Lee - Halo Effect?

27 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The OP makes some good points. Now Lee is a good footballer but nowhere near as good as some think he is. He isn't box to box, he doesn't spray the box across the pitch, he isn't commanding in the air, doesn't have that change of pace and makes poor decisions with the goal at his mercy. He has played many a good game for Wednesday but equally has had some stinkers that see him hiding in games.

Perhaps I don’t understand your definition of box to box but I can’t imagine anybody getting around the pitch more.

Prior to his injury he regularly topped the stats in the championship for ground covered and interceptions and was close on tackles. He is a fantastic reader of the game, when covering for others who have gone forward 

Add to that his finishing in front of goal which is very calm and accurate. He doesn’t like to shoot with his left foot, I wouldn’t call that bad decision making, he has scored some fantastic and important goals for us.

His passing is simple, I don’t mind if he doesn’t ping it 40 yds and give it away.

His weakness is that he has not got the personality to take the game by the scruff of the neck , he tends to react to others doing it.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

The OP makes some good points. Now Lee is a good footballer but nowhere near as good as some think he is. He isn't box to box, he doesn't spray the box across the pitch, he isn't commanding in the air, doesn't have that change of pace and makes poor decisions with the goal at his mercy. He has played many a good game for Wednesday but equally has had some stinkers that see him hiding in games.

You've had a good run of posts up to now... this is why we negs back.

WTF!?

2 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

You've had a good run of posts up to now... this is why we negs back.

WTF!?

He’s spot on in my opinion,lee is a neat n tidy player but not messi and certainly wouldn’t have took the game by the scruff of the neck playing with butterfield,Jones and pelupessy in midfield! 

12 hours ago, EBRAwe'rebarmy said:

When Kieran Lee was playing, he never attracted the type of posts criticising his performance that we see for our other midfielders, especially Adam Reach.  Even now, we still see lots of posts lamenting his absence.  It seems the longer he’s out, the better he was.  All this, despite the fact that he isn’t from Oldham; he’s a bit lightweight; his touch isn’t that golden; he gets caught in possession too often; he can’t do anything; and he gives the ball away a lot with poor passes.

What is it?  Is it because he run around lot?

Hate to cast aspersions (and also to break the cardinal rule of attacking the post not the poster) but did you post this because your lad broke his leg at Burton?

This is such a wicked fish that it has the distinct aroma of pork about it...

• Thanks 1

I have never heard such rubbish in my life. Kieran Lee has more of a football brain than any other player at the club. The only player anywhere near him is Gary Hooper. To suggest he has no change of pace must mean a Specsaves visit.

His positional lay, use of the ball, goal assists etc are second to none. I would say he is one of the top 3 players in the championship. I only hope that his hip problem can be sorted & he will return 100% next season. If not then serious questions have to be asked about his too early return to the team. Does this not itself tell these idiots that do not appreciate him how valuable his contribution to the team is.

Towards the end of last season we were limping along wondering if we would make the play offs. We then saw a few injuries to certain players forcing Carvalhals hand into playing what he had left. Remarkably this saw an upturn in results seeing us breeze into the play offs without the likes of Lee. Come the play offs and Lee was back in the side which crashed out admittedly not just down to Lee. I have been critical of Lee and Bannan on here with regards to them being able to get a Championship team promoted but going into the derby I thought now is your chance to make me eat my words and show us what you can do. Where was Lee in that game?

Guest Kagoshimaowl
13 hours ago, EBRAwe'rebarmy said:

When Kieran Lee was playing, he never attracted the type of posts criticising his performance that we see for our other midfielders, especially Adam Reach.  Even now, we still see lots of posts lamenting his absence.  It seems the longer he’s out, the better he was.  All this, despite the fact that he isn’t from Oldham; he’s a bit lightweight; his touch isn’t that golden; he gets caught in possession too often; he can’t do anything; and he gives the ball away a lot with poor passes.

Bring the negs button back PLEASE!!! Next thing will be the OP thinks we should sign Buttercup to a 3 year contract!

9 hours ago, brian joicey said:

He’s spot on in my opinion,lee is a neat n tidy player but not messi and certainly wouldn’t have took the game by the scruff of the neck playing with butterfield,Jones and pelupessy in midfield! 

Who mentioned Messi?

