Supporting grassroots football - Ecclesall Rangers under threat

2 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I have and that was in the early 80s

My visits have been since early 90’s the best I’ve seen is in Holland, all supported and paid for by the local community with a small extra payment on the council tax.

The whole footballing setup is very different, you get real community involvement and ownership that locals take pride in.

15 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Those pitches at Do re were good, is it the old bank sports club.

HSBC pitches are pretty good from what i hear, but our current place - over the road at Limb Lane, is appalling in the winter. We have only played once this year and that was a farce!!! It's embarrassing having to switch every home game. The Mercia/Bannerdale/Abbeydale Grange site was promised to us as part of the whole new school planning process. The FA only supported the construction on the basis that we were given access to the site once the work had been completed (The school opens in Sept)

11 hours ago, Lichfield alien said:

Hopefully after brexit we won't need to be building new schools every year...and depriving football clubs of their pitches

I voted to leave so am not having a dig but like so many things people find a way to blame on the EU, councils and government already have it well within their power to do something about it.

The council is to blame here, blaming it on some poor Romanian immigrant gives them a get out.

It goes on all over the country but is disgusting how councils love to spend money on vanity projects whilst refusing to fund less glamorous but really important projects and services.

They were a top junior club when I was involved with Porter over 20 years ago, the council tolerated kids football, but they never supported it, we survived in spite of them. We have two wealthy professional club chairmen (three if you count Prince Long Pockets), the two oldest amateur clubs in the world and a plethora of very successful local companies that could support local football and use it as a claim against tax, has anyone bothered to start at the top and work their way down the list, if you don’t ask you don’t get?

My suggestion would be to get a few Owls and Blades legends on the job, they can get through to the top guys, particularly if they support either of the Sheffield clubs,

Edited by optimisticowl

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

I'm confused

Yet another online petition (I've signed it) but who is it to and what amount of money is needed to suceed? 

There's not a great deal of detail on this one?

Its not that clear, is it?

I think the letter on there has been written a little directed towards the people who know the situation (the people the petition is sent to) rather than the general public.

You can see who the petition will be sent to at the top of the petition page (people at the council, etc).

As I understand it (someone with a better knowledge than me can correct any of this), the council and privatised school (Academy) owners have reneged on a series of promises of relocating the club and providing funding that were made to the club and The FA as part of the consultation and plans to build the school itself (which took over the fields they had been at for years).

Part of the promises were relocating the club during the building on the site, which the council failed to do in time for the club’s to train and then when pushed by the club and The FA they then threw them in places that were too small, already occupied, vandalised and unsuitable. I understand Eccy Rangers have only been able to play once this year so far.

The club were promised during consultation/planning that they could return to the school site but now that appears to be up in the air.

I believe there’s also a situation where some FA money is (or should be) in an escrow account, but can’t be accessed/released because the conditions promised haven’t been met by the council and the Academy owners.

Its a bit like the council forcing Wednesday out of Hillsborough and promising us Hillsborough Park instead, then only giving us the Wednesdayite car park and telling us we should be happy with that.

1 minute ago, @owlstalk said:

The council are totally skint though so not sure what this online petition could do?

Surely they'll just look at it and then say there's more pressing things they need to spend money on?

How much is needed?

I could be wrong, but I’m not sure it initially is a case of “how much is needed,” but rather giving the club what was promised in the consultation and planning to build the academy (I believe some money should have been ringfenced but can’t be released because of what is going on).

...wider funding of grassroots football (and support from the council) is, of course, an issue too.

I agree it could all be a bit clearer for the public to understand on the petition though!

surely there is some spare unused land that could be donated on lease to the club around  the Sheffield area , these grass roots kids could be on the way to being involved with both Sheffield clubs  somewhere down the line .so it must be in the interests of all involved in the game to see these youngsters prosper , or is it better to pay funds to hire a company to chop down trees in the city

I have signed, but now live out of Sheffield so had to put Mother-in-laws post-code.

I used to run a footy team in Sheffield and getting the council to help with anything was a nightmare.

We ended up funding a new pavillion for the football, cricket and running clubs but the pitch was dire and the council would not sort it out. Footy club ended up moving out.

Village football is so much better supported in villages outside of Sheffield. There is a more of a community spirit and less red-tape. just not enough kids to play sometimes.

essentially, we moved to Limb Lane in the summer, and spent a fortune marking the pitches, adding permanent goals, sorting changing rooms and the carpark, tarmacking the access road.

image.thumb.png.5216cb36211c5a6138861039024e2cb8.png

Two issues -

it's a farmer's field, and plays that way after any rain. No exaggeration to say only one game played on it by our age groups (three teams) in 2018

Professional dogwalkers that let their dozen or so 'clients' craap everywhere. Council really aren't interested.

image.png

Edited by General_Grievous

7 hours ago, londonowl said:

I voted to leave so am not having a dig but like so many things people find a way to blame on the EU, councils and government already have it well within their power to do something about it.

The council is to blame here, blaming it on some poor Romanian immigrant gives them a get out.

It goes on all over the country but is disgusting how councils love to spend money on vanity projects whilst refusing to fund less glamorous but really important projects and services.

Starts at the top some of the councils top earners wages are scandalous, along with a number of other public sector top brass.