Is something not right about Jos?

32 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

3 wins in 17 league games is hardly guiding us clear of danger...I think it’s more to do with the fact that the bottom 3/4 have been very very poor and never looked like picking points up.

Based on current form and our current points tally we would be in a mess if it was a normal season/scenario. Thankfully we have got away with one.

That probably applies to everyone up to qpr. We were in complete free fall for a time but three wins on the bounce have effectively stopped what could’ve become very serious. Had he not done this then yes, it would be ridiculous but that was my fear when we appointed an untried manager at the midway point. 

14 minutes ago, Bluesteel said:

That probably applies to everyone up to qpr. We were in complete free fall for a time but three wins on the bounce have effectively stopped what could’ve become very serious. Had he not done this then yes, it would be ridiculous but that was my fear when we appointed an untried manager at the midway point. 

You look at the teams in the top 10 and all of them have English manager with the exception of Fulham and wolves...and let’s face it, with the money spent by wolves I think every manager in this league would have a similar effect. Yes the Fulham scenario is probably down to good management but the the other 8 teams all have English managers.

I personally think the foreign manager appointment is a myth!! We need a proven manager who know how to get out of this league. 

6 hours ago, WayneTheOwl said:

So a fan can't have an opinion on the teams manager and if they do, and want him out they are idiots ? Really? 

I could just say anyone wanting him to stay is an idiot and devoid of any ambition ...... but I won't as every fan has a right to opinion .

Everyone is entitled to an opinion. The problem with football fans is they want and demand immediate success and significant improvements.

It is unreasonable and just plain stupid to judge him on this season. 

He inherited a demotivated, mismanaged and severely injured hit group of over paid ageing players that have been in a comfort zone for way too long.

Even the best manager in the world would need time to sort out this shambles. 

Lets at least have the common sense to give the guy a pre season to prepare the squad and if he doesn’t perform next season then he’ll have had a shot at it.

Calls for him to go at the end of the season are really just short term misguided classic football fan thinking IMO. 

Edited by RichSheffWeds
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

You look at the teams in the top 10 and all of them have English manager with the exception of Fulham and wolves...and let’s face it, with the money spent by wolves I think every manager in this league would have a similar effect. Yes the Fulham scenario is probably down to good management but the the other 8 teams all have English managers.

I personally think the foreign manager appointment is a myth!! We need a proven manager who know how to get out of this league. 

2 of the 3 who went up last season were managed by foreigners , the 3 that reached the play offs and failed were managed by foreigners and the top 2 this season have foreign managers .......a good manager is a good manager where he comes from is irrelevant .

4 minutes ago, torryowl said:

2 of the 3 who went up last season were managed by foreigners , the 3 that reached the play offs and failed were managed by foreigners and the top 2 this season have foreign managers .......a good manager is a good manager where he comes from is irrelevant .

You look at the most successful managers in this league and the majority are English/British i.e. Bruce, Warnock, hughton, Duche and Pardew etc...

I am not disputing that foreign managers haven’t been successful because they have but more often than not they are a gamble and often a gamble that fails. I think the reasons behind it failing is time that is given but also at this level, the lack of funds most clubs provide. 

14 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

You look at the most successful managers in this league and the majority are English/British i.e. Bruce, Warnock, hughton, Duche and Pardew etc...

I am not disputing that foreign managers haven’t been successful because they have but more often than not they are a gamble and often a gamble that fails. I think the reasons behind it failing is time that is given but also at this level, the lack of funds most clubs provide. 

You have to go down to 7th in the Prem to see a British Manager and the top 2 in the Champ are foreign, apart from that you are right lol

4 minutes ago, Owling Wolfe said:

You have to go down to 7th in the Prem to see a British Manager and the top 2 in the Champ are foreign, apart from that you are right lol

Were not talking PL were talking championship. I am not taking anything away from Nuno at wolves because you still have to do a job but I would have backed most managers in this division to be in a similar position given the funds and players that he’s got...their attacking talent is frightening. 

The fulham scenario is down to good management and hats off to them, they have some very good players and they haven’t broke the bank in the process.

1 hour ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I’d be up for that, but foreign managers have had plenty of success too. I’m just not sure we have seen anything to suggest our current one is our best option. Also, for the sake of balance I just think it’s unfair to dismiss the wins he’s got for us under difficult circumstances as some are.

I think we could benefit from getting someone the fans can relate to. Even a foreign manager in Carlos managed that.

Edited by Bluesteel

1 hour ago, Woodie said:

We kept clean sheet records 2 seasons on the bounce with Palmer, Hunt, Lees, Pudil and Loovens. I don’t know how, but we did.

We did and both wer fantastic achievements but Loovens was quality and brought the best out of Lee. Pudil was younger and playing in his actual position instead of us having an practically untested youngster there. We also had Westwood in the form of his career.

Compare that to last night. It’s dreadful really. We need two new fullbacks and (unless VA can step up) a new centre back or two. Jos may have a reputation for being defensively solid but you need the right tools and not last nights rabble.

7 hours ago, coopswfc76 said:

@ramone moan moan flipping moan 10goals in last 5 games no attacking intent WTF do you want, Played Fessi, Joao and Adthe tonight.

Would Ossie Ardiles be attacking enough for you?

Happy with 4 wins since he's joined are you?

Happy being 3-0 within 15 minutes against a poor QPR team are you?

I'm certainly not. Get him gone. Get Mick in. Job done

Edited by ramone

3 hours ago, kingsidney said:

You’d  be blubbing like a little girl if someone had said that about Carlos. 

Speaking the truth.

The truth is, Carlos took us to 6th and 4th in the division. Jos wont get us anywhere near that.

Big Mick needs to come in and rescue us. 

10 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I mean.. We are 17th, still not mathematically safe with 4 games to spare and our form under his tenure has still been a horror show. 

I think you're giving him a great deal of credit by suggesting he's "guided us away" from anything. Id say its more that we've fell over the line thanks to Nuhiu suddenly turning into a footballer and a brief Bannan cameo. 

We're only safe because we're lucky there's a few teams worse than us. 

10 hours ago, M Royds said:

Word before was that Jos likes his defences tight. Would keep things tight at the back. 

The eveidence points to the complete opposite. We are leaking goals easily and can get overwhelmed, even with injuries slowly clearing up. 

I know building a team is a long process but a manger, whose reputation is on solid defending and keeping the opposition in check, it doesn’t seem to be turning out that way. 

Is Jos able to cut the mustard in the cut and thrust of English football?

Certainly worthy of debate; I haven't made my mind up yet as we're only 2 points from mathematical safety. we were in free-fall before he arrived and he's settled things down with less than the best squad. However, I'm now asking myself whether we need new tactics or new defenders.Maybe it's a knee-jerk reaction. Dunno.