#QPR 4 - 2 #SWFC - OMDT

Think satdi  was Butterfields best ever day in a Wednesday shirt A good solid 6/10 but he wasn't Bannan; Not that I think it made a great deal of difference, though Joao had his back heeler disallowed unfairly in my view, and it just may have upset their applecart.

A little worried that Fessi and Matti being considered or hinted at for more substantial roles tonight. Still decent record at Loftus Rd other than  a terrible result Nov 6th 73 when we were in the game trailing 3-2 at half time but then conceded 5 unanswered goals to go down 8-2.

Still it is Spring amd hope Springs eternal so I'm going for a somewhat flukey 4-2 tonight ! 

• Like 1

Great OMDT Snoots. Worry about our midfield a bit tonight but am hoping Jos experiments with a 343 with Pessy Jones CM flanked by Hunt and Reach. 

FF Nuhiu Joao up top in a 3.

Saying that we'll probably go 5 3 2.

Refs don't seem to give us a lot at Loftus Road so could be 1 nil to the referee. 

UTMO! 

Not someone who dishes Reach on here as I am a fan of his. but them stats where he is top of them all may have someone to do with the fact he has played twice as many games as anybody else in the team with half his talent.

Interestingly how many was he top of last season.

That's the thing with stats they don't always tell the whole truth. say a team is on a run of 3 wins out of 4. now you instantly know that the real stat is 3 wins out of 5, otherwise the stat would read 4 wins out of 5. Because if the game before the 4 games they are talking about had of been a win it would have done.

Like I said not knocking Reach as he has easily been our most consistent player, but for me just not at the level yet I believe he is capable of and I think that's what frustrates the people who do knock him as we know he has in his locker to score goals like he did against Villa more often then he does.

Great OMDT @Lord Snooty. It raises some very pertinent issues.

1. If only you could have the rational summary of the last match ready to post on the full time whistle it may save on laundry.....from the bedwetters I mean. 

2. If it wasn't Reach it would be someone else, it's partly a football fan trait, parly a generational thing but I can't help think we're particulalry adept at it. If only there was a league table for that!!

3. Please tell me that Bannan conversation did not really happen, tell me that it's just you doing a Smeagol? In fact, if it did really happen don't confirm it, protect me from the insanity.

4, Where did you get that photo of me in my bedroom and how do you know my earning!!!!!

That is all. 

Edited by Morepork
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

An excellent OMDT Sir Snoots ...* a knighthood can't be far off after such a lengthy period of high quality service to the 'Owl' nation..* ... made even better by the inclusion of 'monk on' when detailing the GH saga. Spiffingly spaffing...

UTO...let's hope for 3 points tonight. That will enable us to relax and experiment for the few remaining games so we can begin the planning for next season.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Freshfish said:

An excellent OMDT Sir Snoots ...* a knighthood can't be far off after such a lengthy period of high quality service to the 'Owl' nation..* ... made even better by the inclusion of 'monk on' when detailing the GH saga. Spiffingly spaffing...

UTO...let's hope for 3 points tonight. That will enable us to relax and experiment for the few remaining games so we can begin the planning for next season.

Arise Sir Snooty!!! 

475cd4a8507da80f99825e7b782d5b3e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

QPR - V - Wednesday

Well the run came to and end with a 1-0 defeat to Fulham. 

It wasn't unexpected was it? Not really. Not if we're honest with ourselves. 

I think we all knew that it would be the toughest of the games we've had since Christmas and so it proved. 

They were undefeated since 2017. A run of nearly four months. Had a full squad of quality players to pick from and have been getting tipped to go up for the last 3 years. 15 minutes to go and I was thinking "You know, a point against these, we'd have taken that before the game"

This was a side that had bagged 44 goals in it's previous 18 games when it looked like we might nick a clean sheet I thought that would have been something.

Image result for mitrovic

Mitrovic - A beast in this division 

Of course no one likes a defeat . But a 1-0 loss. Against a side that has recently dispatched our noisy neighbours 3-0. Hit Burton for 6. Smashed Cardiff 4-2 and even beaten table topping Wolves who look like certain champions.  It isn't that bad in the bigger scheme of things. At one time I'd have been going into this fixture absolutely fearing the worst. 

Yet. There's been a little bit of mumping. Odd for my money. Fulham are a terrific side. Have in Sessegnon , Ojo, Cairney and Mitrovic some of the best players in the division, a manager who's a fantastic reputation  and one who has been allowed time to build a side.  A side which in all honesty you'd have to part with the best part of £100m to get. Blimey. The way the games going you'd probably have to part with half of that for just two of them.  An excellent side, on an excellent run. In a system they are accustomed to, and to which signings have been added to fit the pattern against us. Playing 5 at the back to try and ensure our status in the division. Players still missing. One going off injured. 

Reach seems to have took a bit of the brunt. And it's true the midfield man didn't have his best of games. He has looked tired the last few games.

And considering how unfit the squad is by general consent it's now wonder really. The lad had played a part in 48 games this season in all competitions.

Even he, with his three lungs is going to start feeling the pinch.  

"It's not just that though. He's crap generally. Can't tackle, can't pass, can't do owt"

Which is why these stats are quite interesting. 

No automatic alt text available.

Now before folks start.... Ok. So 30 might not seem many tackles. And it probably could have been double.

Should have been double. 

But the fact is he's in there and getting involved. 

Reminds me of Mark Bright. "Misses chance after chance." Yet still scored 20 goals a season on a regular basis.

Ehh dear. Where am I going with this. Who knows. 

