New Role for Hutchinson ?

9 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

If we get 30 + games from him next season with his qualities it will be hugely beneficial to us. Joey now here and improving and will share the load. This season has been a nightmare full stop with injuries exacerbated by mismanagement. Hutch himself had a misdiagnosis resulting in longer than necessary absence. Starts with a clean slate next season. Contracted anyway so we should use this terrific player prudently..

Can't argue with the first sentence.. I just don't think it's realistic, given he's only played 30 league games once in 4 years for us.

At some point you can't keep giving clean slates every season and instead make plans to actually move forward.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
33 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Can't argue with the first sentence.. I just don't think it's realistic, given he's only played 30 league games once in 4 years for us.

At some point you can't keep giving clean slates every season and instead make plans to actually move forward.

Played 30 and 34 competitive games the two seasons prior to this. Odd cup game but all competitive showing that 30+ games is realistic. This season has been an injury disaster for our first team all round.

Hutch is a terrific player who is contracted anyway. Clean slate is the realistic choice in this case.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
36 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Isn't he contracted until 2020?

I believe so. I'd imagine not on Fletcher, FF or JR level wages either. 

3 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

I believe so. I'd imagine not on Fletcher, FF or JR level wages either. 

Say on an impossibly conservative £5k a week... £520,000?

And people think we should just pay him off?

And then spend £500,000 less on his replacment who, if he had the same qualties as Hutch but without the injuries would probably be someone in the £3-4m bracket.

Where are people getting all this money from?!

4 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I don't think anyone is saying pay him off.

The suggestion is to sell him if we can.

I think getting a fee for someone with his medical history is about as likely as jay Bothroyd making anyones all time Wednesday XI if I'm honest.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, cookeh said:

I don't think anyone is saying pay him off.

The suggestion is to sell him if we can.

I can agree on that principle. Everyone has a price and one or two favourites will inevitably be cashed in during the summer IMO.

That said to get a 40 games a season player of Hutch's quality, commitment and resolve would cost a fair old wedge in both fee and wages. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, Lord Snooty said:

I think getting a fee for someone with his medical history is about as likely as jay Bothroyd making anyones all time Wednesday XI if I'm honest.

Not so sure. I could see a club paying a few hundred grand assuming his wage demands were reasonable. Possibly a club with parachute payments. Would be just our luck for him to help another club get promoted at our expense though.

7 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

That said to get a 40 games a season player of Hutch's quality, commitment and resolve would cost a fair old wedge in both fee and wages.

True. But we don't currently have a 40 games a season player of Hutch's quality, commitment and resolve.

lol

14 minutes ago, cookeh said:

True. But we don't currently have a 40 games a season player of Hutch's quality, commitment and resolve.

lol

or much money to spend on one without cashing in the family jewels.

Going to be an interesting summer in the market. 

Just now, Lord Snooty said:

Going to be an interesting summer in the market. 

That's for sure. I think we have enough resources to make the aquisitions we need. There's some decent free's available, Yiadom, Fabio, Bjelland would all help out our back line. We're top heavy, so the only real place we'd need to spend money then could be central midfield. Moving out 3 players for decent money should let us do that, and sort the books out at the same time.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
20 minutes ago, cookeh said:

lol

No but since 30 + that Hutch is capable of isn't sufficient for you then an upgrade to 40 games seems a reasonable aspiration given that we wouldn't get such a player for less than a few million.lol.....and I'll raise you one morelol

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

2 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

No but since 30 + that Hutch is capable of isn't sufficient for you then an upgrade to 40 games seems a reasonable aspiration given that we wouldn't get such a player for less than a few million.lol.....and I'll raise you one morelol

Did you see stats earlier in the thread?

That hutch has managed over 50% of the games he's been available for in only one of the 4 season he's been here.

I'm not trying to dump on him, he's a good player.. but this idea that he'll become a regular 30 game a season player is just fantasy.

It's time to face that reality and accept that we need to look at other options, if they're available.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Did you see stats earlier in the thread?

That hutch has managed over 50% of the games he's been available for in only one of the 4 season he's been here.

I'm not trying to dump on him, he's a good player.. but this idea that he'll become a regular 30 game a season player is just fantasy.

It's time to face that reality and accept that we need to look at other options, if they're available.

Yes they're flawed. Played 30 + competitive games for 2 seasons prior to this. 

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

34 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Yes they're flawed. Played 30 + competitive games for 2 seasons prior to this. 

Well, there's no point us discussing it mate.
For me.. the time he's on the pitch is the time he's on the pitch.

You're welcome to look at it differently.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
3 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Well, there's no point us discussing it mate.
For me.. the time he's on the pitch is the time he's on the pitch.

You're welcome to look at it differently.

Possibly not.

Absolutely .... in all competitive games.

Ta. I will.

Opinions differ. That's what this site is all about. 

Hutchinson is a very good player and we have to play him in a role which is most suited to his abilities and where he does not incur bookings and is overstretched resulting in collisions with opponents.

To me this would be in defence and probably at right back. This season he has made several returns and quickly got injured again this was even the situation when recovered properly. Therefore it has to be considered that his injury has finally caught up with him and a second retirement may beckon.

Been told he will be working in the superstore in the week and selling programmes on matchdays with Abdi** and Lee

Edit: ** Abdi has been dropped from the programme seller role due to potential paper cuts and muscle strain from handling heavy coinage 

2 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Isn't he contracted until 2020?

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

Say on an impossibly conservative £5k a week... £520,000?

And people think we should just pay him off?

And then spend £500,000 less on his replacment who, if he had the same qualties as Hutch but without the injuries would probably be someone in the £3-4m bracket.

Where are people getting all this money from?!

1 hour ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Played 30 and 34 competitive games the two seasons prior to this. . Clean slate is the realistic choice in this case.

1 hour ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Played 30 and 34 competitive games the two seasons prior to this. Odd cup game but all competitive showing that 30+ games is realistic. This season has been an injury disaster for our first team all round.

Hutch is a terrific player who is contracted anyway. Clean slate is the realistic choice in this case.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

The suggestion is to sell him if we can

1 hour ago, Lord Snooty said:

4 minutes ago, Quist said:

Hutchinson is a very good player and we have to play him in a role which is most suited to his abilities and where he does not incur bookings and is overstretched resulting in collisions with opponents.

To me this would be in defence and probably at right back. This season he has made several returns and quickly got injured again this was even the situation when recovered properly. Therefore it has to be considered that his injury has finally caught up with him and a second retirement may beckon.

Sorry to cut a few of your quotes down, but I wanted to get to the gist of my original post. We have the gist right here and include O'Connor's quote from page 4, which is basically to sell Hutch.

It is a real puzzle as to how to look at Hutch's situation and come out with the best solution for Sheff Wed. The one thing everyone agrees upon is that he is a very good footballer when fit.

Why cannot we look at using him differently for his remaining two seasons, mostly from the bench to cover centre back, midfield and right back ?  Filling in for a full game due to others injuries at centre back for the odd game. Trying to actually play him less but make his contribution more effective, providing extra drive late in games when we need it etc.It gives the team less of a negative impact due to his lay offs and a better chance of continuity for the rest of the team, indeed giving the team a boost where they need it during a game.

• Like 1