Is something not right about Jos?

3 minutes ago, Sonny said:

That’s just how a league works though. We’re only not champions because everyone above was better. 

Fair point, but i'm sure you understand my point. It not really why we pay the highest ticket prices in the league is it?

55 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

I’d be up for that, but foreign managers have had plenty of success too. I’m just not sure we have seen anything to suggest our current one is our best option. Also, for the sake of balance I just think it’s unfair to dismiss the wins he’s got for us under difficult circumstances as some are.

I think we could benefit from getting someone the fans can relate to. Even a foreign manager in Carlos managed that.

I understand that some foreign managers do come to the championship and succeed and my initial comment reflects that opinion.

I agree totally...we have had a manger in charge of us now since the turn of the year and still we know nothing about him, his vision for club, he playing style, his personality (other than he just looks miserable all the time). There is no connection between Jos and the fans and to be honest from what i have seen there doesn't appear to be much connection between Jos and the players.

Jos as had his hands tied there is no question about that but on the same argument he as done nothing with the team selection of tactics to suggest that he can take us forward even with a fully fit squad. As a manager you have to play to your strengths and for the majority of the time Jos hasn't. He as often played with tactics and formations that have baffled us all (including the players) and there are certain players that IMO have gone backwards under him...Reach for example. Yes its been a long season for Reach but hes now playing out of position and he as suffered over the last 6 to 8 weeks i think. 

5 minutes ago, ramone said:

Fair point, but i'm sure you understand my point. It not really why we pay the highest ticket prices in the league is it?

None of the points we’ve gained have been through any kind of excessive luck. We’re above the teams that we are above because we’ve performed better than them across the entire season. I agree, everyone expected better but I believe we’re still suffering from gross mismanagement by Carlos and his team. We’re still suffering the consequences of that and Jos may/may not be the man but he’s a victim of this utter shït show too.

Just look at this thread, getting blamed for defensive performances when last nights rabble is the best we have to put out. There’s only Lees who you’d want any where near the back four in an ideal world.

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

None of the points we’ve gained have been through any kind of excessive luck. We’re above the teams that we are above because we’ve performed better than them across the entire season. I agree, everyone expected better but I believe we’re still suffering from gross mismanagement by Carlos and his team. We’re still suffering the consequences of that and Jos may/may not be the man but he’s a victim of this utter shït show too.

Just look at this thread, getting blamed for defensive performances when last nights rabble is the best we have to put out. There’s only Lees who you’d want any where near the back four in an ideal world.

Its where you earn your crust if you ask me. If you can only do a job with the very best tools available, you need to look at yourself.

Leicester won the Prem with Wes Morgan and Robert Huth as CB. I bet there's posters on here that would turn their noses up at both of them if we were to sign them in the summer. Wigan beat Man City. Rochdale got a draw with Spurs, as did Newport.

You can get a good tune out a crap flute if you have something about you. Jos doesn't and he's proved it. In my opinion of course... 

2 minutes ago, ramone said:

Its where you earn your crust if you ask me. If you can only do a job with the very best tools available, you need to look at yourself.

Leicester won the Prem with Wes Morgan and Robert Huth as CB. I bet there's posters on here that would turn their noses up at both of them if we were to sign them in the summer. Wigan beat Man City. Rochdale got a draw with Spurs, as did Newport.

You can get a good tune out a crap flute if you have something about you. Jos doesn't and he's proved it. In my opinion of course... 

Fair enough. Personally think that’s a load of rubbish but if you don’t want to give any leeway for the fact that nearly all our key players are/have been injured with the remainder clearly unfit then that’s up to you. Makes you wonder why anyone signs good and fit players. Just get some crap in and tell the manager to earn his corn.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sonny said:

Fair enough. Personally think that’s a load of rubbish but if you don’t want to give any leeway for the fact that nearly all our key players are/have been injured with the remainder clearly unfit then that’s up to you. Makes you wonder why anyone signs good and fit players. Just get some crap in and tell the manager to earn his corn.

Again, not really what the angle I was getting at mate. 

I'l re-phrase. With the players at is disposal so far, has Jos filled you with any confidence in his managerial ability so far with the results he's achieved and the way he's set the team up? Not forgetting that he's had professional footballers available to him. The majority of them having a wealth of experience at this level? 

Lots of knee jerk nonsense as expected.

He has a record of getting teams up - on that basis deserves a pre season to get in who he wants and a season with a fit squad as a startpoint. 

As ever some of the expectations are ridiculous.  Who would we get instead?  People bang on about Smith etc - lower league managers who have had one good season aren’t the answer - we would need a big name but they are scarce. 

Lets get this turd of a season done, show some patience and give JL support. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ramone said:

Again, not really what the angle I was getting at mate. 

I'l re-phrase. With the players at is disposal so far, has Jos filled you with any confidence in his managerial ability so far with the results he's achieved and the way he's set the team up? Not forgetting that he's had professional footballers available to him. The majority of them having a wealth of experience at this level? 

I think the players he’s had available are mostly a varying combination of unfit, completely inexperienced, old, and rubbish. My expectations are adjusted accordingly, yours have remained the same (and that’s up to you). So if you’re asking me whether the job he’s done with the players available (ie mostly unfit, completely inexperienced, old and rubbish) then I’d say he’s done alright. Doesn’t mean I think he’s the right man. Im just not neglecting to take into account some pretty massive reasons.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sonny said:

I think the players he’s had available are mostly a varying combination of unfit, completely inexperienced, old, and rubbish. My expectations are adjusted accordingly, yours have remained the same (and that’s up to you). So if you’re asking me whether the job he’s done with the players available (ie mostly unfit, completely inexperienced, old and rubbish) then I’d say he’s done alright. Doesn’t mean I think he’s the right man. Im just not neglecting to take into account some pretty massive reasons.

