Two Major Concerns with Jos

Guest Arcadianrocket

3 hours ago, trask43 said:

Think he's just past it to be honest but a megson/warnock type manager doesnt seem to me to be best suited to rhodes. Part of his problem to me is that he doesnt seem to have the same competitive streak in him that most top strikers have , he hasnt responded well to competition for his place at boro or here, he seems more suited to an arm round the shoulder approach in a team where hes the star man and knows he'll be playing week in week out regardless.

The reach thing is a bit of a dilemma he was very good when first deployed in centre midfield but has been poor in recent weeks and Im not sure hes really the answer in there long term. He has most of the attributes (with one glaring weakness) for the left wing back position and for me can go further in the game in that position. Its seems a no brainer to play him there in the remaining games so we will at least get a chance to see if it will work or not.

Pelupessy has been hit and miss its a bit early to write him off but for me all depends  on where we want to be as a club long term, if our aspirations are automatic promotion we will need better starting centre midfielders than reach and pelupessy who would both be decent backup for a top two side.

He is Mr Nice Guy. Got more money than he needs. No ambition.

Wet blanket.

My reservations of jos are his ability to motivate the team week in week out. Give them a rocket when they need it and play a high tempo when that’s needed. The second is to change the course of the game when we’re struggling , I’ll give him Preston but hutch was injured so even then you could argue it was forced upon him. Villa Ipswich and yesterday he did little to alter the outcome. Fulham were pretty good though 

21 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

I would say the biggest concern is his safety first tactics. Not usually the catalyst for success. 

With the perilous league position he inherited allied with the injury crisis to end all injury crises robbing him of all our best attacking players, can he really be blamed for adopting a safety first approach?

We've been like a boxer with one hand tied behind his back since Luhukay arrived. If we'd started swinging punches all willy-nilly, we could have been knocked out by now.

27 minutes ago, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

With the perilous league position he inherited allied with the injury crisis to end all injury crises robbing him of all our best attacking players, can he really be blamed for adopting a safety first approach?

We've been like a boxer with one hand tied behind his back since Luhukay arrived. If we'd started swinging punches all willy-nilly, we could have been knocked out by now.

I’ve made the same point on many previous occasions. I just feel this will continue to be his approach unfortunately. 

58 minutes ago, nethertonowl said:

Cant judge Reach on yesterday alone, Playing one of the best three midfields in this league, with Buttercup and Pelusessy for support, god help him.

Agree. 

McDonald Johnssen and Cairney as a trio are very very good.

We ever got Hutchinson Lee and Bannan playing in a three for 30+ games we would have similar.

Edited by pazowl55

6 hours ago, AracdianDreamer said:

1. Adam Reach being played out of position/

In this formation the Reach position is one of the most important. Reach is no way near quick enough with his thinking, technically good enough to pass the ball as required and he is the worst player we have for pulling out of tackles. Reach biggest asset is his stamina and work rate. He is a perfect for the left wing back role.

Then you have Boyd, who unlike Reach has technical ability, can see a pass and tackles. Yet he has no ability to run anymore. Until FF, Hooper can play in the reach position, then I have been concerned Jos hasn't decided to try and swap Reach and Boyd around.

2. Signing of Joey Pelupessy.

I know many will say it is too soon to judge and perhaps it is. Butterfield gets vilified on here but Pelupessy offers little either. The games just passes him by. When the ballwent up  in the middle yesterday, second half and he just ducked out of the way, petty much sums up the sort of player I think he is. When Hutchinson is in that middle we have some energy and power. A player who does not shirk a challenge. Why since the playoff final we have failed to get a replacement or competing player for his role I don't know. Pearson at Preston does the role ten times as well as Pelupessy.

One major thing he has got right though is establishing Rhodes is past it and allowed Joao and Nuhiu to blossom. 

Pelupessy has started to look like he has promise to me - still neeeds longer to get use to the English game and get our better players around him. He will come good.

My take on things:

Reach

Long term, unless he plays left wing back, I simply cannot see where he fits in. We have a number of midfielders already at the club who are better suited playing the central midfield/No.10 position better than he is. And, to be honest, I'm concerned that, despite our continuing issues down our left flank, that Luhukay hasn't opted to try Reach there, even late on in games. 

Reach did a job in the middle when we were down to bare bones. And, to be fair to him, he showed glimpses of the genuine quality that he possesses. But, his strengths are his energy and his ability to run at players. Two key attributes for a wing back in the system we play. If Reach isn't seen as an option at left wing back, realistically he's a back up central midfielder. Don't get me wrong, he'd be a excellent back-up option...but it's a total waste of his ability.

