jos his due though.....first time I've ever seen a 5-5 formation 

Jos is the not the man to take us forward

I hope I am wrong but I fear that I am not

you can't be certain of that.

what would you have made of wagner at 'uddersfield before last season started?

i thought carvalhal was a pisspoor appointment, after the first season it looked like i may have been wrong, but i wasn't.

give the bloke his pre season (with no money to pith up against the wall, as we all know who spent that) and see what he achieves, IF we can spend two and a half seasons under a bloke without a second idea in his head, i think we should be capable of giving this one a full season before judging him.

JL         CC  
12 Jan Sheffield Utd 0 - 0 Sheffield Wed   24 Sep Sheffield Wed 2 - 4 Sheffield Utd
20 Jan Sheffield Wed 0 - 0 Cardiff City   16 Sep Cardiff City 1 - 1 Sheffield Wed
30 Jan Middlesbrough 0 - 0 Sheffield Wed   23 Dec Sheffield Wed 1 - 2 Middlesbrough
3 Feb Sheffield Wed 1 - 3 Birmingham City   27 Sep Birmingham City 1 - 0 Sheffield Wed
10 Feb Barnsley 1 - 1 Sheffield Wed   28 Oct Sheffield Wed 1 - 1 Barnsley
13 Feb Sheffield Wed 2 - 0 Derby County   21 Oct Derby County 2 - 0 Sheffield Wed
20 Feb Millwall 2 - 1 Sheffield Wed   31 Oct Sheffield Wed 2 - 1 Millwall
24 Feb Sheffield Wed 2 - 4 Aston Villa   4 Nov Aston Villa 1 - 2 Sheffield Wed
3 Mar Bristol City 4 - 0 Sheffield Wed   18 Nov Sheffield Wed 0 - 0 Bristol City
6 Mar Sheffield Wed 1 - 2 Ipswich Town   22 Nov Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Sheffield Wed
10 Mar Sheffield Wed 1 - 1 Bolton   14 Oct Bolton 2 - 1 Sheffield Wed
17 Mar Leeds Utd 1 - 2 Sheffield Wed   1 Oct Sheffield Wed 3 - 0 Leeds Utd
30 Mar Sheffield Wed 4 - 1 Preston   5 Aug Preston 1 - 0 Sheffield Wed
2 Apr Sunderland 1 - 3 Sheffield Wed   16 Aug Sheffield Wed 1 - 1 Sunderland
7 Apr Sheffield Wed 0 - 1 Fulham   19 Aug Fulham 0 - 1 Sheffield Wed
10 Apr QP Rangers 4 - 2 Sheffield Wed   12 Aug Sheffield Wed 1 - 1 QP Rangers
14 Apr Hull City 0 - 1 Sheffield Wed   2 Dec Sheffield Wed 2 - 2 Hull City

Here's the comparison of the teams played the results. It's somewhat difficult to compare league position given it changes over time so it would be equally possible for JL to have beaten a team above us whereas CC had beaten the same team but when they were below us, or vice-versa. 

And for CC's other games:

26 Aug Burton Albion 1 - 1 Sheffield Wed
9 Sep Sheffield Wed 3 - 1 Nottm Forest
12 Sep Sheffield Wed 2 - 1 Brentford
25 Nov Reading 0 - 0 Sheffield Wed
9 Dec Norwich City 3 - 1 Sheffield Wed
15 Dec Sheffield Wed 0 - 1 Wolverhampton

1 hour ago, coopswfc76 said:

Err we played 

Hunt, Venancio, Lees, Thorniley, Boyd 

I didn't go school much and I'm not an accountant so don't work with figures all day but I'm sure that's 5.

Didn’t seem to me that Boyd was playing left wing back. Thorniley was left marking Wilson for pretty much the whole of the first when I was sat in Hulls south stand. On the other side Hunt seemed to be covering the right full back slot for the whole time he was on the pitch. 

Im not saying you’re wrong by the way, it might just be a case of Boyd being unable to do both jobs - the lad seems to be struggling for fitness at the moment.

13 hours ago, Sergeant Tibbs said:

I don't fear the worst, just mid table mediocrity. 

Not taking anything away from him today, he deserves a lot of credit for us beating a team who were scoring goals for fun.

But until he can eradicate losing games before half time, we'll lose more than we'll win.

Bristol City that's it as Birmingham & QPR were just individual errors so how do you stop them or change what stage of the game they happen in?

16 minutes ago, East Yorks Owl said:

Didn’t seem to me that Boyd was playing left wing back. Thorniley was left marking Wilson for pretty much the whole of the first when I was sat in Hulls south stand. On the other side Hunt seemed to be covering the right full back slot for the whole time he was on the pitch. 

Im not saying you’re wrong by the way, it might just be a case of Boyd being unable to do both jobs - the lad seems to be struggling for fitness at the moment.

In fairness Boyd is struggling big time with the role imo this has to be our number 1 priority in the summer a good LB/LWB. 

Because of Fox & Lee injury we don't any alternatives though as Reach legs are needed elsewhere and Penney is on loan.

17 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

In fairness Boyd is struggling big time with the role imo this has to be our number 1 priority in the summer a good LB/LWB. 

Because of Fox & Lee injury we don't any alternatives though as Reach legs are needed elsewhere and Penney is on loan.

Agree 100% I’ve personally felt our priority for the last couple of years has been two decent full backs.

31 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Bristol City that's it as Birmingham & QPR were just individual errors so how do you stop them or change what stage of the game they happen in?

Who's responsibility is it to coach players to avoid individual errors.

It's happenened 3 times in the last 2 months. 

At that rate we would lose 10-12 games a season before half time.

People talk about Jos getting us promoted.

No.

3 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

It's the quality of areNoTwhatTHEYseems OP (almost forensic) that keeps me coming back to Owlstalk.. I appreciate it more this morning over coffee than last night...errr when wine was involved.

Great thread.

WTF ®

Awww_Shucks!.gif.fdbeb5991261b5cc988dc4e6a2786cda.gif

You're too kind!

To be honest, it's the ridiculous rumours, Photoshop threads, and comically inane arguments which keep me coming back for the most part.

• Haha 2