Tactics were wrong today...

So Fulham are great at keeping the ball....yet we allow Wildsmith to hoof the ball up field. Then we lose the 50-50 header the majority of the time and Fulham then come back at us....No wonder they had 20 plus bloody shots/attempts.

It was a matter of time before Fulham would score with their talent when we keep giving them the ball. 

Bonkers tactics. 

Fulhams keeper made sure he passed the ball to his defenders not to lose possession. A team without the ball cannot score! 

Edited by CF83OWL

Not so sure about that. Nuhiu won plenty of flick ons, we just didn't get enough players around him or push far enough up for them to come to anything or put any pressure on. Our midfield had enough opportunities to retain possession or doing something with the ball but they were 2nd best today. It was Fulham's midfield that allowed them to dictate possession and they had options out wide which forced us back and allowed them space to play. Don't think it would have made much difference if Wildsmith had gone short more as our midfield wouldn't have been able to carry or pass the ball into their half.

As I said, Fulham are great at keeping the ball yet we kept giving them the ball.  Flick ons didnt work did they!

If we played 5 in midfield (3-5-2) then what on earth were they doing against Fulham's midfield? 

Different tactics needed!

Edited by CF83OWL

It doesnt help when players are on their heels and not reacting to the second ball. There were times today when we were in good positions but the decision making by individuals let us down. Wildsmiths kicking was poor and is something our keepers need to work on. One particular moment saw us 2 v 2 upfront but Wildsmith delayed the kick and allowed Fulham to regroup.

1 minute ago, CF83OWL said:

As I said, Fulham are great at keeping the ball yet we kept giving them the ball.  Flick on didnt work did they!

If we played 5 in midfield (3-5-2) then what on earth were they doing against Fulham's midfield? 

No they didn't work, for the reasons I explained. Had we tried to play out from the back more often I dare say we would have been caught in possession more in our own half and would have lost by a greater margin, but who knows.

All three of our goalkeepers do /did this 

Westwood has  always done it and progressively got worse at it as years gone by 

It's obviously coached to them ?

If it doesn't work it looks schoolboyish. .

Best I've ever seen deploying said tactics is Paul Robinson 

He coaches at Burnley now I think 

They aren't too shabby for goalies there either ....

28 minutes ago, CF83OWL said:

As I said, Fulham are great at keeping the ball yet we kept giving them the ball.  Flick ons didnt work did they!

There's no need to shout!!! lol

Only watched the highlights so far but we were chasing shadows at times. Fulham, great movement, accurate passing and an in-form striker. You just can't afford to give the ball away cheaply to teams with that level of ability, they will punish you. 

Edited by Morepork

For me Fulham were there for the taking in the first half. They leave so many gaps when attacking. A counter attacking team would have scored a few today.

It guts me that for the past 3 seasons we haven't had a player who will carry the ball.

I enjoyed watching Fulham with their fast paced wingers and attacking tactics.

Our tactics are defensive and dire.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc

Even with Lee, Hooper, Hutch, Westwood, Wallace, Fletcher ,Clare available and with a fit and ready FF and a full game from Bannan we'd have struggled to match a flying Fulham.

Injuries are dictating tactics. I'll be just be happy to scratch enough points to be truly safe and then look forward to an interesting summer revolution.

Tactics weren't wrong at all, the vast majority of the starting line up were completely off the pace. 

Bannan overplaying in his own area nearly resulting in a goal, countless players mishitting simple passes. 

We were off it today, it wasn't the tactical set up, it was player performance. For a period in that second half Fulham were all at sea defensively, unfortunately Nuhiu was the only one who fancied it.

2 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Not so sure about that. Nuhiu won plenty of flick ons, we just didn't get enough players around him or push far enough up for them to come to anything or put any pressure on. Our midfield had enough opportunities to retain possession or doing something with the ball but they were 2nd best today. It was Fulham's midfield that allowed them to dictate possession and they had options out wide which forced us back and allowed them space to play. Don't think it would have made much difference if Wildsmith had gone short more as our midfield wouldn't have been able to carry or pass the ball into their half.

Agree.

An adhesive set of Fulham midfielders when defending,  who can run through or past players when attacking. Ours need too much time and space. Mind you ours do not fall over at every challenge nor pretend they've been winded when they haven't.

Admittedly losing Bannan did not help but even while he was on, BB was trying passes far too ambitious and effectively giving the ball away.

Wildsmith did try to throw it to defenders even when it looked obvious a long kick was tempting

1 minute ago, victorturner said:

Agree.

An adhesive set of Fulham midfielders when defending,  who can run through or past players when attacking. Ours need too much time and space. Mind you ours do not fall over at every challenge nor pretend they've been winded when they haven't.

Admittedly losing Bannan did not help but even while he was on, BB was trying passes far too ambitious and effectively giving the ball away.

Wildsmith did try to throw it to defenders even when it looked obvious a long kick was tempting

Thought Bannan was hitting longer balls so the defence could push up,granted his radar was off today as was Wildsmiths especially 1st half,but Fulham were cute enough to cut out the wide balls,so channeled us into the centre more often and denied us width,hence balls out came straight back.

We lack ball winners in the centre,too many players just wanna put their body in the way and hope thats enough,noboddy gets a foot in to win it back when Hutch is out.

I didnt think we were that bad today,we just met a better side,a fully fit 1st choice side would have taken the game to them and asked them more questions,Hunt barely got out of his own half today.

1 hour ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

Even with Lee, Hooper, Hutch, Westwood, Wallace, Fletcher ,Clare available and with a fit and ready FF and a full game from Bannan we'd have struggled to match a flying Fulham.

Injuries are dictating tactics. I'll be just be happy to scratch enough points to be truly safe and then look forward to an interesting summer revolution.

Disagree. Think we would have more than matched them if they were all available. 

5 minutes ago, I'm an Essex Owl said:

Disagree. Think we would have more than matched them if they were all available. 

Agreed

Nice to see SG back at S6,best No2 in the game,would love him back here working with JL,very shrewd reader of a game,great tactician as well