Venancio & Lees

Have to admit that having posted in the other thread that I wouldn’t keep him for the price quoted Venancio did have a very good game today.

I wouldn’t exclude Thornily either.

Having been poor on Tuesday he did very well today 

Signing Venancio would cure a problem in an instant and allow Jos to move onto more pressing matters.

However I have a feeling he won't be an SWFC player next season - it's just a feeling I have and I don't know why.   I guess it's just years of being a Wednesday fan and knowing that we don't do things the easy way.

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

Have to admit that having posted in the other thread that I wouldn’t keep him for the price quoted Venancio did have a very good game today.

I wouldn’t exclude Thornily either.

Having been poor on Tuesday he did very well today 

Thornily has not only youth on his side but also DNA.    His dad was a pro rugby player so he'll have the right mentality and right home schooling to start with.    He's also not looked too shabby for an U23 player in the first team squad thus far from what I have seen - and I admit I saw nothing of him today.

5 minutes ago, HubristicClapper said:

Signing Venancio would cure a problem in an instant and allow Jos to move onto more pressing matters.

However I have a feeling he won't be an SWFC player next season - it's just a feeling I have and I don't know why.   I guess it's just years of being a Wednesday fan and knowing that we don't do things the easy way.

I've always thought that in a back 4 Venancio looks liable to make a costly mistake too often but he looks comfortable in a 3 and would make a useful squad player. Ridiculous that he never got a look in under Carlos.

The reason for the back 3 is very quickly Jos saw short comings in his defensive options. Only Lees is able to play in a back four without being exposed, but obviously he needs a proper partner. My other main concern with Fred is he couldn’t pass wind. Not great if we want play passing football. 

Whilst he’s been a saving grace as prior to him appearing we were looking more than a little short back there (well everywhere) I don’t think we should let the results blind us. They could have easily have had 2-3 today, similar to a few of the other games. 

Now i don’t know if that’s down to the defense or those in front of them. But I’m still not 2million Audi’s worth convinced he’s the right guy. But I’d trust in Jos! 

Be great to see what the lads like if he if he stays here surrounded by our better players. 

6 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

The reason for the back 3 is very quickly Jos saw short comings in his defensive options. Only Lees is able to play in a back four without being exposed, but obviously he needs a proper partner. My other main concern with Fred is he couldn’t pass wind. Not great if we want play passing football. 

Van Aken can pass for fun though.

Not fit of course right now but he's Lees future partner now.

We made a mistake letting Sasso go IMO, he wasn't the greatest but he was very decent and getting better by the week - we were absolutely crazy to look a gift horse like that in the mouth when our options were so horribly limited.

I'll be completely hopping mad if we make the exact same mistake with Venancio, who's already proving himself to be reliable, is also improving weekly, and has an absolutely impeccable attitude on the pitch. Literally no reason why we shouldn't be making this move permanent; he's a £4m defender if he's worth a penny, and I bet he won't cost us anything like that much if we don't muck about.

Venâncio did very well today, and I'd be very happy for us to sign him in the summer. Lees also had a decent game.

I thought Thorniley's defending was fairly sound for the most part but his distribution was mixed; two excellent long passes in that first half that both times presented us with excellent attacking opportunities, but then there were also about 4 shorter passes that went straight to Hull players. I do rate the lad though. Seems to have just the right amount of aggression for a defender.

• Like 1