My expectations are comparable to the resources available. I dont think he's done anywhere near enough. Fair enough if you think he has. Thats the beauty of football

1 minute ago, ramone said:

My expectations are comparable to the resources available. I dont think he's done anywhere near enough. Fair enough if you think he has. Thats the beauty of football

We’ve done rubbish with rubbish resources, that’s all I think.

Not really sure how to feel about him, I want to see what he can do next season with a fitter squad and his own signings. But results like last night have me thinking. To concede 3 in the first 15 is a disgrace, and against an average side in the division 

Guest Hillsborough Mole
1 hour ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Lots of knee jerk nonsense as expected.

He has a record of getting teams up - on that basis deserves a pre season to get in who he wants and a season with a fit squad as a startpoint. 

As ever some of the expectations are ridiculous.  Who would we get instead?  People bang on about Smith etc - lower league managers who have had one good season aren’t the answer - we would need a big name but they are scarce. 

Lets get this turd of a season done, show some patience and give JL support. 

Tolerate sh it, get sh it

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
13 hours ago, ramone said:

Garbage at the back

Garbage attacking intent

Jos out

Inherited a garbage situation from his predecessor. Making us safe this season now whilst making plans for next. Jos in.

52 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Inherited a garbage situation from his predecessor. Making us safe this season now whilst making plans for next. Jos in.

I really wish I could see the light with this situation, I really do. I like Jos as a man. I like the way he talks but his approach to the game of football just baffles me and I cant see it getting better.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. You need to send me over a glass of you optimism. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
30 minutes ago, ramone said:

I really wish I could see the light with this situation, I really do. I like Jos as a man. I like the way he talks but his approach to the game of football just baffles me and I cant see it getting better.

I'd be delighted to be proved wrong. You need to send me over a glass of you optimism. 

The light is surely that your fears of relegation a month ago are now pretty much dispelled. We're not mathematically safe but it would need  bizarre twists of 1990 proportions to drag us down now IMO. We were in a horrendous downward spiral. Our injury situation is critical still with the bulk of our very best players still out (and now even the back ups are falling). The recruitment pre-Jos was flawed at the very best and that's putting it mildly.

I think that experimentation has been forced on Jos which might well have long term benefits if short term pain. His selections are open to subjective opinions. Last night, as in the Millwall game, from what I've heard only; it was individual defensive errors and especially keeper errors that were the difference ultimately between a couple of points and zero. 

I think that what we've seen under both Carlos and Jos is that the fringe players are, in general, not fit for what we want notwithstanding their previous reputations. My gut feeling from what's happened under Jos so far, and from his soundbites, is that he's very much got an eye on the future whilst juggling with securing the points which will make us safe. There is a need for fundamental changes and without ranting like some might he's indicated that the summer will be one of change. I think that this is exactly the approach that we need.

In terms of optimism I'd spin that and say that I would be more pessimistic if we were to go back to the drawing board.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Personally think this whole period has again highlighted our poor recruitment strategy in the last two pre-seasons, as well as the fact we are desperately missing our core -- Lee, Hutch, Bannan, Hooper, Westwood, i'd even include Wallace in that.

Can talk about tactics till we're blue in the face, but if the players perform like that in the first 15 minutes then tactics get thrown out of the window. 

Fact is he took over an unfit, patched up, and mentally weak squad. And with this we're going to be inconsistent at best. We've seen him get the best out of players who hadn't had chance to play much before he arrived, and he's seemingly started to sort stuff out behind the scenes. He's clearly been chucked into the deep end with this job. I'm neither for or against him staying on longer....but i can't blame him for the current debacle, and i think it's disingenuous to simply point the finger at him and suggest he hasn't got a clue, because let's be reyt he's inherited a right pile of sh*t. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lichfield alien said:

Maybe Jos can't wait to go back home..wherever that is...I bet he's holed up in an hotel away from friends and family leading a very lonely existence

Maybe he should visit the sauna like a recent ex manager did (according to some on here), they can be friendly places (allegedly) :biggrin:

Edited by steveger
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

We were in a horrendous downward spiral. Our injury situation is critical still with the bulk of our very best players still out (and now even the back ups are falling). The recruitment pre-Jos was flawed at the very best and that's putting it mildly.

I think that experimentation has been forced on Jos which might well have long term benefits if short term pain. His selections are open to subjective opinions. Last night, as in the Millwall game, from what I've heard only; it was individual defensive errors and especially keeper errors that were the difference ultimately between a couple of points and zero. 

I think that what we've seen under both Carlos and Jos is that the fringe players are, in general, not fit for what we want notwithstanding their previous reputations. My gut feeling from what's happened under Jos so far, and from his soundbites, is that he's very much got an eye on the future whilst juggling with securing the points which will make us safe. There is a need for some fundamental changes and without ranting like some might he's indicated that the summer will be one of change. I think that this is exactly the approach that we need.

In terms of optimism I'd spin that and say that I would be more pessimistic if we were to go back to the drawing board.

I see the word experimentation banded about a lot today. All he did last night was break up a front 2 pairing of Nuhiu and Joao that had been working to shoe horn Forestieri into the side wide left. Playing a back 4 is hardly experimenting, we've been playing a back 4 in the previous 32 years of me watching Wednesday, I should hope we'd be used to it by now... 

You're right when you say about individual errors. He cant compensate for that. What he can do though is realise that Wildsmith has made a host of errors in the 4 months he;s been in the sticks and take him out. Thats what a smart manager would do. So I think its fair to say that you apportion blame on the manager there. 

I agree with change is needed. Big changes are needed to shake it up a bit. I'm not sure I trust Jos to do it. Especially given the fact his only introduction to the side is Joey and he's been, well, underwhelming to say the least.