New Role for Hutchinson ?

4 hours ago, Whatahoot said:

In order to get more playing time for our bucks and in an effort to make better use of his undoubted talents , how about using Hutch, mostly, as a "Super Sub" ?

Perhaps if we utilise him differently he would spend less time on the treatment table and gather fewer cards on his way. He could stand in for full games, on a few necessary occasions, at centre back. But also provide cover from the bench for deep midfield, central midfield or central defence. If ever we are in trouble in a game with say 20 minutes to go, it could prove very effective to bring him on with a change of striker to provide greater drive.

The choice is either we are satisfied to get 20 full games from him (hopefully) or can we be smarter with his usage and get more out of him and perhaps lengthen his Wednesday career.there would be less chance hopefully of him breaking down. Of course he could still get injured in his 20 minute cameo's or see red, but surely an alternative usage could prove beneficial in the longer run, since he has two more years on his contract.  It may be less disruptive overall to the team and give somebody else a chance to make a midfield slot their own (maybe a new specific signing.)

I hate to say it but hutch is fkd

Hutch at CB or even at RB (those who went to Ipswich away in Antonio's last game would hopefully agree - he ran the game for us from there)

We need him on the pitch (and in defence he is probably less likely to get injured or sent off)

He needs to stay. His hair is cool and he is the most swoonsome player we have....

We can’t rely on him. It’s becoming so predictable in that he gets injured or he looks like getting sent off everytime he plays. 

Its a shame as he’s a very good player and he gives us a physical and competitive edge that we lack throughout the team. 

6 hours ago, cookeh said:

You're picking the best and ignoring the worst there.

13/14: 10 league games (7.8 games worth of minutes) *was only here for 17 games.

14/15: 20 league games. (13.5 games worth of minutes)

15/16: 25 league games. (20.4 worth of minutes)

16/17: 33 league games. (30.2 worth of minutes)

17/18: 8 league games. (5.6 worth of minutes)

That's the reality. Only once has spent more than half the season on the pitch, and even then it was only 65%.

He's not a reliable starter because he can't stay fit.

He's not a reliable back up because he can't stay fit.

He's effective off the bench occasionally i guess.. but are we really paying his wages for a few cameos?

I like Hutch. But he's not the best use of our resources.

This is the real point. He cannot be trusted upon to play much more than 20 games per season on average. In reality, we cannot sell him or pay up his contract, so we have to make best use of him. The question, therefore, is how do we do that ? I too like him and I think it is worth finding a way of getting better value from him. Thus my suggestion.

4 hours ago, Owlin' Wolf said:

You don’t usually use defensive midfielders as “super subs”, could be brought on to see out a game if leading I suppose but would be better if he or his replacement just played a full game. 

I take your point, but the Hutch dilemma is not a "usual" situation and might require a more imaginative solution than just getting him fit and waiting for his next disruptive breakdown. The question is,...do we want a better return from him being at the club and from his undoubted skills. We cannot expect to sell him or pay up the 2 years remaining on his contract. We need something out of him without him being a disruption to the team, by his continual injuries.

9 hours ago, room0035 said:

But for 4 season Nuihu has basically been crap before he scored this season he had gone nearly 40 games without a goal...

The first part of that sentence is sweeping and glib nonsense. The second part fails to acknowledge the bit part he had played for so long. For example, last season he made 21 appearances in the league, but it was for a combined 381 minutes (the equivalent of just over 4 full games). By his career average, perhaps he could have scored 1 goal with that level of action. Missing out on that by 1 goal is hardly surprising or disastrous.

• Like 1

Two points about Sam. Firstly he's prone to injury and secondly he never seems to learn that launching into reckless tackles  he is likely to pick up injuries, bookings and subsequent suspensions. He was, however, my choice for player of the season last year and did enough to be given a run at CB where he is seemingly less thoughtless in his tackling and where he is also required to do less running. So IMO CB might suit him better.

Edited by Beauchief Owl
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, cookeh said:

You're picking the best and ignoring the worst there.

13/14: 10 league games (7.8 games worth of minutes) *was only here for 17 games.

14/15: 20 league games. (13.5 games worth of minutes)

15/16: 25 league games. (20.4 worth of minutes)

16/17: 33 league games. (30.2 worth of minutes)

17/18: 8 league games. (5.6 worth of minutes)

That's the reality. Only once has spent more than half the season on the pitch, and even then it was only 65%.

He's not a reliable starter because he can't stay fit.

He's not a reliable back up because he can't stay fit.

He's effective off the bench occasionally i guess.. but are we really paying his wages for a few cameos?

I like Hutch. But he's not the best use of our resources.

Interesting stats the more he plays the higher we finish in the league. I think that is an issue to be considered 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Following on from your theme of selectivity why would you omit cup games

Two fairly obvious reasons.

1) The league is the focus. We want to get promoted, that's the number 1 goal.
2) Rotation happens a lot more in cup games, so adds more doubt to the numbers.

