Here's why #SWFC should give Sam Winnall a second chance

Sheffield Wednesday fan Louis Shackshaft says in The Star today that the Owls should bring Sam Winnall back into the fold at Hillsborough

It seems crazy to think that the future of Sam Winnall is in doubt despite him scoring 78 league goals throughout his career and proving himself to be one of the Football League’s most prolific strikers. 

When Sheffield Wednesday stole Winnall from Barnsley for a nominal fee back in January 2017, I was intrigued to see if the inventive striker could make a distinguished career in the Championship with – then at least – promotion chasing side...

https://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/football/sheffield-wednesday/sheffield-wednesday-fan-column-it-d-be-great-to-see-sam-winnall-given-a-second-chance-1-9111984?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Owlstalk Shop

If we can somehow get money for Rhodes and Fletcher I'd happily give Winnall a chance in the squad. If we can't and/or by some miracle Hirst signs a new deal I would think Winnall is one of our players most likely to bring in a return on investment and could help avoid FFP

Used right he scores goals.. no question.

But.. we're stocked for strikers and at the same time financially in the hole..

He's very much desired by Derby.. so cashing in seems the only sensible course..

unless someone wants to give us 15m for Joao.

• Like 1

He's one of our few saleable assets - not too old, not going to be on high wages and if he can shift the injury there would be suitors for him (unlike a lot of our squad). Given we're unlikely to want to part with Fessi, I can see Winnall being sold to help balance the books.

38 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

If FF stays I can't see the club having him back. Burnt his bridges at Swfc. 

Well FF can fizz off then

In fact I would bring Winnall back and make him club captain.

Edited by George
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

35 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

If FF stays I can't see the club having him back. Burnt his bridges at Swfc. 

It's all part of football management. Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham famously hated the sight of each other but it didn't stop them being a prolific partnership for Man Utd.

If, when Winnall is back, Jos can get the best out of both of them then that has to be the best solution.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

If we can somehow get money for Rhodes and Fletcher I'd happily give Winnall a chance in the squad. If we can't and/or by some miracle Hirst signs a new deal I would think Winnall is one of our players most likely to bring in a return on investment and could help avoid FFP

Hirst looks bound for Man U.

Winnall has an injury that will keep him out of football until approaching  the Jan 2019 transfer window. 

Derby would only want him for a knock down price in those circumstances which should not suit Wednesday's valuation.

If an agreement is already in place he'll continue his rehabilitation in Derby.

If not we'll probably have a further addition to the Hillsborough sick list til Christmas.

Sam Winnall in 2 season with Barnsley scored a lot of goals, when we signed him he had scored more headed goals than any other player in the league so what do we do - play it to his feet. 

He was a £500k version of Jordan Rhodes and if he had been given the chances Rhodes was, he would have scored a lot more goals. But now needs must, we have too many strikers we won't find anyone outside of S6 stupid enough to take Fletcher on and on £35k+ a week, Hooper has a mystery injury that has kept him out for 4 months and the club continue to not have a clue, Fessi is coming back from ligament damage and often players are not the same after these injuries. That leaves Rhodes on £40k+ a week we will struggle to find anyone to pay his salary and a £5m+ fee for him and I can see a loan till January somewhere like Scotland as a good option, Nuihu may or may not resign and Joao has a little over a year left on his contract.

That leaves Winnall a player wanted by derby who we could get in the region of £2-3m for who I think will be sacrificed not to mention he does work well with others and picking between him and Fessi the little man will win every time. 

6 minutes ago, wawawuto said:

We lack players who will consistently fight for the shirt and always at least put 100% in. Winnall does both imo. Will be gutted if he is sold, would much rather see rhodes/ fletcher moved on than him

Makes sense to sell a striker who will be fit in August for one who wont be fit until january at best

21 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Sam Winnall in 2 season with Barnsley scored a lot of goals, when we signed him he had scored more headed goals than any other player in the league so what do we do - play it to his feet. 

He was a £500k version of Jordan Rhodes and if he had been given the chances Rhodes was, he would have scored a lot more goals. But now needs must, we have too many strikers we won't find anyone outside of S6 stupid enough to take Fletcher on and on £35k+ a week, Hooper has a mystery injury that has kept him out for 4 months and the club continue to not have a clue, Fessi is coming back from ligament damage and often players are not the same after these injuries. That leaves Rhodes on £40k+ a week we will struggle to find anyone to pay his salary and a £5m+ fee for him and I can see a loan till January somewhere like Scotland as a good option, Nuihu may or may not resign and Joao has a little over a year left on his contract.

That leaves Winnall a player wanted by derby who we could get in the region of £2-3m for who I think will be sacrificed not to mention he does work well with others and picking between him and Fessi the little man will win every time. 

Unless a deal has already been agreed I can't see Derby parting with £2-3M for Winnall with his injury liable to keep him out for about half of next season.

Be nice if they did though. :rolleyes:

Guest HillsboroughOwlNI

Alongside Forestieri and Nuhiu he would score an absolute shedload. But that's only if him and Nando can kiss and make up.