Pelupessy

He's struggled, but he had shown some positive signs of late, especially in his performance away at Sunderland. He's taken a long time to adapt, and as it currently stands, we don't utilise his strengths enough. We tend to utilise him as a sitter, a screen in front of the defence. But it doesn't suit him. His best periods of football have come about when we've pressed teams, and he's been able to anticipate and intercepted balls in front of midfield players. When we sit deep and keep our shape, he gets swallowed up. In the 2nd half yesterday he was lost. Totally dominated, and that's been a regular pattern to his performances. 

I still maintain David Jones is a much better option at performing that sitting role. And yet, when fit, Hutchinson is better at the ball winning role that Pelupessy prefers. Again, long term, if we are to improve, I can only see him been a decent back up option. If he's a regular in the current set up, then I cannot see us becoming anything more than also-rans. 

Luhukay

He's done alright so far. He took over a complete shambles, and was then dealt a number of devastating injuries. The period throughout February was just about getting through games. He cannot be judged on those results or performances. The results after the international break have provided a bit of positivity, and as fans, we have to respect what he's achieved in the game. 

I'm keen to see how he'll shape us over the summer, but at the minute, I've no clue how he's going to go about it. At present, I don't think the football we're setting up to play suits us. We have a lot of players that thrive on high tempo, front foot football...but we're playing opposite to that. Whether that's a conscience setup with a lack of trust in the players fitness I'm not sure. 

But, the summer is going to be key with regards where our football club goes over the next couple of seasons, and it's imperative we have a specific idea on how to play. The reason we've stagnated over the past 18 months is a direct consequence of lacking that specific plan moving forward. Carlos didn't bring players in who suited the way we played. We can't afford that again. And I have to say, I've concerns already. The signing of Pelupessy is a warning sign (we don't play in a way that suits his game), his utilisation of Reach (although, granted it's been dictated by injuries) and the fact we don't seem to be showing a specific philosophy/style of play currently. 

That said, yesterday's men against boys display might actually emphasise exactly what is needed to get out of this division. Fulham technically are no better than Wednesday (when we've got our full compliment available), but they the antithesis of ourselves when it comes to physical attributes. They have a great mix of strength, pace and stamina throughout every strata of the pitch. Something, I think we rate as one of the worst in the division.

Edited by frastheowl

39 minutes ago, Pale Rider said:

I’ve made the same point on many previous occasions. I just feel this will continue to be his approach unfortunately. 

We'll have to wait and see, I suppose.

It's just incredibly hard to judge him based on what we've seen, as he's been working with the weaker half of somebody else's squad, many of whom seemed to be lacking proper fitness.

By the summer he'll have a decent grasp of Championship football and the attributes which successful teams possess, and hopefully he'll have a clear plan of how to get us prepared for a proper go at it next season.

1 hour ago, pazowl55 said:

Agree. 

McDonald Johnssen and Cairney as a trio are very very good.

We ever got Hutchinson Lee and Bannan playing in a three for 30+ games we would have similar.

And therein lies the rub

Just isn’t going to happen - Lee and Hutch need replacing

8 hours ago, Southie_Owl said:

Here’s a genuine question, do we think Rhodes would perform better under the motivation and support of a British Warnock type manager, or do we think he’s just past it? 

There’s definitely still a goal scorer in there, look at Vydra top scorer in the league this year with the right management had the same barren seasons as Rhodes. 

9 hours ago, Bigaltheowl said:

yes  the grapevine is saying Rhodes is on his out apparently jos does not speak to him also rumours his dad may follow !!!! just what I have heard

I hope so. Too much semtiment with the father & son combo.

Gets in the way, imagine if we had a really promising player and his Dad was an ex-player.

Whatever next ?

:Chansiri:

6 hours ago, adelphi1867 said:

FFS!, the last 3 months has shown Reache's BEST position.

When he plays central, as he is now, he is more involved in the game, he has flourished and looked more of an attacking threat than Bannan.

When Fulham go up, I hope we, at least try to sign Macdonald, he is just what we need, Bannan with height and strength, and let the Midget go and take Swansea down.

Not a Bannan fan then.

lol

Think your going to be disappointed. Because like Carlos I also think Jos will build his whole team around Bannan.

11 hours ago, Pale Rider said:

I would say the biggest concern is his safety first tactics. Not usually the catalyst for success. 

With the players at his disposal safety first is his only option. We will have to wait and see what tactics Jos employs with a full strength team. Any other tactic apart from safety first would have equalled certain relegation and Jos getting sack. Looking back JL came to us at a very difficult time. The form was deffo relegation form and we didnt have enough points bagged to relax and play a more open and attacking style. We still got a full team of injured players.