Hutchinson must be having some doubts over his future career himself; he's got a new chance here at Wednesday and has been brilliant when he's been fit, but his body is not up to it as much as he'd like. I don't see him wanting to move because he's already featuring heavily in our team, and I'm guessing he'd be uncertain over his own future as a player if he moved somewhere else and was injured & not fit to play where he ends up. So, could he be forced into retirement? If so, could he do a job for us on that side?

2 minutes ago, N0rtherner said:

Hutchinson must be having some doubts over his future career himself; he's got a new chance here at Wednesday and has been brilliant when he's been fit, but his body is not up to it as much as he'd like.

The worrying bit is that while he has a dodgy knee, which forced him to retire previously.. it's not the knee that's been keeping him out. Can't help but wonder if the training regime that keeps his knee in one piece is partly responsible for everything else falling apart.

As always, will hope he gets over the current woes and can make the 30 games mark next season. But if the opportunity is there to move him, then we probably should.. it's the sensible thing to do.

• Like 1

There is some wild speculation and lots of aimless (and at times ridiculous) statements on here so let’s add a bit of perspective...

All these silly stats being banded around show a curve of increased numbers of games played by Sam from joining us, up until this season where there has been a dramatic fall. This shows that when he joined us he gradually found his way into the first team, established himself, was able to recover from career ending injury and maintain some level of fitness, generally, to keep in the first team. The drop off in games played and the recurrence of injuries has occurred at the same exact point we have had many players out injured and a complete lack of fitness at the club. Add to that the change in medical and physio personnel etc. I’d go out on a limb here and say he’s not suddenly broken down because his career is over, he’s just had a bad season like the rest of the squad due to mismanagement. Isn’t that a more sensible and balanced view?

As for his temperament, if you coach out of him his hard tackling you change what he offers as a player. So yes, his number of bookings may come down but he won’t be the same combative player so there’s a huge risk there. Also, get it into his head to start pulling out of challenges or going in 50/50 could be dangerous, it could actually cause him more or worse injuries.

And on positional training, him being in defence means he will be called on to make tackles, so those of you saying he won’t get booked as often in defence need to reconsider that. True he will be facing the game more and meeting the oncoming player head on, as apposed to chasing back from midfield and lunging in but he will still have to track back in defence and make those last gasp tackles at times too, so why would his disciplinary record improve? Unless you coach his combative nature out of him and then he’s less of a player and people will go straight by him.

In truth on his day he is one hell of a player and his combative nature is what makes him that good, we would be mad to take that out of him. He has two seasons left, we won’t be moving him on unless he retires so let’s give him a good break at the end of this season and see if we can improve our fitness as a club and see if he comes back to as good as he was last season before we label him a crock.

As for making him a coach... If he wants to do the required coaching courses and earn a position as a coach at the club then fair enough. He’s a leader on the pitch that doesn’t mean he has the technical nouse to be a good coach. Paying for him to be on the coaching staff as little more than a cheerleader because he shouts a lot and has pashun doesn’t mean we should throw money at him to do so.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Two fairly obvious reasons.

1) The league is the focus. We want to get promoted, that's the number 1 goal.
2) Rotation happens a lot more in cup games, so adds more doubt to the numbers.

Also makes the injury absences look worse than reality. Similar with the drilling down to games time without referencing reason for incomplete games.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

1 hour ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Also makes the injury absences look worse than reality. Similar with the drilling down to games time without referencing reason for incomplete games.

No model is perfect. But Saying that I'm making the stats look worse by only taking league games seems a bit silly to me. The league is number one. If we get promoted i don't care if we go out in the first round of the cup.

1 hour ago, Will69 said:

he drop off in games played and the recurrence of injuries has occurred at the same exact point we have had many players out injured and a complete lack of fitness at the club.

I’d go out on a limb here and say he’s not suddenly broken down because his career is over, he’s just had a bad season like the rest of the squad due to mismanagement. Isn’t that a more sensible and balanced view?

It would be if his fitness training was the same as everyone else, so could fail in thd same way as everyone elses. Sam has his own fitness regime, he doesn't do the same thing as everyone else in that respect. So a correlation between Sam being out (which he has been more than not, barring one season) shouldn't be attributed to players doing different fitness training also being out.

35 minutes ago, cookeh said:

It would be if his fitness training was the same as everyone else, so could fail in thd same way as everyone elses. Sam has his own fitness regime, he doesn't do the same thing as everyone else in that respect. So a correlation between Sam being out (which he has been more than not, barring one season) shouldn't be attributed to players doing different fitness training also being out.

You’re missing the point. All our players have had injury issues and a lack of fitness this season. Regardless of what particular training programme they are on (and not a chance in hell you actually know what specific programme each player is on unless you work for the club in such a capacity, which you don’t) Sam has been hit with his own specific injuries collecting perfectly with the wider squad training and medical issues.