hirst to united

3 minutes ago, clud17 said:

Maybe if we hadn't spunked millions on players that rarely play or are not effective when they do play we could have offered him a decent contract with the ability to talk to a big club if they came in for him. I think FFP may have got in the way here and something we could learn from now we have a better academy.

We can afford what he was asking, the club are just not been held to ransom. What happens if he actually gets good? He will leave the first chance he gets anyway so why prolong it? He is obviously not interested in staying and helping his home town club progress. 

He's only a year younger than rashford, and I'll go out on a limb and say he will never play for Manchester uniteds first team week in week out, and he knows that. This is defo not FFP it's principal, vs what can I get now. I completely agree with the club here, footballs gone mad. 

40 minutes ago, David1867 said:

Good luck to him if this is true. This sort of rules out the "he's chasing money" argument as Manchester United are not one of the teams that chucks ridiculous amounts of money at young players. 

All the best to him, it's every footballers dream to play for one of the biggest clubs in world football. 

The only loser over in this whole situation- Sheffield Wednesday. 

Im sure he will be well paid to be fair 

57 minutes ago, kazads said:

Do you think it could have been avoided... because I don't....David Hirst didn't go to Man UTD it was his choice and I think that was a lot to do with the drinking culture back then ...only my opinion... listening to folks now you would think he didn't have a choice back then ...I'm sure he did...so he wants George to do what he didn't ..good luck to the lad but one wonders if it's the right choice this time ...

yes i do

15 minutes ago, clud17 said:

Maybe if we hadn't spunked millions on players that rarely play or are not effective when they do play we could have offered him a decent contract with the ability to talk to a big club if they came in for him. I think FFP may have got in the way here and something we could learn from now we have a better academy.

Was the contract the club offered to Hirst not a decent contract, then?

47 minutes ago, bigdan2003 said:

Yeah I believe that agents / egos and money got in the way. He’s been poorly advised and I have no doubt Wednesday played a part in all of this. 

They havent engineered a move to Man Utd, they engineered more money. Just so happens Man Utd might be interested now. Fair enough, understand it’s a short career and players have to get what they can. But it doesn’t sit right with me. A kid who’s bagged a load of goals but totally unproven at a senior level. 

the days of 'short career and players get what they can get' are in the past, top players can earn in one season more than a street full of men can in a lifetime. 

an average player at a decent mid table championship side, can earn way more in 5 seasons than a decent paid man can in a lifetime, well above any minimum, or living wage chap.

I don't get the 'money grabber' argument. Football is a (short) career and you're worth whatever someone is willing to pay you on the open market.

If GH knows he can be paid more elsewhere than we're willing to pay (due to youth player pay structure or having spaffed all our money on old, slow crocks) then good luck to the lad.

This is the state of modern football. A young relatively unproven footballer and his agents dictating terms to a club - a foreign owner blundering it in return.

The poster who noted how these players can earn more in a year than a working man in his lifetime is spot on.

Yet us suckers keep turning up.

Umm... he’s out of contract yeah? So all these “megabucks” comments and “let them buy him and loan him back” comments are weird.

If true he’s signs, we seek a bit of compensation, he’s quids in, we are not so.

10 minutes ago, Wednesday-Wonderland said:

I don't get the 'money grabber' argument. Football is a (short) career and you're worth whatever someone is willing to pay you on the open market.

If GH knows he can be paid more elsewhere than we're willing to pay (due to youth player pay structure or having spaffed all our money on old, slow crocks) then good luck to the lad.

Money grabber is applicable because despite being at his supposed boyhood club, despite being offered an annual salary in the region of 500k, he thinks the grass is greener somewhere else.

The signing of an ineffective striker on 40k a week mist have been a huge factor.

Chansiri has a lot to answer for in this saga. He shouldn't have been held to ransom, but he signed the deal for Rhodes. He allowed CC to run the team, and CC didn't choose to play the lad.

He's leaving but I don't think for one minute he'll end up a player at Old Trafford.

Good luck to the lad.

Its a dream move. Gets to train in some of the best facilities in world football with some of the best coaches.

But still think it's a sad indictment of the modern game. Young lad gets huge move to Manchester United before he's even started a competitive game in professional football. He'll probably get loaned out no doubt, but lets face it chances he becomes a regular for the first team is unlikely. The big clubs will continue to spend spend spend to get that advantage over their rivals, young players will have to be exceptionally good to become first team stars for clubs like United nowadays.

Also, puts an end to this fairytale of Hirst following his dads footsteps and leading the line for Wednesday. Loyalty and fairytales aren't a thing in modern football, it's dead. All about money. Sad but true.

• Like 1

If he can get a gig at Man U then good for him. It seems a bit like his dad living his dream through his son but what the hell it wouldn't be the first time a dad did that. Bit creepy though.

You can't fault the lads self belief, maybe that's a good thing but I have my doubts he will ever make the first team for them. They can buy the best in the world, it's hard for a lad to get a game when the club buy a ready made world class star. He might have been better serving his time at a lower level Premiership club like Everton who have a history of developing stars.

Any way, he goes his way, we go ours, good luck to him. I've nothing against him, can't say I like his dad as much as I did. I don't know all the ins and outs of this saga but I don't think David has covered himself in glory.

2 minutes ago, SallyCinnamon said:

Good luck to the lad.

Its a dream move. Gets to train in some of the best facilities in world football with some of the best coaches.

But still think it's a sad indictment of the modern game. Young lad gets huge move to Manchester United before he's even started a competitive game in professional football. He'll probably get loaned out no doubt, but lets face it chances he becomes a regular for the first team is unlikely. The big clubs will continue to spend spend spend to get that advantage over their rivals, young players will have to be exceptionally good to become first team stars for clubs like United nowadays.

Also, puts an end to this fairytale of Hirst following his dads footsteps and leading the line for Wednesday. Loyalty and fairytales aren't a thing in modern football, it's dead. All about money. Sad but true.

Easy move for Man United too. They see young England international rotting away in the reserves of a lower division club, out of contract, decent reports from the England camp and his dad repeating the story about how he wished he’d joined Man United and bang, sign him up.

At the very worst they will lose a couple of million in wages to the player and a spot of compensation up front to us (but not a lot). If it works out ok they sell him on an recoup their money, if he turns out to be a worldly they’ve taken a chance and reaped a reward.

Makes perfect sense all round.

1 hour ago, welsOwl74 said:

F**k him

only interested in players who want to play football not chase the cash

Yeah. Cos staying here was getting him loads of opportunities to play.

We're a total joke of club who are run as badly as pretty much any club I can think of. 

Good luck to George. Can't blame him for wanted to be as far away from us as possible.