Patience, our time will come again, hopefully.

A few 'elite' clubs, namely Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal and latterly Man. City and Chelsea are continuously battling  each other for honours while the rest of us also-rans feed off the scraps.

They constantly rebuild and improve, never sitting on hands and waiting for a good team to grow old before replacing it.

Lucky them.

The rest of us, without the money success brings, have to battle on in hope of one day getting it just right and putting out a team good enough to challenge the elite.

It has been done;

In my 50 years of supporting Wednesday I've seen two successful, exciting teams;

The one begun by Big Jack and finely tuned by Wilko. Some would say not great to watch, boring long balls etc. Not in my view; I loved 'em all; Sterland, Varadi, Bannister, Chapman and the rest.

They were usurped though by the team built by Big Ron and honed by Tricky Trev. We won the Rumbelows cup and narrowly lost to Arsenal in two cup finals. Now that was a team to watch. Legends, all of them.

But it's all been said before on here before so I move on.

To back up what I'm trying to say, here are a few examples of clubs who've managed to upset the odds and actually win something;

Champions:

Derby, 1972 champions, managed by Clough and Taylor.

Forest, champions in 1978 under Clough and Taylor then went on to win the European cup twice!

Villa, champions in 1981, European cup winners the following year.

Everton, won it in 1985 with Howard Kendal's school of science.

Leeds United, twice champions, under Revie in the late sixties and Wilko in 1992.

Blackburn Rovers in 1995 with the dream combo of Sutton and Shearer.

Leicester city in 2016, when that Vardy fired 'em to the top.

It can be done!

The cups offer an even better chance for success; FA cup winners in my time include Sunderland, Coventry and Wigan.

We've won a cup too.

So, SWFC, are you going to get it right once more in my lifetime?

We're competing with 20 or 30 others and we can't all be winners but,

Hope springs eternal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The key is to get to the prem and get in on the big money as a starter. 

The next stage is to stay there or at least get back there while parachute money is available.

Once established with regular TV income we can compete for a top 10 position. 

It's all about money

Sadly, I don't see it. 

The elite is more fixed than was so in the past. The top six clubs are global brands, and playing in a different financial league. That in my view is more likely to intensify over time because the model for allocating broadcasting income is likely to get less redistributive as platforms diversify (FB, Amazon). The hard truth is that relative to what they contribute to the collective, the big clubs are undercompensated when the rights income divides up. Watford - Burnley does not pack the Vancouver sports bars. Arsenal - Man U does.

To an English observer outside of the top six it looks a closed shop but judged by the standards of international leagues it is competitive enough, and will be more so if Arsenal regenerate.  

I think we can establish ourselves as premier league regulars/semi-regulars, but that's true of many clubs. 

What we were able to do in the 80s and early 90 sadly isn't relevant. The economics are completely changed

1 minute ago, Treborowl said:

Aye maybe I could have put that differently.

Nah mate..We've all said it before, sadly its probably true again.

It just gets wearying to hear it, doesn't make it wrong, 

waiting 20 minutes for a bus is patience..waiting 20 years for a bloody football team is soul destroying

• Haha 2

I was born in the late 70's but grew up in the 80's and 90's I got to see my team in the top flight, win a cup final, visit Wembley 4 times in one season, play in European competition, have the likes of Sheridan, Waddle, Hirst, Walker, Di Canio.

I don't think I have had it bad, we got to the play off a few season ago and the atmosphere that we the fans produced that day still sends a chill down my spine thinking about it, the stadium was moving for 90 minutes under our noise.

We unfortunately are now a rich mans (apparently) play thing who seem to be getting bored with us so we soon may be sold to another be it a footballing man (who seem to be few and far between) or someone looking to take the next step or milk the fans and the club for what they can. 

For me the sad thing is the fans never got to see the owls when they were good and ranked in the top 5 or 6 teams in the country in the mid 90's - hopefully we come again but I personally cannot see it happening with the current chairman or management. The recruitment for 2 years has been poor yet DC thinks he has done well, the performance though from the squad players for 15+ games have been very poor 100% passion and commitment is expected whatever level your ability is and we don't show that game in game out. The manager does not seem to be able to drill the basics into the team and if he is still here come July and preseason I can only see another season of struggle with us the life blood of the club paying Premier League prices to watch it.

1 minute ago, room0035 said:

I was born in the late 70's but grew up in the 80's and 90's I got to see my team in the top flight, win a cup final, visit Wembley 4 times in one season, play in European competition, have the likes of Sheridan, Waddle, Hirst, Walker, Di Canio.

I don't think I have had it bad, we got to the play off a few season ago and the atmosphere that we the fans produced that day still sends a chill down my spine thinking about it, the stadium was moving for 90 minutes under our noise.

We unfortunately are now a rich mans (apparently) play thing who seem to be getting bored with us so we soon may be sold to another be it a footballing man (who seem to be few and far between) or someone looking to take the next step or milk the fans and the club for what they can. 

For me the sad thing is the fans never got to see the owls when they were good and ranked in the top 5 or 6 teams in the country in the mid 90's - hopefully we come again but I personally cannot see it happening with the current chairman or management. The recruitment for 2 years has been poor yet DC thinks he has done well, the performance though from the squad players for 15+ games have been very poor 100% passion and commitment is expected whatever level your ability is and we don't show that game in game out. The manager does not seem to be able to drill the basics into the team and if he is still here come July and preseason I can only see another season of struggle with us the life blood of the club paying Premier League prices to watch it.

Can't argue with any of that...but would still neg you if possible for depressing the f.ook outta me 

I was fortunate enough to follow us during the 90's and went to most of the away matches. In those days I expected everything and after losing got the face on. Nowadays, it's different I go with my lads and I treat it as father/son time which I will never get back. Of course it's up and down but that's following Wednesday. So when we get a trip to Wembley against Hull it's a special day. 

Many 'smaller' teams have proved it can be done. Never say never.

• Like 1

We peaked in the early 90s...we will never be that good again..luckily for me I was at my best age when we wer good..goin to palace in with a shout of winning the top division..sorties into Europe..cup finals etc..I realised at the time..this is as good as it gets...just accept it then you won't be as angry when we lose a few