Gary Megson says Fernando seems to have baggage

Remember his first goal at Hillsborough for Watford. Attacking Leppings Lane end, was fed the ball out near players tunnel. Accelerated away past one player, dummy sold to another. Broke into Penalty area on the left..............Get in !  I thought at the time 'Wish we had a player like him'. Well now we have lets milk it !

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WadsleyOwl said:

If he'd refused to get on the coach to Norwich under Megson he'd have never played for Wednesday again, in fact he'd have ended up in the River Don, instead he got a pay rise.

I'm not a cult member but that's exactly what should have happened

The Ginger Mourhino is basically saying 'great player, Shane he's such a c#*t' and he's right. 

Edited by George

To be fair, baggage, attitudes and egos nearly always come with better players. 

If we ever make it to the Prem, we’re going to need a manager/club that understands that and can handle them effectively.

There is no market I’m aware of that has reasonably priced, super talented, competitive players who always put the team above themselves and aren’t money orientated...

Megson’s approach is that of an emotional fan, which is why it sounds appealing. But it rarely works in modern day football. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hirstyboywonder said:

Who are 'they' in this instance?

The fans who worship the Individual over the team, Newcastle fans for instance seem to be more interested in who wears the number 9 shirt than having a winning team.

The fans who say stupid comments such as " If wasn't for the goals that Dicanio scored we would have gone down", what about the other Goals scored, or the clean sheets the TEAM kept.

That is what I mean, lets not put one player above the TEAM.

13 hours ago, Mr. Tom said:

Knockeart is a very similar player in that regard, and they've both got the work ethic part sorted, but Knockaert has calmed himself down enough to not be on the verge of chucking his toys out the pram every few months - 

Knockeart has been throwing his toys out the pram this season. Strops when subbed off and so on. 

As you say: similar players who need to be somewhat indulged. 

Edited by SiJ
  • Thanks 1

Hopefully he will continue to get his head down, Jos will bring the best out of him and we can have a productive season next year. 

Maybe having a child has calmed him and he will want to stay settled at Wednesday. 

As for Megson he was asked his opinion and he gave it. Personally i don't care for his opinion but he has a right to one as a fellow Owls fan. 

1 hour ago, adelphi1867 said:

The fans who worship the Individual over the team, Newcastle fans for instance seem to be more interested in who wears the number 9 shirt than having a winning team.

The fans who say stupid comments such as " If wasn't for the goals that Dicanio scored we would have gone down", what about the other Goals scored, or the clean sheets the TEAM kept.

That is what I mean, lets not put one player above the TEAM.

Don't think many fans put the individual before the team. 

Yes many fans supported Di Canio, perhaps if the club supported him better then we wouldn't have gone downhill so fast. Some quality players are mavericks and are harder to manage. West Ham seemed to manage Di Canio OK, Carbone didn't seem to cause too much of a fuss before Wilson came in. 

Wilson and the club turned their back on Di Canio, the following season went well thanks to Carbone providing the inspiration in a fairly solid side. The next season Wilson then got rid of Carbone - the 'fancy dans' were gone and so was the inspiration and we were all but relegated by the end of February.

You are right, no one player is bigger than the team but players have different personalities and need to be managed in different ways. We are a better side with FF in the team and importantly it seems as though the squad still value and respect him - if his antics started to rub the rest of the team up the wrong way and he became isolated like Van Hoojidonk at Forest then there is no value in that but it doesn't seem to be the case. 

6 hours ago, TheBoyBeevers said:

To be fair, baggage, attitudes and egos nearly always come with better players. 

If we ever make it to the Prem, we’re going to need a manager/club that understands that and can handle them effectively.

There is no market I’m aware of that has reasonably priced, super talented, competitive players who always put the team above themselves and aren’t money orientated...

Megson’s approach is that of an emotional fan, which is why it sounds appealing. But it rarely works in modern day football. 

I disagree, in fact the opposite is true. If FF was not such a fool, and used his left foot, he'd be in the Premiership but his attitude has held him back

6 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

100%

DiCanio and Cantona being prime examples

For every Di Canio or Cantona there's a Bergkamp or Shearer

He made a mistake and refused to play. But surely what's in the past is in the past right? The very same season he finished top goal scorer again. 

He apologised for that and put a shift in, playing despite needint surgery. What more does he have to do? 

Anyone at the Preston match on Friday could tell you how happy he was to be playing again. He was beaming and full of confidence, a bright grin on his face when he was getting ready for the free kick. This is the FF we want.

He's still wearing our shirt, so we should support him like anybody else at the club.