New Role for Hutchinson ?

7 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I sort of agree with Lomas, that Pessy could step into the role. His ball retention is really good and with better players around him he'll get better and better. Jones and Reach are hardly helping him out right now.

Someone mentioned moving Palmer to central mid.. I know he used to play there, but from what i remember he wasn't particularly effective there. One guy in the squad i do think could play there tho is van Aken. He's not too slow, 6'4", decent on the ball. To me he sort of seems made for it.. similar to McDonald at Fulham. Ideally I want to steal George Thorne from Derby as I think he's player, but van Aken could well do the job we need.

Think you could be right about Pessy once he gets used to the championship. Not sure about Van Aken I've not seen him play enough yet.

The trouble is he is still our best defensive centre midfielder when fit - due to the previous regime neglecting their duty and not buying a adequate replacement we have to keep him for the foreseeable 

Ive lost patience with him this season - never learns from his ridiculous mistakes and seems to blame everyone else for his short comings 

3 hours ago, Whatahoot said:

In order to get more playing time for our bucks and in an effort to make better use of his undoubted talents , how about using Hutch, mostly, as a "Super Sub" ?

Perhaps if we utilise him differently he would spend less time on the treatment table and gather fewer cards on his way. He could stand in for full games, on a few necessary occasions, at centre back. But also provide cover from the bench for deep midfield, central midfield or central defence. If ever we are in trouble in a game with say 20 minutes to go, it could prove very effective to bring him on with a change of striker to provide greater drive.

The choice is either we are satisfied to get 20 full games from him (hopefully) or can we be smarter with his usage and get more out of him and perhaps lengthen his Wednesday career.there would be less chance hopefully of him breaking down. Of course he could still get injured in his 20 minute cameo's or see red, but surely an alternative usage could prove beneficial in the longer run, since he has two more years on his contract.  It may be less disruptive overall to the team and give somebody else a chance to make a midfield slot their own (maybe a new specific signing.)

You don’t usually use defensive midfielders as “super subs”, could be brought on to see out a game if leading I suppose but would be better if he or his replacement just played a full game. 

4 minutes ago, Owlin' Wolf said:

You don’t usually use defensive midfielders as “super subs”, could be brought on to see out a game if leading I suppose but would be better if he or his replacement just played a full game. 

Yep, towards the end  of his time we bought on Semedo to do just that.. it doesn't hurt to have a halfway reliable defensive mid on your bench for that reason.

The problem is that Hutch's fitness is such that he might not be available for the games where you need him to do that.. so you need someone else. Which kinda of makes Hutch an extravagance.

I always thought he was a better CB than midfielder. Maybe that would put less stress on his bod but who knows. Id much prefer him there anyway if hes fitness picks up again to last seasons levels.

1 minute ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Retain in a coaching capacity

I'm curious why people want him as a coach.

Afaik he has no coaching badge and hasn't ever shown any interest in it.

He shouts a bit sometimes.. and fans like him.

I'm not sure those a grounds for a job for life tho.

Just now, cookeh said:

Fair point but he loves the game, enthusiastic etc

..it worked for Keegan (to a point!)

Granted he would obviously have to go through the necessary training etc but get the sense he would do what’s necessary. He probably feels he has a lot more to give too which is half the battle. 

It’s not all about badges etc - He has worked under some decent managers and came through Chelsea’s system so will have learnt a lot, plus he comes across as someone with some nouse too

Did Clough and Taylor have any badges when their careers ended..? They did ok 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 hours ago, cookeh said:

You're picking the best and ignoring the worst there.

13/14: 10 league games (7.8 games worth of minutes) *was only here for 17 games.

14/15: 20 league games. (13.5 games worth of minutes)

15/16: 25 league games. (20.4 worth of minutes)

16/17: 33 league games. (30.2 worth of minutes)

17/18: 8 league games. (5.6 worth of minutes)

That's the reality. Only once has spent more than half the season on the pitch, and even then it was only 65%.

