Wildsmith

Just now, S61 Owl said:

Great shot stopper and definitely should be our number one for next season - only area he really needs to improve in is his distribution imo

As a shot stopper he is very good

Reading the game as a whole ie when to release, who to give it to, tempo etc he is pretty poor and looks slightly dopey 

1 hour ago, owlsdreamer said:

I think Dawson looks a better all round keeper.

Wildsmith is a great shot stopper but I question is command of the area and distribution,

I think he knows his size limits his ability to command his goal area like Westwood or Dawson.

He also knows his reflexes are so swift he is better off staying on the goal line for most crosses and set pieces.

He was also very impressive yesterday in 1 on1 situations when Fulham got behind our defence.

Got his timing and angles spot on on 3 occassions to deny what looked certain goals.

All in all I think Wildsmith is the best of our 3 keepers at present.

Don't think our other two would have kept yesterday's score down to only the one we conceded.

2 hours ago, torres said:

As a shot stopper he is very good

Reading the game as a whole ie when to release, who to give it to, tempo etc he is pretty poor and looks slightly dopey 

Yeah because lumping it long for it come straight back is a good idea. Rather him hold onto it.

5 minutes ago, gableratchet said:

There were many times yesterday when Fulham attacked and he could have released the ball early and it would have been 2 against 2 but with holding onto it the Fulham team were allowed to regroup and that's when the ball came straight back

Do you sit near me on the North

I was screaming this yesterday

Having said that, their smallish centre half had a great game

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

goal keeping thees days is a lot more than being a great shot stopper. The main thing he needs to work on is his kicking which is shocking at the moment. As people have already said, a few times yesterday he could have released it early for Joao to have a run in behind. The problem was he tried it twice and both times he either kicked it in the wrong direction or looped the ball in the air. This is where Westwood is still number one for me. 

Good shot stopper but poor distribution for me.

I lost count of the number of times Joao and Nuhui were one on one and begging for the ball but he just held on to it until their defense and midfield got back in position. 

1 hour ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

Re read your post. You didn't say it but implied it ie. when to release and tempo.

Yet again what has tempo of releasing the ball got to do with lumping it upfield???

To simplify it for you - it means making the right decision at the right time. He doesn’t understand when to or what pass to make at the right time. This could mean speed up, slow down, short pass or long ball 

Keep at it, you’ll understand soon

18 minutes ago, torres said:

Yet again what has tempo of releasing the ball got to do with lumping it upfield???

To simplify it for you - it means making the right decision at the right time. He doesn’t understand when to or what pass to make at the right time. This could mean speed up, slow down, short pass or long ball 

Keep at it, you’ll understand soon

He does understand what pass to make. People were saying for ball to be lumped forward yesterday he didn't and there was moans. Giessing you were one of them.

Fast releases of the ball when lumping up pitch is tempo. He also effectively slowed the game down at many times. Please watch him more when he receives the ball at a goal kick or in his hands before commenting.