Sean Clare future in doubt

He's better than any other youngsters we've brought through in that sort of position in the past 20 years.

That's not saying much, admittedly, but it's true nontheless. He's the best and brightest prospect we currently have for a home-grown midfielder.

I wanna see Penney get a shot next, regardless of how this plays out.

edit: Also, Clare's a fool to himself if he goes, I honestly believe that - not just sour grapes. Hirst I might reluctantly admit to seeing other, potentially better options for, given his somewhat unique circumstances; Clare I genuinely wouldn't.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

For me, getting Hirst and Clare signed up, is one of the most important issues right now After the recruitment debacle of the last two years, we need to see that lessons have been learned A younger, more dynamic profile for the squad, is the way forward, and as these two are the poster boys of our development programme, it’s imperative that we keep them

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

For me, getting Hirst and Clare signed up, is one of the most important issues right now After the recruitment debacle of the last two years, we need to see that lessons have been learned A younger, more dynamic profile for the squad, is the way forward, and as these two are the poster boys of our development programme, it’s imperative that we keep them

Agree fella but I just feel like Hirst has already gone. It's all just formulaic now. In my head, the divorce is finalised - it's just easier that way. Hope I'm proved wrong, of course.

Hirst's weird situation with the spectre of his dad's missed opportunities hanging over etc etc, it was always going to be either proper Roy of the Rovers stuff, of really weird and messy and awkward. Clare, on the other hand...I honestly don't see how he'll improve his lot in the short term by not taking the golden FOOTBALLING opportunity he's worked so hard for all those years.

The game's in a right state.

Has promise but not desperate for him to stay at any cost. If he wants to go, thank him for the couple of games he contributed to and wish him well.

His new club can take over the cost of his rehabilitation from injury after the end of May. 

Well done Sheffield Wednesday in not being held to ransom by young players or any players, if they don't want to be here get them f**ked off....

I only want to hear and read about players who WANT to be here and play for that badge and feel "honoured and proud" by doing so..

Not jumped up young mercenaries, no ta :ph34r: 

Edited by steveger
  • Like 7

8 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Bang on.  I agree 100%

It’s a really difficult one IMO. I think all us ‘regular’ folk would agree that we shouldn’t have to pay big wages to young, largely unproven kids who’ve shown a bit of promise but unfortunately the fact is if you want to keep them you have to these days or someone else will. If the club are comfortable with that and I presume they are then fine, I support that but it just seems a shame we could be losing two very bright prospects. Let’s face it we haven’t produced many in a long time. Also agree with one of the posts above re spending big wages on older players who’s best years might be behind them or have fitness issues, that does kind of make me lean towards paying the money that these kids’ agents want. Fair to say Hirst has already gone though. 

Edited by Owlin' Wolf

Unfortunately, after the season we’ve had, we’re not an attractive option right now. Agents will be in both these players’ ears telling them they can get them a better deal elsewhere. It’s a shame, but we’ve got to drawn the line somewhere. Gutted about Hirst, less so Clare.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

He's better than any other youngsters we've brought through in that sort of position in the past 20 years.

That's not saying much, admittedly, but it's true nontheless. He's the best and brightest prospect we currently have for a home-grown midfielder.

I wanna see Penney get a shot next, regardless of how this plays out.

edit: Also, Clare's a fool to himself if he goes, I honestly believe that - not just sour grapes. Hirst I might reluctantly admit to seeing other, potentially better options for, given his somewhat unique circumstances; Clare I genuinely wouldn't.

But he's not "home grown" is he. I think we only signed him last season. Could be wrong but didn't we get him from the nike academy ?

FFS

We took a chance on him, aided his development, got him some good loan experience, promoted him to the first team and offered him  the reward of a new contract. 

Seems like the the lad has taken those opportunities well but what more can we do. 

It’s up to you pal

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, steveger said:

Well done Sheffield Wednesday in not being held to ransom by young players or any players, if they don't want to be here get them f**ked off....

I only want to hear and read about players who WANT to be here and play for that badge and feel "honoured and proud" by doing so..

Not jumped up young mercenaries, no ta :ph34r: 

Completely agree with the sentiment but how many players WANT to be here when they can get much more money elsewhere? And I’m not one of those people who says all players are mercenaries these days and none have any feeling towards the clubs they play for but the fact is you have to pay competitive money to get them or keep them here in the first place. 

Edited by Owlin' Wolf

Just now, cognacbarnowl said:

But he's not "home grown" is he. I think we only signed him last season. Could be wrong but didn't we get him from the nike academy ?

FFS

Yes we did