Was last night really that bad?!

Watched on a stream without commentary, so not swayed by anyone. 

Yes, the first 15 minutes were crazy- FF and Reach seemed to be playing for the opposition, the defence.looked like they'd just been introduced to each other, and Wildsmith had a stinker- but after that I thought we were decent.

Then today I hear the intro to FH and Rob Staton is saying what a shocking display it was. On here everyone seems up in arms and apparently we're back to where we were before the 3 wins.

So what was it? 15 minutes of madness, or a shocking all round performance?

• Thanks 1

It was 3-0 when I got in , what I saw after that we more than matched QPR , by no means was it a terrible display , some of the players who started will be no where near the starting 11 next year , maybe Jos was experimenting , maybe he was forced into the team selection who knows , but we will be stronger and better next season no doubt about it .

• Thanks 1

that 1st 20 mins was shocking, it was like watching a bunch of 9 year olds chasing  the ball. FF, joao, reach, dave   and Joey were just all over the pitch at the same time trying to close down the ball, no defensive structure or anything. You couldn't even work out what the formation was when we didn't have the ball.

The main thing that disappointed me was the lack of leadership during this period both from the players and the manager. Jos just stood their and not a single player looked like they where having a go at others and sorting things out. to say we've potentially 3-4 captain material players, not one of them acted like one. Lees included.

I watched on IFollow, a decent stream and in fairness after a horrendous first 15 minutes and a couple of clangers from Wildsmith we played ok and created some decent chances.

I thought our stand out players were Forestieri and Nuhiu.

No, it wasn't that bad in the grand scheme of things - but it was sloppy and frustrating and amateurish from a team who, collectively, have orders of magnitude more experience than they showed in that nightmarish first 15.

We were simply punished, as @Spencerowl says, for ALL the things we've been almost-but-not-quite getting away with all season - the only shock was we were punished for them by a bang average team, and in one crazy 15-minute spell.

Basically it was all our chickens coming home to roost at once. A very harsh reality check, if you will.

We should count ourselves lucky.

If each one of those stupid goals had been given away in a different fixture, we could've been anywhere from 4-12 points worse off right now than we currently are.

Edited by Mr. Tom

Just now, Mr. Tom said:

No, it wasn't that bad - but it was sloppy and frustrating and amateurish from a team who, collectively, have orders of magnitude more experience than they showed in that nightmarish first 15.

We were simply punished, as @Spencerowl says, for ALL the things we've been almost-but-not-quite getting away with all season - the only shock was we were punished for them by a bang average team, and in one crazy 15-minute spell.

Basically it was all our chickens coming home to roost at once.

We should count ourselves lucky. If each one of those stupid goals had been given away in a different fixture, we could've been 12 points worse off by now than we fortunately are.

it was crvp, if we would ave been playing a decent side we would av been 6 down at half time,stop clutching at straws we are crvp

Guest mkowl

It wasn't good that's for sure. The inability to make tackles, sloppy passing and picking up spare runners was woeful. Once they decided to hang back a bit we got back into the game but that is usually a natural occurrence

In recent games we have rode our luck or has opposition that were less clinical. Add on the mistakes by Wildsmith as well.

It is their demeanour and lack of fight that worries me

2 minutes ago, brando said:

it was crvp, if we would ave been playing a decent side we would av been 6 down at half time,stop clutching at straws we are crvp

That's pretty much what i was saying. It was crap. We're just lucky, in a way, that it was such highly concentrated crap served up in a relatively nothing fixture.

No straw-clutching going on here, it's been a horrendous season and a big slap in the face after the past couple of years.

I'm down to earth with a heck of a bump, don't get me wrong.

Edited by Mr. Tom

9 minutes ago, agentwalker said:

that 1st 20 mins was shocking, it was like watching a bunch of 9 year olds chasing  the ball. FF, joao, reach, dave   and Joey were just all over the pitch at the same time trying to close down the ball, no defensive structure or anything. You couldn't even work out what the formation was when we didn't have the ball.

The main thing that disappointed me was the lack of leadership during this period both from the players and the manager. Jos just stood their and not a single player looked like they where having a go at others and sorting things out. to say we've potentially 3-4 captain material players, not one of them acted like one. Lees included.

Pudil was absolutely beside himself* tbf, but yeah you're basically right.

*might've been part of the problem lol

Edited by Mr. Tom

31 minutes ago, RUMBELOWS91 said:

Watched on a stream without commentary, so not swayed by anyone. 

Yes, the first 15 minutes were crazy- FF and Reach seemed to be playing for the opposition, the defence.looked like they'd just been introduced to each other, and Wildsmith had a stinker- but after that I thought we were decent.

Then today I hear the intro to FH and Rob Staton is saying what a shocking display it was. On here everyone seems up in arms and apparently we're back to where we were before the 3 wins.

So what was it? 15 minutes of madness, or a shocking all round performance?

You have answered your own question. 

In answer to the OP

”no”

but don’t let that dilute the intravenous hysteria being pumped in by Panic Room dwellers, FH and folk who don’t seem to know that there are three results possible in football and (as even Man City and Barcelona know) one of them is defeat.

Said elsewhere -

(a) some of our players made game changing mistakes but a two goal defeat is not humiliation - at the very least it shows the team did not give up -they put 8 past us when I was a kid. 

(b) we are missing our first choice midfield and strike force, were they?

(c) we were up against Ollie - even he doesn’t know how his team is gonna play - how could poor old Jos?

Whatever happened to qualities such as the stiff upper lip, Yorkshire grit, British phlegm and Sheffield backbone? 4:2?  time for an ale not a wail. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TrickyTrev said:

I watched on IFollow, a decent stream and in fairness after a horrendous first 15 minutes and a couple of clangers from Wildsmith we played ok and created some decent chances.

I thought our stand out players were Forestieri and Nuhiu.

Agree with you about Atty

FF never at the races IMO.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rogerwyldesmullet said:

In answer to the OP

”no”

but don’t let that dilute the intravenous hysteria being pumped in by Panic Room dwellers, FH and folk who don’t seem to know that there are three results possible in football and (as even Man City and Barcelona know) one of them is defeat.

Said elsewhere -

(a) some of our players made game changing mistakes but a two goal defeat is not humiliation - at the very least it shows the team did not give up -they put 8 past us when I was a kid. 

(b) we are missing our first choice midfield and strike force, were they?

(c) we were up against Ollie - even he doesn’t know how his team is gonna play - how could poor old Jos?

Whatever happened to qualities such as the stiff upper lip, Yorkshire grit, British phlegm and Sheffield backbone? 4:2?  time for an ale not a wail. 

Logic, patience and composure are virtually outdated concepts. Sensation, hyperbole, grandstanding, accepted wisdom, prejudice and even downright fraud are the modern way in every aspect of society... even the bloody news.

The final score almost always determines how the game, the players and the coaches are perceived. Anyone who saw us lose 1-7 at Arsenal in 1992 would understand how tenuous some of those assumptions can be.