He's not a reliable starter because he can't stay fit.

He's not a reliable back up because he can't stay fit.

He's effective off the bench occasionally i guess.. but are we really paying his wages for a few cameos?

I like Hutch. But he's not the best use of our resources.

Following on from your theme of selectivity why would you omit cup games; or can't injuries happen in those games?

If you're going to drill down to games worth of minutes you really ought to indicate when coming off the bench and tactical substitutions off as they don't indicate lack of fitness.

This season has been his worst and they have included a hernia, a break and a misdiagnosed injury that extended his layoff, He's one of a catalogue of injured players this season that suggests there is more to it than player fallibility.

We don't know what his contract is but in view of excellence the notion that we pay him off is folly IMO.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
13 minutes ago, cookeh said:

I do agree with this though. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
2 hours ago, room0035 said:

I understand what you are saying.

But for 4 season Nuihu has basically been crap before he scored this season he had gone nearly 40 games without a goal but when managed properly and played in a formation that works he has suddenly started scoring goals could if we found the correct role for Hutch have the same.

The way he throws himself into challenges cannot be good for a player with a dodgy knee but would he be able to stop himself in the heat of the game - I am not sure. I think he would be a good right sided center back when playing a three, he is a good organiser and defensively sound and hopefully would not be jumping into challengers the way he does playing central midfield. But we have to get him fit first and when the squad as a whole have not got basic fitness what chance has the guy with a dodgy knee.

I don't think that Nuhiu has been crap for 4 years. I do agree though that he has flourished hugely under Jos.

4 hours ago, Whatahoot said:

In order to get more playing time for our bucks and in an effort to make better use of his undoubted talents , how about using Hutch, mostly, as a "Super Sub" ?

Perhaps if we utilise him differently he would spend less time on the treatment table and gather fewer cards on his way. He could stand in for full games, on a few necessary occasions, at centre back. But also provide cover from the bench for deep midfield, central midfield or central defence. If ever we are in trouble in a game with say 20 minutes to go, it could prove very effective to bring him on with a change of striker to provide greater drive.

The choice is either we are satisfied to get 20 full games from him (hopefully) or can we be smarter with his usage and get more out of him and perhaps lengthen his Wednesday career.there would be less chance hopefully of him breaking down. Of course he could still get injured in his 20 minute cameo's or see red, but surely an alternative usage could prove beneficial in the longer run, since he has two more years on his contract.  It may be less disruptive overall to the team and give somebody else a chance to make a midfield slot their own (maybe a new specific signing.)

sounds like an option :)

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
6 minutes ago, poite said:

Got to 'super sub' and stopped reading. I assume the rest of the post was ridiculous

It wasn't.

2 hours ago, shezzas left peg said:

partner hunt and hutch at cb

Would make things confusing for the ref when two of them get a yellow, as he might give the first one a red by accident!

Edited by bobness
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, room0035 said:

I understand what you are saying.

But for 4 season Nuihu has basically been crap before he scored this season he had gone nearly 40 games without a goal but when managed properly and played in a formation that works he has suddenly started scoring goals could if we found the correct role for Hutch have the same.

The way he throws himself into challenges cannot be good for a player with a dodgy knee but would he be able to stop himself in the heat of the game - I am not sure. I think he would be a good right sided center back when playing a three, he is a good organiser and defensively sound and hopefully would not be jumping into challengers the way he does playing central midfield. But we have to get him fit first and when the squad as a whole have not got basic fitness what chance has the guy with a dodgy knee.

He's a wholehearted battler who would be sorely missed IMO.However. I admit there's a downside...

I'm sitting on the fence.

Hutch is badly missed when not playing.

Not that I've anything against Polupessy - he may well come good but...

I was sorry to see Semedo go. Maybe he wasn't the greatest of championship midfielders but he didn't half put a shift in.

I wish we'd kept him as cover.