Did I imagine it....

Many years ago I was in town and I was walking up Angel Street and I had a little look in the window of that tiny, tiny Wednesday shop that was on the corner that used to lead down into the underpass.  And it was a tiny shop wasn't it!

Anway.

In the window was a football shirt. A wednesday shirt.

It was the same (or in my mind it was anyway) design as the grey and purple shirt.

image.png.2b4a4743fe2d67b7ac06b8c2ec3bd757.png

Except it was white. The Umbro, the owl logo and the diagnonal pinstripes were in blue.

Collar had blue trim too.

Have I imagined it?

Did we even have third kits in those days? I don't ever recall us wearing such a shirt.

Was it real? Was it the grey one faded in the window?

My man Stubbs said  "Maybe it was a European Shirt, Sir". Though he'd got that look on his face and I think he might have been taking the Michael.

There will be plenty of you remember the smallest Shop in the world.

But does anyone else remember the shirt!?

Just now, alanharper said:

Don't recall any other version of that shirt. Possibly a t-shirt based on the away shirt design. Or maybe a trick of the light. Or the brandy.

Thing is I'm sure it was a proper shirt.

I've never seen one since and I have regretted I never bought it. If only for the fact to confirm to myself that it existed!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, zico.b said:

Only variation I've ever seen was this training top.

Appreciate it doesn't help you with your quest, M'lud, but adds to the drama.sheffield-wednesday-away-football-shirt-

Ye Gods! My eyes!

I've never seen this one before.

But it does prove there must have been variant kits arounds!

I'm wondering if Stubbs might have been onto something with his European quip.

Wasn't there a season where we would have been in Europe but the dream was cut short by the loveable rogues up the M62?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, zico.b said:

That was the 1985/86 season. Very much two kits then.

Good work Watson!

Which means does it not that we would have been in Europe for the 87 season had the ban not been in place?

And our 87 away shirt, was indeed the grey and purple monster.

It was real. I'm sure of it now!

4 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Good work Watson!

Which means does it not that we would have been in Europe for the 87 season had the ban not been in place?

And our 87 away shirt, was indeed the grey and purple monster.

It was real. I'm sure of it now!

We would - and we'd have done bloody well in the UEFA Cup as well. European teams hated the English style hence us winning so many trophies in Europe,  and Wilko took it to the next level.

Doesn't explain this white shirt that you hallucinated though lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

I've never seen a blue diagonal shirt either

Although I've been so drunk when we were really shiite that some stripes looked diagonal, some looked horizontal too depending on how much I had to drink

I like to squint now, and if my eyes get teary and blurred enough I can imagine we're in stripes.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, alanharper said:

We would - and we'd have done bloody well in the UEFA Cup as well. European teams hated the English style hence us winning so many trophies in Europe,  and Wilko took it to the next level.

Doesn't explain this white shirt that you hallucinated though lol

It is quickly becoming my biggest regret...(after my wedding) .....in my entire life that I didn't buy that kit.

There must be someone out there who bought it. Who can back me up and drag me back from this cliff of insanity!

Wonder if anybody's still got a copy of the club shop catalogue from that season, they used to attach it to one of the matchday programmes. I'd go and have a rummage myself but I'm tied up this morning with 3 kids until the Mrs gets in from work later and I can escape to the match.

I'm convinced it would have been a training top or t-shirt design. 

Just now, arithmetic said:

87 pinstripes, twisted on the shop dummy to make the stripes look a bit diagonal, plus your mind reeling from the idea the club would have us playing in anything that horrible? :biggrin:

I'm not sure you could have fitted a clothes dummy in that shop to be honest.  I've got bigger tea mugs! It really was a remarkable thing.

Must have been like the TARDIS inside. I've no idea where they kept the stock.

Mind. Might be onto something there.

Perhaps that shop was a Tardis.....from Earth 3 with the Wednesday away kit of that World.

That's why no one else has seen this shirt.

I'm still sticking with the European theory though.

ARRrrrrrgh!!!

Somebody else must have witnessed it .

Please for the love of God someone else have seen it!!

3 minutes ago, zico.b said:

No, we would have been in Europe for 1986/1987 season, but that was the launch of the purple away kit.

For the 1987/1988 season we launched the pinstriped home shirts.

1988/1989 was the launch of the green and white horrible away kit.

And so on........

It must be the 186/87 European kit then.  There is no other explanation!

Someone out there must have one somewhere.

In a box in a loft.

Someone find it!