New Role for Hutchinson ?

In order to get more playing time for our bucks and in an effort to make better use of his undoubted talents , how about using Hutch, mostly, as a "Super Sub" ?

Perhaps if we utilise him differently he would spend less time on the treatment table and gather fewer cards on his way. He could stand in for full games, on a few necessary occasions, at centre back. But also provide cover from the bench for deep midfield, central midfield or central defence. If ever we are in trouble in a game with say 20 minutes to go, it could prove very effective to bring him on with a change of striker to provide greater drive.

The choice is either we are satisfied to get 20 full games from him (hopefully) or can we be smarter with his usage and get more out of him and perhaps lengthen his Wednesday career.there would be less chance hopefully of him breaking down. Of course he could still get injured in his 20 minute cameo's or see red, but surely an alternative usage could prove beneficial in the longer run, since he has two more years on his contract.  It may be less disruptive overall to the team and give somebody else a chance to make a midfield slot their own (maybe a new specific signing.)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Whatahoot said:

The choice is either we are satisfied to get 20 full games from him (hopefully) or can we be smarter with his usage and get more out of him and perhaps lengthen his Wednesday career.

Or.. move him on and look for a replacement who can play 40 games a season.

21 minutes ago, twolaptops said:

He weakens a strong bench when he starts because you have to legislate for him being subbed  at some stage

He strengthens a bench though. Can slot in seamlessly at CB, FB or CM.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 hour ago, cookeh said:

He's a 30 to 35 games a season man of high quality. Keep for me. Needs good cover/competition though.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Who'd pay for him with his injury record? 

It'd more likely mean giving him a free.

And with two years to run at even the most conservative guess we'd need to pay him up £500k. Probably more.

Then spend money on a replacement who offers the same qualities without the injury record and how much do those players cost? 2,3,4 million?

With the profit and sustainability limit nearing crunch point for us is that a realities option?

2 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

He's a 30 to 35 games a season man of high quality. Keep for me. Needs good cover/competition though.

You're picking the best and ignoring the worst there.

13/14: 10 league games (7.8 games worth of minutes) *was only here for 17 games.

14/15: 20 league games. (13.5 games worth of minutes)

15/16: 25 league games. (20.4 worth of minutes)

16/17: 33 league games. (30.2 worth of minutes)

17/18: 8 league games. (5.6 worth of minutes)

That's the reality. Only once has spent more than half the season on the pitch, and even then it was only 65%.

He's not a reliable starter because he can't stay fit.

He's not a reliable back up because he can't stay fit.

He's effective off the bench occasionally i guess.. but are we really paying his wages for a few cameos?

I like Hutch. But he's not the best use of our resources.

• Like 1

Hutchinson was subbed 7 times in 34 games (21%) last season, which doesn't compare too badly with our other central midfielders...

Bannan was subbed 9 times in 46 games (20%).

Jones was subbed 5 times in 31 games (16%).

Lee was subbed 5 times in 28 games (18%).

Abdi was subbed 9 times in 16 games (56%).

Edited by areNOTwhatTHEYseem

Personally he has passion and pride in the team if we could have 11 of him fit we would walk the championship. But he has a bum knee and has been pretty badly managed for 2 years being force to play 3 games a week and it has finally knackered him. Under Gray he didn't play as much but barely had an injury of significance. 

For me i would get rid of Bullen as he adds little to the coaching staff and bring Hutch in as a first team coach, at the very least he would be giving the players a rollocking from the dug out if they were not performing. I could very easy see him in a few years making the set up to manager.

We need to keep him at the club in some capacity but if that is not in he playing staff then I think he would make a very good coach and have the passion the fans seem to crave, when the current management look like they are nursing a tooth ache most of the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Then spend money on a replacement who offers the same qualities without the injury record and how much do those players cost? 2,3,4 million?

With the profit and sustainability limit nearing crunch point for us is that a realities option?

If he's not playing, he's not offering any qualities.

Someone would take him if the price is right. But obviously if we can't sell then we can't sell and we just have to make do. The OP was suggesting there were only 2 possible options, that's not the case.

Imo our number one option should be to try and move him on.

If we can't we try and get as much game time out of him as we can (1. because he's good. 2. because it'll make him saleable)

If he's just a crock and we can't get more than 10 minutes out of him, then fine. he becomes a sub at best as the OP suggested.

At no point should be try and 'make a role' for a player. What we spend on players need to be worth it. and hanging on to hutch so he can be a supersub once every 6 months is not worth it.

