Four at the back - why oh why?

Against Bristol City we out of the blue switched to four at the back.

We were 3-0 down by half time and lost 4-0.

Against QPR tonight we out of the blue switched to four at the back.

We were 3-0 down by half time and conceded again to make it 4-0 (we then scored 2 consolations).

I am broadly supportive of JL and the hand that he was dealt but I am worried that he does not seem to learn from previous mistakes.

Like many others I always value DJM's posts.

I think the issue may though be that the defence of Westwood plus a great centre back pairing of Lees and Loovens gave us as you say a tremendous defensive record in those two seasons.

But Wildsmith had a shocker tonight and Loovens legs went fairly suddenly a year ago while Lees was out injured for a long while.

At Bristol it was clear to see that Pudil is lost in a flat back four while tonight Thornily was very poor at left back.

I think the 5-3-2 looks more solid and enables Nuhui and Joao to play centrally up front.

I am just hoping JL can learn from his mistakes.

Just now, BarnsleyOwl96 said:

Full backs of Palmer and thorniley is awful to be quite honest 

Totally agree...how palmer is still earning a living out of wednesday I will never know..as for thorniley..everybody bangs on about bringing in the youths..but he doesn't look great tbh

I would say he played a back 4 to accommodate Atdhe, Joao and Nando further up the pitch.

His normal back 5 would mean playing Nando as one of 3 in midfielders. 

I think everybody is so happy to have him back nobody has really considered where he will play in Jos' preferred system.

11 minutes ago, coopswfc76 said:

Although having said that apart from a car crash 10/15minutes in 1st half was they any netter than us?

Just 4-2 netter coops lol But apparently, seriously we played at least as well as them.

'dafuck??

4 defenders isn't the problem; its the quality, organisation, and management of these 4 defenders that's the issue. 

If we are at the stage where we need to play 5 defenders and 1-2 defensive midfielders to have a chance of getting anything out of a game; then its time for a change. 

I saw the team sheet which was presented as the usual 5-3-2 with Palmer and Reach as wing backs, so I thought that was the formation?

I do agree that four at the back has been terrible under Jos. If it was four again I hope he has learned after the Bristol game.

I would like to add that the forward line in this formation is a small nightmare, it is one of those where you look at it as a fan and think “how the fizz would that work?”. To paraphrase Carlos, too many fish and not enough potatoes... or summat.

6A22363E-BC8E-4869-8D79-02F3FC6F667F.jpeg

Edited by Owl Rly

7 hours ago, Lichfield alien said:

Totally agree...how palmer is still earning a living out of wednesday I will never know..as for thorniley..everybody bangs on about bringing in the youths..but he doesn't look great tbh

Didnt go last night and he was played out of position by the sound of it..................but based on the appearances i HAVE seen since the turn of the year then i too just dont get the high regard he is held in on here by most.

The lad is still young , but in all honesty he has looked average at best and should,  IMHO  be nowhere near the starting line up next year.

7 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

Loads though have banged on about playing a 4 3 3 of sorts so can't really now have a go at Jos for trying it.

Clearly it doesn't suit us at the minute and hopefully we stick to 5 at back moving forward.

I’ve been in favour of a 4-3-3 but at the moment we don’t really have a good enough left back. Until we do I think Jos was right to go with a 3-5-2.