Two Major Concerns with Jos

Guest Arcadianrocket

26 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

I have a few issues with Jos, although those aren’t two of them

As for Reach in centre midfield, in some games he has looked as if he can adapt to the role, but in others, the game just passes him by The problem is, for me anyway, he has looked less convincing out wide, whether as a winger, or a wing back He often seems to be a peripheral player, wherever he is played 

I am afraid you might well be right. Boro were not unhappy to let him go and we are at their kind of level of club. He fits into any football played but does not assert himself. Maybe he reverts to being a left flank midfielder with orders to cross the ball. JL has a difficult inheritance.

I don't Reach is good enough. Reminds me of Andy Booth because he runs around a lot, fans think he's a better player than he actually is.

You can't compare Pelupessy with Butterfield, one is a young lad trying to adapt to a different type of football in a different country, the other is supposedly a seasoned championship midfielder.

I believe a Mick McCarthy type manager would get more out of Rhodes but I don't see Chansiri ever going for this type of manager.

Is Jos the right man? Who knows? Personally I don't see him having much room for manouvere in the transfer market and getting the best of what he's already got is probably his immediate task. He does need better wing-back options if he's going to persevere with 3-5-2.

Agree with the OP, although I think Pelupessy has good technical ability but if we want him to be a Hutchinson replacement it won’t happen. He’s more a David Jones replacement.

Its hard to judge Jos on his style and how he wants to play as it’s been firefighting so far. I can’t say I’d be fussed if we made a change but I don’t think we will. 

1 hour ago, Dronfield Blue said:

6 months ago I would have said he needs motivation and to be played in his best position. TBH, I'm not sure now. Something is a miss.

You’re probably right, I just have worry that Rhodes loss of form has happened under foreign managers and next season we’ll probably loan him to Stoke in the championship and playing for Lambert again will make Rhodes start scoring and fire them to promotion! It will be like another Sam Winnall situation where he says he’s really happy at his new club and feels wanted by the manager and fans etc.

Nightmare! 

Reach has carried us this year when superstars have been sat in their boxes in the stand . Yet again we saw one go off yesterday while Reach played another 90 mins.

We should be thanking him for keeping us in this league.

Is he the permanent answer in midfield, probably not . Is he a good footballer who needs a rest , definitely.

Same with Pelupessey. Is he the answer , don’t know, . He had a good game at Sunderland, less good yesterday against a top quality midfield.

Tell you what though , he had a better game than Hutch.

I am fed up of superstars who are never on the pitch, and I bet Jos is as well.

How can Rhodes being poor be any fault of Jos.

He wasn’t playing under Carlos and hasn’t looked the part since being here.

We should be thanking Jos for getting the best out of Atty and Joao .

I would probably prefer a good quality manager who understands our league better but Jos has done a fantastic job if he keeps us up. 

32 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

Reach has carried us this year when superstars have been sat in their boxes in the stand . Yet again we saw one go off yesterday while Reach played another 90 mins.

We should be thanking him for keeping us in this league.

Is he the permanent answer in midfield, probably not . Is he a good footballer who needs a rest , definitely.

Hear hear. He's the only member of our squad who's managed more 30 league appearances in a season where practically everyone has been crocked at some stage, which speaks volumes about his natural fitness levels. Also he has most assists and goals from MF in a season where he's been asked to do a job for the team, and has been one of the few plus points in a season of mediocrity.

Our team next season should be built around Reach, Jos needs to identify what position will suit him best and choose a system accordingly.

IMO Reach only gets stick because of the price tag. Just get over it, that's modern football.

Edited by Marc_Degryse
Typo

22 minutes ago, Marc_Degryse said:

Hear hear. He's the only member of our squad who's managed more 30 league appearances in a season where practically everyone has been crocked at some stage, which speaks volumes about his natural fitness levels. Also he has most assists and goals from MF in a season where he's been asked to do a job for the team, and has been one of the few plus points in a season of mediocrity.

Our team next season should be built around Reach, Jos needs to identify what position will suit him best and choose a system accordingly.

IMO Reach only gets stick because of the price tag. Just get over it, that's modern football.

He gets stick because his shooting, passing and crossing are cr@p 80% of the time.

2 hours ago, Mishowl said:

There is nothing to suggest Jos is the right man. He will prove to be another bad appointment just like Carlos. 

