Wildsmith

1 minute ago, torryowl said:

you have to balance it,  is say whatever we can get for westwood worth more than the extra points we'll get with him in instead of wildsmith ........i'm sure if we stick with wildsmith he'll gradually cut down on the errors as he gains more experience but are we a good enough team to contend with a keeper who costs us goals while he learns  . probably not imo .  

"you have to balance it". Fair comment.

At some point you've got to balance the books....that time is now.

As an aside.. teams that rely on goalies to save them week in week out don't tend to do very well in the long run.

WTF!?

58 minutes ago, Kagoshimaowl said:

At fault for the first two goals today.  Dawson deserves a chance to play.

I'd have switched them before the Swansea replay personally. 

My guess is we're planning to head into the new season with a rookie keeper so if nothing else we may as well see what they're both made of. Wildsmith has had his chance, now for Dawson to get his.

I actually think Wildsmith should have done better with the third goal too...high ball, not much pace, coming towards him and scored from the far post inside of the 6-yard box. My guess is that had he not flapped earlier, he might have taken a stab at that

Edited by McRightSide

7 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

As an aside.. teams that rely on goalies to save them week in week out don't tend to do very well in the long run.

WTF!?

That's true.

It's poor form if your Goalkeeper wins player of the season  ...

It means those in front of him haven't done their jobs correctly. .

8 hours ago, Costello 77 said:

WTF!?

it helps if you have a solid one though. .......I always think the keeper is the key player in a team .a striker misses 2 sitters in the first 12 minutes and the score remains the same ,the keeper drops 2 clangers and the game is lost . never ceases to amaze me why keepers fetch so little money .  

• Like 1

Not sure I blame him for the first. He's blocked off by our own defender as he tries to come for the ball, he has to go round, that's why he's a lot more under it than he wants to be and cant get as much on it.

2nd, yep, no idea why he can't hold that. It's a miss-hit, it's probably spinning like crazy, but he's right behind it. Should do better tbh.

3rd.. no chance. I think people forget how bit the goal is. His starting position when the ball comes in is good, but there's no way he can get to the back post to block that quick enough. It's a good goal, neither Westwood nor Dawson would have stopped it either. I think it's Lees that gave their guy a free header.. if you want to lay blame then there's only one place it should go for that goal.

• Like 1

You always know what you're get from Wildsmith.

He is very good at saving one on ones, he's also very good at reaction saves from close range.

The problem is, most keepers are, especially at a pro level.

He major major problem is that he is useless from long range shots. The mistakes this season have been from shots outside the box, he doesn't get down quick enough, or get his back leg behind the ball to block any mistakes. Last night his hands weren't soft enough, which is the reason for the parry.

This is something you can coach, and I imagine Rhodes is working hard with him. But this has been his problem for 2 years now.

1 hour ago, cookeh said:

Not sure I blame him for the first. He's blocked off by our own defender as he tries to come for the ball, he has to go round, that's why he's a lot more under it than he wants to be and cant get as much on it.

2nd, yep, no idea why he can't hold that. It's a miss-hit, it's probably spinning like crazy, but he's right behind it. Should do better tbh.

3rd.. no chance. I think people forget how bit the goal is. His starting position when the ball comes in is good, but there's no way he can get to the back post to block that quick enough. It's a good goal, neither Westwood nor Dawson would have stopped it either. I think it's Lees that gave their guy a free header.. if you want to lay blame then there's only one place it should go for that goal.

I'm surprised at the amount of people blaming him for the third

Their player crossed the ball from inside the area

Wildesmith was in the correct position, no way could he get to the back stick in such a short time, and where were the defenders, who was supposed to follow their player's run

In my opinion, he could have done better on the second, the first was bad luck, the third not his fault.

Wednesdayites always need a scapegoat.

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Guest Kameron

He's like many of our squad, just not quite good enough.  We're not going to be promoted until various key positions are vastly improved, we need a top notch back up to cover Westwood.  Wildsmith and Dawson are very capable keepers but for promotion we need better.  This squad and management needs a total rebuild.

11 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I'm surprised at the amount of people blaming him for the third

Their player crossed the ball from inside the area

Wildesmith was in the correct position, no way could he get to the back stick in such a short time, and where were the defenders, who was supposed to follow their player's run

In my opinion, he could have done better on the second, the first was bad luck, the third not his fault.

Wednesdayites always need a scapegoat.

I dont really want to scapegoat the lad hes been impressive at times this season but the ball for first goal comes a long way and he just misjudges the flight of the ball and gets caught under it meaning he cant get much of a punch on it. The second is as poor as you'll see at this level he fumbles a tame shot but still has the chance to react to knock it out for a corner and instead knocks it straight back out into a dangerous area. It would be harsh to blame him for the third as you said the cross comes from inside the area the fullback needs to do more and the back post defended better but its a quality cross.

Guest everydays_wednesday
15 hours ago, cockneyvillageowl said:

Agreed, he had a bit of a shocker tonight 

Alas he did but he will be fine because it’s all Jos fault apparently....:-)

Wildsmith at fault for the first 3 goals IMO.

Problem is, because he's come through the youth setup the fans are desperate for him to succeed at S6.

For every good game he has, I'm afraid 2 or 3 stinkers tend to follow.

In my view, not good enough for this league.

We need Westwood back and fully fit for next season.

You cannot carry a goalkeeper at this level who makes this amount of mistakes. He's made more already then Westwood ever has. Keepers WILL cost you points and games with errors.  Good ones will limit themselves to 2 or 3 a year where you think that's on the keeper. He's making 2 a game sometimes. 

My post history always has my thoughts on this from months ago. He should not be playing for the first team whilst he has these errors in his game. Dawson has proved reliable and error free whenever he's stepped in.

I have seen plenty of U23 games with both keepers and I've seen exactly the same. His errors cost us the game after 10 minutes yesterday.

Edited by mark77