We weren't helped when Bannan had to go off IMO. He made some mistakes. But I still think he remains one of our best chances of creating forward momentum. 

"I teld thi Snoots, dint a, dint a tell thi, contract conspiracy. Bannans back and now he's out ageean. But I'll tell thi this. There's nowt up wi him. Now          we're safe he's been   dropped to save money ont contract.   Nowt so sure.  That's why he went off."

"Well he's been out a long time and come straight back into the team. It is possible he's tweaked something. It happens doesn't it"

"We're 16th, looking safe, that's why he were off. We waint see him ageean this season. It makes me sick. Clubs sick from top to bottom. Stick wi me,         tha might learn sumat."

24 hrs later...

Image may contain: text

"I see Bannan is ok. Just a bit of fatigue it seems after being involved in three games after being out so long. Looks like he'll be including in                          preparations for Hull on  Saturday"

"Well they've had to ant they.."

"What do you mean?"

"Wey, they know we're onto em ,like. So they're tryna cover their backsides aren't they, bit late int day coz I know what they're up to"

Anyway....yes we could have had more of a go at it against Fulham.  But wouldn't that have risked leaving ourselves more open? if we had and got picked off by their pace (which was a very real possibility) Would we really be any better off? It sounds daft. But a 1-0 loss might help at the end of the year. (I know, I know, worse spin than Alistair Campbell) 

I know that some went into the game with an attitude of "Nothing to lose. Now let me be entertained".  Which is always nice. But really, it was never going to be a case of gung-ho was it? Not when the relegation trapdoor is still below is. It's almost shut admittedly. But there is still a gap. Still a crack of black into the darkness. So lets not go mad. 

Sometimes, you just have to say a better squad won don't you?

So today we take on a side where I think we really can be a bit more expressive. Holloways QPR.

Image may contain: stadium

TUE 10 APR 2018

CHAMPIONSHIP
19:45
Venue: Loftus Road Stadium

Odds Check

Home    Draw    Away 

1/1       5/2        13/5

And what an unpredictable side they are. 

Hammered by five goals against a poor a Forest side as I've seen in years. Struggle to edge past Barnsley. But then do Villa and Norwich by big scores. Before taking another hammering by Hull.  They are consistently inconsistent. 

QPR boss Ian Holloway (who was top of the Owlstalk fan polls for new manager when Wednesday let Dave Jones go) recently described his side as 'having a glass chin' and this has to be a game where Wednesday must be looking to deliver a knockout blow. They sit just above us in the table .

The form table also suggests two pretty evenly matched sides. Both taking ten points from the last six outings. 

Holloways ditched his 3-5-2 some months ago. It was said at the time to rid his side of their glass chin. However their results have still been hit and miss since he changed the formation.

They have gone back to a more solid 4-2-3-1

Skipper  Nedum Onuoha misses out after getting sent off against Hull and could be replaced by the versatile Grant Hall

Match facts

• Since losing 2-1 on their opening game of the 2013-14 season, Sheffield Wednesday are unbeaten in six league matches against the Hoops (W3 D3).

A positive sign. I've always liked Loftus Road. It's one of them compact little grounds isn't it. 

• Ian Holloway has won none of his 13 Championship matches against Sheffield Wednesday (D5 L8), failing to win with six different clubs (QPR, Plymouth, Leicester, Blackpool, Crystal Palace and Millwall).

He really does love us does't he. He can't bear to see us lose!

• Sheffield Wednesday have won their past two away league games - as many as they had in their previous 16 combined.

My God what a stat We have struggled on the road this season. How much of that is to do with a lack of pace. I mean, you do tend to play on the counter away from home don't you. and Pace is useful when you are going to try and do that!  Joao certainly has to start doesn't he?. 

• Matt Smith has either scored (3) or assisted (6) nine of QPR's last 16 Championship goals (56%).

Isn't he the chump that came on for L**ds and got sent off after 4 seconds?

• Similarly, Atdhe Nuhiu has been directly involved in six of Sheffield Wednesday's past nine league goals (5 goals, 1 assist).

Image result for nuhiu

I don't know how we're going to line up. Probably 3-5-2. Though some people are getting frustrated with it. 

Mind if a 4-1 win over Preston, a 3-1 win of Sunderland and a 1-0 defeat to one of the best sides in the division is frustrating...then give me more frustration!

In other news.  It seems George Hirst is off to Old Trafford to earn his fortune. 

To be honest, I've long held the belief that to a young lad a few grand a week here should be more than enough. 

But then I was told this afternoon that some spotty teenagers are becoming millionaires by letting people watch videos of them playing computer games. 

If that's the case no wonder the lad has got the monk on!!  Hours on the training ground (Not ours,admittedly!) . Hours in the gym. 

And yet some kid who has never spoken to a girl can top trump him in Gentings and act Bertie Big Balls flashing the cash.

Absolute scenes. No wonder he wants off.. 

Image may contain: 2 people, text

It's a crazy world we live in.

Anyway... 

Hopefully a good game and a good result for the mighty Owls.

COME ON WEDNESDAY 

I reckon it was unexpected.

I reckon most expected a worse result...

• Thanks 1

Nowt wrong with Mario Kart m’Lord.

Brilliant work. 

Love to see Reach back out wide tonight.

I expect a few changes to rest a few. Quite right too. Nothing to play for. 

Entertaining score draw.

They'll be a reaction from them, after the trouncing they received from Hull. Score draw with them leading and us coming back to salvage something.

I'd like Dawson to get some game time, to see how he does in league games (in case Westwood does move on).

Cmon Wednesday.