Daft statement based on very little factual evidence.

He has actually got clubs promoted which is much more than Carlos ever achieved 

He can only be judged when he has had a full pre season and folloing season after.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Marc_Degryse said:

Paragraphs one and three I agree with; paragraph two - not so much!

Reach has been one of the few plus points in a very poor season and he's a good player, but I wouldn't say he's good enough to build a team around. Not if we want to be challenging at the top of the table, anyway.

2 hours ago, Mishowl said:

There is nothing to suggest Jos is the right man. He will prove to be another bad appointment just like Carlos. 

Nearly all managers prove to be the wrong appointment .....................................eventually. It's what happens in the interim that counts.

Carlos was great the first season but lost his way, it usually happens like that, except for the ones that don't even have a great first season. We've had plenty of them. lol

I must say against most of the more vocal OP that Reach is not ideal for LWB position. Reach cant tackle and his defensive positioning is poor. I think Reach best position is midfield. His recent dip in form is fatigue. Jos rightly prefers Boyd at LWB as he better at tackling and Boyd is not missed as much as an in form reach further up field. 

Pelupessy comments I feel are very harsh. He a young guy come from another country, new team, different style and also thrust in a pretty poor team with low confidence and big crowds. His worth to the team is still very early days. Next season is time to judge around xmas. Lets face it for the peanuts we paid for him he a gamble that very difficult to lose on. His transfer fee and wages compared to Fletcher etc is a bargain and he going to improve.

The problem Jos has is to many important players are getting injured. He is going to have to sell them at a loss to be able to have a stable established team. Out - Abdi, Mattias, Fletcher, Butters, Fox, Westwood and Hooper. Sam Hutchison needs to retire as a player and would be a great coach. Kieren Lee if he not retiring needs a good pre season and to build up strength and would need to be kept under strict management. If he was rested when required I sure his form and fitness could be improved.

Jos will replace them with quick strong young fit players from europe. Jos now knows what a team needs to be in this division to win promotion. He the man for me.I can't fault him so far. All those who can are being unrealistic about how good we actually are when our best players cant be relied on to play most games in a season.

2 hours ago, trask43 said:

Think he's just past it to be honest but a megson/warnock type manager doesnt seem to me to be best suited to rhodes. Part of his problem to me is that he doesnt seem to have the same competitive streak in him that most top strikers have , he hasnt responded well to competition for his place at boro or here, he seems more suited to an arm round the shoulder approach in a team where hes the star man and knows he'll be playing week in week out regardless.

The reach thing is a bit of a dilemma he was very good when first deployed in centre midfield but has been poor in recent weeks and Im not sure hes really the answer in there long term. He has most of the attributes (with one glaring weakness) for the left wing back position and for me can go further in the game in that position. Its seems a no brainer to play him there in the remaining games so we will at least get a chance to see if it will work or not.

Pelupessy has been hit and miss its a bit early to write him off but for me all depends  on where we want to be as a club long term, if our aspirations are automatic promotion we will need better starting centre midfielders than reach and pelupessy who would both be decent backup for a top two side.

There is another way,

I have seen on a couple of occasions that a letter written to Rhodes by young children have brought the best out of him, (even been posted on here)

so my theory is, if we get all the children under lets say 12 to write a letter begging him to start trying  and stop running like a girl, because they pay his wages out

of their pocket money, this can only make him our top striker.

Thank me later.

:rolleyes:

PS. Or just get rid.

Edited by daleblue
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Mishowl said:

I think getting a moderate set of results out of the reserves has been enough to suggest Jos has a chance of being a very good manager for us next season.

Yesterday we had 4 players who would have been a first pick in August, and one of them went off after 20.

And until recently we had ONE of them playing. 

Guest Arcadianrocket

Why do some posters think a manager like Warnock or McCarthy would suit Rhodes? These are full blooded up and at the managers who want their strikers to be strong, powerful and hold the ball up. Rhodes would last two seconds under a manager like this.

FFS!, the last 3 months has shown Reache's BEST position.

When he plays central, as he is now, he is more involved in the game, he has flourished and looked more of an attacking threat than Bannan.

When Fulham go up, I hope we, at least try to sign Macdonald, he is just what we need, Bannan with height and strength, and let the Midget go and take Swansea down.