Why should Lee be blamed for the midfield we've got? He hasn't signed em.

Btw ... your chum has been knocking KL for a long time...wether he's playing well or not.

WTF!?

22 hours ago, EBRAwe'rebarmy said:

1bae09fb2ecdd32e63311526238fb66456ffd699a857396004d37ccf0098303a.jpg.90b82b1b8d89ee60ab657a801b58fc1e.jpg

31 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Who mentioned Messi?

Why should Lee be blamed for the midfield we've got? He hasn't signed em.

Btw ... your chum has been knocking KL for a long time...wether he's playing well or not.

WTF!?

Jealousy mate.. he has pure jealousy...

It's because KL is in possession of that halo every one wants 

That  "Hubcapped diamond star"variety 

Get it on Brian 

Bang a gong 

Get it on 

WTF !!!!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Ronnie Starling said:

Towards the end of last season we were limping along wondering if we would make the play offs. We then saw a few injuries to certain players forcing Carvalhals hand into playing what he had left. Remarkably this saw an upturn in results seeing us breeze into the play offs without the likes of Lee. Come the play offs and Lee was back in the side which crashed out admittedly not just down to Lee. I have been critical of Lee and Bannan on here with regards to them being able to get a Championship team promoted but going into the derby I thought now is your chance to make me eat my words and show us what you can do. Where was Lee in that game?

I have also been critical of Lee and Bannan getting us promoted as a two man central midfield. That was the fault of our previous manager and his bizarre system.

Your memory is tricking you.

Lee coming back was key to us getting into the playoffs.

Infact he scored the winning goal at Ipswich which clinched the playoff spot.

He obviously wasn’t fit but Carlos still played him in the playoffs, a stupid decision which cost us dearly but appears to have cost Lee even more.

10 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I have also been critical of Lee and Bannan getting us promoted as a two man central midfield. That was the fault of our previous manager and his bizarre system.

Your memory is tricking you.

Lee coming back was key to us getting into the playoffs.

Infact he scored the winning goal at Ipswich which clinched the playoff spot.

He obviously wasn’t fit but Carlos still played him in the playoffs, a stupid decision which cost us dearly but appears to have cost Lee even more.

I would say the 33 points from the previous 18 games up to the Derby home game were key to us getting into the play offs not just the one game at Ipswich. Lee came off at half time on the 2nd January and wasn't seen again until the Derby game when he was substituted early in the second half after a rusty performance with us being 1-0 down. We then went onto win that game and then the next against Ipswich which Lee scored in. He didn't perform in the play offs which was either down to him not being fully fit and therefore an idiotic decision of Carvalhal or he was fit and played poorly.

I have not said he is a poor player, far from it but he isn't as good as many make out on this forum and for all his good performances there are many where he goes unnoticed.

The fact this post has openly deliberately decided to criticise a player that can not defend him self shocks me. Seriously can I have some of what this guys smoking bloody looney we’ve got here. LEE was our engine in midfield he ran himself into the ground for his shirt and one of a select few that deserve to wear our colours. He’s a damn sight better than semedo who was sainted at this club. We’ve not had a Kieran Lee day or owt?? Not to my knowledge anyway. This lad is a rising star in our team if he manageability to get his hip sorted and I cannot wait for his return he’s the forgotten man at the moment and he’ll be like a new signing for us next season I cannot wait!!!

1 hour ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Jealousy mate.. he has pure jealousy...

It's because KL is in possession of that halo every one wants 

That  "Hubcapped diamond star"variety 

Get it on Brian 

Bang a gong 

Get it on 

WTF !!!!

quoting the words of my favourite ever artiste..... like it,like it !!! 

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Ronnie Starling said:

I would say the 33 points from the previous 18 games up to the Derby home game were key to us getting into the play offs not just the one game at Ipswich. Lee came off at half time on the 2nd January and wasn't seen again until the Derby game when he was substituted early in the second half after a rusty performance with us being 1-0 down. We then went onto win that game and then the next against Ipswich which Lee scored in. He didn't perform in the play offs which was either down to him not being fully fit and therefore an idiotic decision of Carvalhal or he was fit and played poorly.

I have not said he is a poor player, far from it but he isn't as good as many make out on this forum and for all his good performances there are many where he goes unnoticed.

We just disagree on the strengths and weaknesses of his game.