Dom Howson - #SWFC midfielder the club have failed to replace

Nearly two years ago, Alex Lopez played his part in the Owls side who secured a top-six finish and qualified for the Championship Play-Off Final. The Spaniard was a reliable performer and filled in when Hutchinson was unavailable for selection. He was an intelligent operator and his defensive discipline gave Lee the licence to bomb forward and support the attack.

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/dom-howson-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-the-midfielder-the-owls-have-tried-and-failed-to-replace-1-9111564

Owlstalk Shop

3 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

Nearly two years ago, Alex Lopez played his part in the Owls side who secured a top-six finish and qualified for the Championship Play-Off Final. The Spaniard was a reliable performer and filled in when Hutchinson was unavailable for selection. He was an intelligent operator and his defensive discipline gave Lee the licence to bomb forward and support the attack.

Read more at: https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/dom-howson-s-sheffield-wednesday-column-the-midfielder-the-owls-have-tried-and-failed-to-replace-1-9111564

Bit ironic it's buttercup chasing him down in the picture, and now we have him in our midfield setup 

2 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Well, the idea is we've replaced him with Pessy. But since we don't have Lee or Bannan and Reach and Jones have basically given up for the season, the whole thing just looks like a chaotic mess right now.

That's a bit harsh on Reach, isn't it? He's run his blood to water for us this season and has only missed 65 minutes of our league campaign. I wouldn't blame him for looking a little jaded right now!

As for Lopez, he was a very classy midfielder who really started to shine in the second half of his season with us. I'd have loved to have signed him permanently. Wasn't there talk at the time that the fee to sign him would have been quite high, though? 

3 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

That's a bit harsh on Reach, isn't it? He's run his blood to water for us this season and has only missed 65 minutes of our league campaign. I wouldn't blame him for looking a little jaded right now!

As for Lopez, he was a very classy midfielder who really started to shine in the second half of his season with us. I'd have loved to have signed him permanently. Wasn't there talk at the time that the fee to sign him would have been quite high, though? 

Was 2 million-ish if i remember. which sounds like a steal at this point.

Reach has been jaded since the early March. It's only a 9 month season, you don't get 2 of them off because you played the rest. He wasn't particularly great at the start of the season either, with Carlos changing his position every week. So, no I don't give massive credit just for turning up for kick off. Reach had about 4 good months this season, and that's not really enough. There are worse offenders, sure, but you don't get points just for turning up to your job. You have to do something too.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Reach has been jaded since the early March. It's only a 9 month season, you don't get 2 of them off because you played the rest. He wasn't particularly great at the start of the season either, with Carlos changing his position every week. So, no I don't give massive credit just for turning up for kick off. Reach had about 4 good months this season, and that's not really enough. There are worse offenders, sure, but you don't get points just for turning up to your job. You have to do something too.

How about being our top assist maker and top scoring midfielder?

17 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Reach is our player of the season. He has played in several positions for the team as well as creating and scoring goals.

25 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

We've got Abdi..............Almen Abdi..............I just don't think you understand

He's a little Swiss man he lives at  A & E we got Almen Abdi. lol

Edited by bradowl
  • Haha 7

Don't agree with this at all. Lopez did do well that season but he only made 24 appearances, a lot of which were from the bench. He only played 1400 minutes for us (15.6 games). 

We replaced him with Abdi and Jones which were good signings on paper but injury has got the better of Abdi and Jones didn't perform well enough to displace Lee, Hutch or Bannan last season. 

Disagree, he was decent and kept the ball moving quickly but it is a replacement for Hutchinson that has cost us the most points in my view. We lack aggression and a different facet to our play when he isn’t there. Lee and Bannan kept Lopez out of the playoff final. 

3 minutes ago, attyjake said:

Marcus Maddison  of Peterborough fits the bill, brilliant young up and coming midfielder/winger

Lets go and get him!

Up and coming? If we signed him this summer he would be 25. If he hasnt made it to the championship by now surely he isnt good enough