3 minutes ago, cookeh said:

You're picking the best and ignoring the worst there.

13/14: 10 league games (7.8 games worth of minutes) *was only here for 17 games.

14/15: 20 league games. (13.5 games worth of minutes)

15/16: 25 league games. (20.4 worth of minutes)

16/17: 33 league games. (30.2 worth of minutes)

17/18: 8 league games. (5.6 worth of minutes)

That's the reality. Only once has spent more than half the season on the pitch, and even then it was only 65%.

He's not a reliable starter because he can't stay fit.

He's not a reliable back up because he can't stay fit.

He's effective off the bench occasionally i guess.. but are we really paying his wages for a few cameos?

I like Hutch. But he's not the best use of our resources.

But.

He's got two years left on his contract and we're not likely to get any buyers for him, and we can't afford to pay him off.

Just now, Hookowl said:

He's got two years left on his contract and we're not likely to get any buyers for him, and we can't afford to pay him off.

Well, just have a wee cry about it then, eh?

I've said what we should do. you say it's not likely.. cool. Does that mean don't try?

1 minute ago, cookeh said:

If he's not playing, he's not offering any qualities.

Someone would take him if the price is right. But obviously if we can't sell then we can't sell and we just have to make do. The OP was suggesting there were only 2 possible options, that's not the case.

Imo our number one option should be to try and move him on.

If we can't we try and get as much game time out of him as we can (1. because he's good. 2. because it'll make him saleable)

If he's just a crock and we can't get more than 10 minutes out of him, then fine. he becomes a sub at best as the OP suggested.

At no point should be try and 'make a role' for a player. What we spend on players need to be worth it. and hanging on to hutch so he can be a supersub once every 6 months is not worth it.

I understand what you are saying.

But for 4 season Nuihu has basically been crap before he scored this season he had gone nearly 40 games without a goal but when managed properly and played in a formation that works he has suddenly started scoring goals could if we found the correct role for Hutch have the same.

The way he throws himself into challenges cannot be good for a player with a dodgy knee but would he be able to stop himself in the heat of the game - I am not sure. I think he would be a good right sided center back when playing a three, he is a good organiser and defensively sound and hopefully would not be jumping into challengers the way he does playing central midfield. But we have to get him fit first and when the squad as a whole have not got basic fitness what chance has the guy with a dodgy knee.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

I do believe pelupessy can be that replacement with a nice full pre season training should be used to the English way by then I recon hell be a huge asset next year for us

Edited by Lomas613
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, cookeh said:

Well, just have a wee cry about it then, eh?

I've said what we should do. you say it's not likely.. cool. Does that mean don't try?

Not crying about anything, I'm just saying what the likely outcome is.

I would like to see an outcome where we could either sell him and obtain a genuine reliable replacement or, give him a coaching role and get the same replacement, but I can't see either happening.

So in the event that neither does happen I would just hope that he can overcome his latest injury, get a good pre-season and possibly be managed better.

Edited by Hookowl

20 minutes ago, room0035 said:

But for 4 season Nuihu has basically been crap before he scored this season he had gone nearly 40 games without a goal but when managed properly and played in a formation that works he has suddenly started scoring goals could if we found the correct role for Hutch have the same.

It's a lot easier to play to someone's strengths so they can score goals than it is to make someone able to actually run for 40 games a season. We can't change tactis to make Hutch fitter. He's still going to have the body he has, sadly.

17 minutes ago, Hookowl said:

obtain a genuine reliable replacement

I sort of agree with Lomas, that Pessy could step into the role. His ball retention is really good and with better players around him he'll get better and better. Jones and Reach are hardly helping him out right now.

Someone mentioned moving Palmer to central mid.. I know he used to play there, but from what i remember he wasn't particularly effective there. One guy in the squad i do think could play there tho is van Aken. He's not too slow, 6'4", decent on the ball. To me he sort of seems made for it.. similar to McDonald at Fulham. Ideally I want to steal George Thorne from Derby as I think he's player, but van Aken could well do the job we need.

For me if the cash quoted for venancio is as high in reality I'd not take up the option and partner hunt and hutch at cb, he's more mature leads others around him and organises things or in the middle of a three if Jos persists with 5 at the back and look to strengthwn the midfield or left back instead. 

At cb he will get injured less as its not as physically demanding or as many cards due to the fact he's less reckless. If we're going to get the best / most use of his quality on the pitch this maybe should be how we use hutch for me.