Almain Abdi

6 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

I'm genunely surprised it's that many. Crikey.

Me to, they were consecutive games too.  Poor lamb must have been knackered.  

Probably why he needed the entire off season plas the first 7 games of this season to recuperate.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

I'm sorry that you are looking at the topic from only one angle. 

He had the opportunity to have a very long successful career at Hillsborough, with England and to realise his full potential in footballing terms. That constitutes a flop in my book, albeit, not in the narrower sense.

No need to be sorry old cork, it's only a chat.

I might not be looking at it from the point of view of the possible England caps etc he probably cost himself when he lost 8 years.  But that's probability and guesswork.

The O.P question was who has been the biggest Hillsborough flop.  

If you offered me a flop now who would fire us 58 goals in a two season stint id snap your hand off.  

1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

No need to be sorry old cork, it's only a chat.

I might not be looking at it from the point of view of the possible England caps etc he probably cost himself when he lost 8 years.  But that's probability and guesswork.

The O.P question was who has been the biggest Hillsborough flop.  

If you offered me a flop now who would fire us 58 goals in a two season stint id snap your hand off.  

A flop in my terms, is someone who lets others down. If he lets himself down that's up to him, but when he lets my club down then that's another matter....he's a flop ( a big time let down ) in this case a let down of character. 

If I offered you a cheat would you take that ?

28 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

A flop in my terms, is someone who lets others down. If he lets himself down that's up to him, but when he lets my club down then that's another matter....he's a flop ( a big time let down ) in this case a let down of character. 

If I offered you a cheat would you take that ?

Well we'll have to just agree to disagree on that score as I'm taking the O.P question as read. 

No doubt, and I don't disagree that the player let himself and the club down. And that he , through his own actions terribly ruined his own potential, which was great.  He let himself down and us. He'll be more aware of that than anybody.

I see his as  hugely wasted potential. 

Just as I saw Dalian Atkinsons career as wasted potential through a lack of real motivation to be the very best he could be. 

Would I take a cheat? No. Not knowingly. 

Evidence in court proved they had bet on their side to lose a game.

Which is shocking. Which was punished. I won't knock him for the games that there is no evidence against though where he scored a very impressive 58 goals though. 

17 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Would I take a cheat? No. Not knowingly. 

Evidence in court proved they had bet on their side to lose a game.

Which is shocking. Which was punished. I won't knock him for the games that there is no evidence against though where he scored a very impressive 58 goals though. 

Yes of course we can agree to differ.....No problem.

I really do not care how many goals he scored for my team or what he might now think, he was caught cheating whilst wearing a Sheff Wed shirt and his actions and flawed character brought disgrace to our club's doorstep big time. There is no mitigation to this. The fact that I have seen him score so many goals for us , celebrating at the time, holding him in such high esteem, makes the let down that much greater. But lets leave it there.

5 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

Yes of course we can agree to differ.....No problem.

I really do not care how many goals he scored for my team or what he might now think, he was caught cheating whilst wearing a Sheff Wed shirt and his actions and flawed character brought disgrace to our club's doorstep big time. There is no mitigation to this. The fact that I have seen him score so many goals for us , celebrating at the time, holding him in such high esteem, makes the let down that much greater. But lets leave it there.

No problem. Beauty of the game is the views and emotions it stirs in us and the differences of opinion between people on the same side.  It's what make it so interesting on these sites! 

Ps- Dare I ask you about Jay Bothroyd?! ;-):biggrin:

2 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

No problem. Beauty of the game is the views and emotions it stirs in us and the differences of opinion between people on the same side.  It's what make it so interesting on these sites! 

Ps- Dare I ask you about Jay Bothroyd?! ;-):biggrin:

No !!  We've spoken of enough negatives for one day thanks. :biggrin:

• Haha 1

This situation actually beggars belief now. Surely he's now fit and overcome his eye injury, yet can't even make matchday squad. Randomly appears on the bench for a game once every few weeks. Randomly plays an u23 game now n again. Then disappears. What the frock is wrong with this man?!

7 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Works about about £200k a game so far. Not including wages. 

It's been a disastrous move really.  

Shame for the us. Shame for the lad. 

Mind. Even when fit I'm not sure where he was supposedly going to fit into Carlos' 4-4-2.   All a bit of a random signing really.  

Shame he's had another set back as ironically I think he'd be well suited being the most advanced midfield player in Jos' 5-3-2.

Im still convinced he was fetched in to replace Kieran Lee but Lee did what he always does ( when fit ) showed his absolute class 

11 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Im still convinced he was fetched in to replace Kieran Lee but Lee did what he always does ( when fit ) showed his absolute class 

I'd not considered him replacing Lee! Suppose that that shows how ingrained his importance to the team is in my head I suppose!

18 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

No doubt down the years we've made some terrible signings. Players that just haven't made the grain or contributed to the cause, I remember the donnelly's, the deBilde's etc can anyone think of any bigger or better flops down the years?? 

Wim Jonk end of thread

• Haha 1