Ray Blackhall

1 hour ago, cognacbarnowl said:

I can't recall him to memory. What season(s) did he play for us. Been exiled a long time, genuine question. Musta been early seventies looking at themshort shorts lol 

late 70s ........think retired early and became a policeman .

Joined from the mags in the 78/9 season,came from Big Jacks hometown,Ashington,very solid,and popular with the fans.Played well over a hundred games,think he only scored one goal,it was in the 3-3 draw down at Bristol Rovers,ironically the other fullback,Grant also scored that day as well,it was during our fans ban period after the trouble we caused at Oldham.

He moved on once wilko took over and Sterland came in at RB,joined Mansfield

• Like 1

I think he was injured( a broken leg?) the week before the 1983 semi final at Highbury. He was never the same player after that and we were really playing well at the time - really thought after 16 years and only 1 or 2 5th Round appearances between 1967 & 1983 Brighton were there for the taking!

On 4/25/2018 at 20:53, Colin Dobson said:

I think he was injured( a broken leg?) the week before the 1983 semi final at Highbury. He was never the same player after that and we were really playing well at the time - really thought after 16 years and only 1 or 2 5th Round appearances between 1967 & 1983 Brighton were there for the taking!

You're mixing him up with Ian Bailey who broke his leg at Bolton the week before the semi final and never played for us again; in fact, the injury virtually ended his career.

Blackhall left before the start of that season.