Jon Newsome "There has to be an inquest into the lack of fitness"

1 minute ago, thewookieisdown said:

Sadly, local journalism has been eviscerated in recent years.

It's not that newsome's comments are necessarily wrong. Just that they don't particularly carry any insight.

I'd like to see some proper analyticals on this - in particular how bad really have our injury problems been compared to other clubs'? This season? Last three seasons? Maybe some simple metrics of no of incidences of a player being out for a month; and unit incidents of players missing a game. My hunch is that this would look really bad for us this season, but not stand out several standard deviations away bad; and less bad the previous three. There is a hell of a lot of confirmation bias, inevitably, in what most of us perceive.

That's quite a lot of work and the data will be imperfect. But an intern with fairly basic skills should be able to come up with something in a week.

that would involve some investative journalism and far easier to get some ex pro to come out with a load supposition .........

1 hour ago, F. Spiksley said:

It's already underway though. Jos has been here three months. I doubt he's spent his time sat on his hands when not on the training pitch.

I don't doubt that at all, from what I've seen the fitness etc has improved beyond all recognition and I for one believe that he has turned around a debacle that he inherited from the "Nameless One "

by the way IMO.

Maybe Newsome can give us a bit more insight - in an 11 year career he played 205 league games before retiring through injury at the age of 30. So roughly 18 games per season before finishing around 6 years early. Was it a lack of preparation, bad medical advice, pre-existing weaknesses in his body or some other reason why he missed over half of each season? Bad diet and lifestyle choices?

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

No they don't

The author of every single article gets slated immediately

Have to say that the articles that are generally supportive of the club get a resounding no comment on here, but this week's Newsome and Biggs pieces really are old news as far as fans are concerned.

1 hour ago, jonesy87shef said:

Those saying move on. Forget about it, it doesn’t matter.

Well if you ignore mistakes you’ve made in the past and don’t learn from them you’ll just end up repeating them. 

I feel Jos has and will continue to turn round the mess Carlos left.

Knowing what went wrong, why it went wrong, admitting there was a problem and looking how to improve is the most sensible way to get more out the squad and prevent it happening again.   

You’re correct, of course. But saying we need to have an inquest into it is not exactly a hard hitting point for Newsome to make. 

The inquest began when we sacked Carlos and I’m fairly sure that the new Manager, his staff and DC will have already spent some time trying to understand why the players are so unfit. I really doubt that 4 or 5 months into a severe injury crisis they’ve not thought to wonder why it happened.

But yeah Jon Newsome, let’s have an inquest, what a fantastic idea

3 hours ago, Sonny said:

Bearing in mind we’ve just won three on the bounce, did he have anything positive to say?

He is a true Wednesdayite and he says it as it is, He does have positives to say but the whole issue around fitness is not a new one, if we hadn't won 3 in a row we would all have STILL been moaning. He is saying what his opinion is quite simple really.

23 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Good grief.

In recent weeks Matias, Fox, Clare, Hutchinson have all sustained injuries that have kept them put for weeks.

These are not in any meaningful sense Jos's responsibility.

Good grief.

As I have stateed countless times the hard work is done in pre-season and lets face it for the past 2 seasons we ain't had one just a jolly boys outing and some ball work in Portugal.

The season will take it's toll when the base fitness is next to nothing.

19 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Good grief.

In recent weeks Matias, Fox, Clare, Hutchinson have all sustained injuries that have kept them put for weeks.

Good grief.

GOOD GRIEF!!!

GOOD GRIEF !!!

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, thewookieisdown said:

Good grief.

Good grief.

We are talking about fitness and muscle related injuries,how can it be Jos's responsibility if say for instance he plays a 100% fit player who then goes and breaks his ankle etc this is a physical game and  none  management injuries will occur

3 hours ago, bigdan2003 said:

And bearing in mind on a Saturday he said “the injury situation has been rammed down our throat”

Theres no inquest required. It’s done, and clearly a new method has been implemented. 

Worry not Jon, there will be an enquiry. In a couple of weeks.

16 minutes ago, owls maniac said:

Why has this bang average player who fizzed off to Leeds suddenly been elevated to the principal authority on all things Wednesday?

He hasn't

He's just an ex-player being asked for his opinion

He's played for Sheffield Wednesday countless times, has loads of experience and plenty of contacts so nothing wrong with that

Owlstalk Shop

1 hour ago, @owlstalk said:

Just to clarify Jons comments were a single paragraph in a long article about the upturn in form, goals and victories

it wasn’t meant to ever be some kind of panarama investigation ffs

So you picked out the negative part to get the inevitable reaction?