Wildsmith

7 hours ago, S61 Owl said:

Great shot stopper and definitely should be our number one for next season - only area he really needs to improve in is his distribution imo

Correct, 

7 hours ago, torres said:

As a shot stopper he is very good

Reading the game as a whole ie when to release, who to give it to, tempo etc he is pretty poor and looks slightly dopey 

Westwoods distribution isnt the greatest to be honest!

Still makes too many mistakes for me.

If we have any ambition of getting promoted next season he should be out on loan playing 40 odd games to iron some of those kinks in his game out

Major technical issues with his kicking too which - unless corrected - will severely hamper his potential 

Edited by McRightSide

8 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

I'm not that fussed about his kicking TBH...He hit Nuhius head enough yesterday, ..or Nuhiu got to it..

As long as he clears it, I'm not fussed....

We can't play out from the back cos we haven't got the talent nor the pace to move it quickly enough...

It’s poor kicking under pressure that’s the main consequence of poor technique. Under no pressure it doesn’t have a major impact (aside from the odd punt into touch)

Better teams will position us to a point where we have to keep giving him the ball under pressure and wait for the inevitable mistake.

Edited by McRightSide

Westwood is still number one for me if he stays in the summer. 

Think Joe has all the potential in the world, but he's going to have to work on his distribution. 

Shot stopping wise he's exceptional but his kicking leaves (particularly when clearing on the ground) a fair bit to be desired. 

Edited by SiJ

3 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

It’s poor kicking under pressure that’s the main consequence of poor technique. Under no pressure it doesn’t have a major impact (aside from the odd punt into touch)

Better teams will position us to a point where we have to keep giving him the ball under pressure and wait for the inevitable mistake.

Hardly ever see a team set up those "tactics"..They might make the odd run at him, but I doubt it would be at the forefront of a team talk , unless he had a habit of making major rickets from his clearances...which he doesn't..

53 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Hardly ever see a team set up those "tactics"..They might make the odd run at him, but I doubt it would be at the forefront of a team talk , unless he had a habit of making major rickets from his clearances...which he doesn't..

Its a high press.

Thats it.

I could probably easily show you 10 teams who did that this weekend if I could be bothered

11 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Its a high press.

Thats it.

I could probably easily show you 10 teams who did that this weekend if I could be bothered

Show me 5 that came from poor kicking from the keeper....not the keeper distributing it and a defender messing it up...Cos thats high press...on the back 4 , not simply the keeper...The argument is Wildsmiths clearing the ball..not building up from the back 4

10 hours ago, chizumgeorge said:

Was absolute class yesterday, kept the score respectable with a string of great saves De Gea would be proud of! Absolute class, hes got to be no1 for next season

So a bit like Westwood has for the past 3 seasons or so then?

Just can't understand why people seem to have completely forgotten how good Westwood is.

It's nothing against wildsmith or Dawson. Both excellent but not the standard of Westwood.

These amazing saves that wildsmith is pulling off are fantastic. But Westwood has been doing it season after season for us.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, asteener1867 said:

Show me 5 that came from poor kicking from the keeper....not the keeper distributing it and a defender messing it up...Cos thats high press...on the back 4 , not simply the keeper...The argument is Wildsmiths clearing the ball..not building up from the back 4

Not sure what your point is to be honest.

A high press increases the chance of a pass back to the keeper, and a higher chance of being able to put that kick under pressure

Edited by McRightSide

1 hour ago, chizumgeorge said:

Yes, only younger. Can only get better the more he plays. Westwood wasnt great this season before he got injured

Depends if he was injured while he was playing. would hardly be surprising given the amount of players who have said they were playing injured under Carlos....fernando, bannan, hutch, Lees, Lee etc.

Could explain why he wasn't to his normal standard. 

12 hours ago, poite said:

Depends if he was injured while he was playing. would hardly be surprising given the amount of players who have said they were playing injured under Carlos....fernando, bannan, hutch, Lees, Lee etc.

Could explain why he wasn't to his normal standard. 

Coming rushing out for balls and getting nowhere near them 3 games on the bounce is nowt to do with injuries!