End of season clear out

On 3.4.2018 at 07:59, Nath83 said:

Probably still too early to be thinking about the end of season changes needed, but couldn’t help myself now I'm sure we're safe.

I reckon we should move out 10 players:
Palmer
Loovens
Fox
Butterfield
Jones
Wallace
Abdi
Matias
Rhodes
Fletcher

In return, I think we need to sign 6:
RB, CB, 2 x LB, a beast in CM & a creative CM.

I think loovens will retire or go back to holland for a relaxing couple of seasons

Fox can go for a smallish fee

If matias is on low wages id keep him

Strikers really depend on who we can bring in before shipping out. Id be fine with keeping em all, bar winnall, but want a nippy striker bringing in.

Palmer id keep

Wallace i think will retire or drop a division or go back to scotland.

Butterfield can get let go

Abdi should go if we can get a fee or let go if jos really doesnt want him

Jones is imo dependent on Hutchisons health

Whats westwoods contract situation? Im starting to worry we're getting towards the end of his time here. Happy with wildsmith and dawson even if he does go.

We need two centre backs. One quality one younger maybe not quite the finished article or season long loan from premier league.

Centre midfielders, probably 2.

2 wingers.

1 speed demon striker, loan from premier league maybe? If we can improve on our other forwards then others can leave accordingly. We are swfc though, we're always short of goalscoring strikers

49 minutes ago, OneDavidHirst said:

I would happily drive Fox, Abdi and especially Matias to whichever club will have them. Just got a new motor so it would be fun, distance isn't a problem. I'd even drive them to China and pay for the fuel myself. It would be my pleasure.

What kind of motor did you get ODH ??

13 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Cor, you don’t want much. 

I will look up starts at some point. But even games played shows fitness. 

FF 6267 minutes (= to 70 games)

Hooper 6000 mins (67 games)

Fletcher 5679 mins (64 games)

Hutch 5538 mins (62 games)

Taken over the last 3 seasons. Unfortunately three of the four players have had their “least fit” season this season:-

FF 539 mins (6 games)

Fletch 1146 mins (13 games)

Hutch 181 mins (2 matches)

Hooper 2020 mins (23 games)

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

FF 6267 minutes (= to 70 games)

Hooper 6000 mins (67 games)

Fletcher 5679 mins (64 games)

Hutch 5538 mins (62 games)

Contrast 

Reach 12200 mins 

Thats equivalent to playing more than 45 full matches in each of the last 3 seasons. 

This lad provides value for money!

23 hours ago, beloved_aunt said:

To be fair, I never said he was a goal machine in seasons gone past, just that his previous record was always better than Nuhiu's until a few matches ago. 

And I'm right.  If Fletch has been 1 in 4 in the past Nuhiu has been lower.  He's scored 26 goals in 170 Champs games (just 15%), 21 in 107 Austrian League games (1 in 5 roughly) and 2 in 28 in the Turkish top flight.

So my point - that if Jos's style can get career best figures out of Nuhiu, then he might also be able to coax similar out of a more talented player in Fletcher - still stands.

Fair enough, Beloved Aunt, but I suspect that Fletcher's best goal scoring days are behind him and that like a lot of our older players that arrived already carrying injury problems, he came here knowing that we would probably be his last big wage payers rather than the club he last scored a dozen plus goals for, but we will have to see. 

If I get enough time I would like to put a table together showing how much players cost and get paid against games played, goals scored, assists, points earned etc just to see which players are most and least effective £/goals and £/points. I know it doesn't prove anything at all but it may show a trend towards certain types of player not being cost effective. It does feel as though, from what we are told by the club and the press, the older higher wage earners are playing far less games and contributing far less than the younger players generally. that was the scenario that set us up for dropping out of the top flight, not a scenario for getting promoted into it. It just seems as though we keep making the same mistakes over and over again and it is costing us money, goals and points.

I really hope that we can move a lot of the higher earning players out of the club, because they are not getting any younger and that appears to be exactly what we need. Us fans have noticed over the past couple of seasons that the overall fitness and stamina of our teams have been below par and that we struggle against hard working teams. Hopefully with recent wins over teams like Preston and Sunderland, who both had plenty to fight for, we may have turned the corner. I would like to see us continue that trend by having a slightly smaller, but fitter squad and you cannot do that with 10 players who are 30 plus in your squad unless they are ultra fit.

3 hours ago, Ante's Bubbly said:

If I get enough time I would like to put a table together showing how much players cost and get paid against games played, goals scored, assists, points earned etc just to see which players are most and least effective £/goals and £/points.

That would be an interesting read,providing the figures for "fees paid,wages paid" are an accurate reflection,not guesswork.

On 05/04/2018 at 16:12, Ante's Bubbly said:

If I get enough time I would like to put a table together showing how much players cost and get paid against games played, goals scored, assists, points earned etc just to see which players are most and least effective £/goals and £/points. I know it doesn't prove anything at all but it may show a trend towards certain types of player not being cost effective. It does feel as though, from what we are told by the club and the press, the older higher wage earners are playing far less games and contributing far less than the younger players generally. 

On 05/04/2018 at 19:48, BARMYARMY2010 said:

That would be an interesting read,providing the figures for "fees paid,wages paid" are an accurate reflection,not guesswork.

I did this one long snow-bound afternoon recently.

Matias - £25,000 cost per minute played

Abdi - £6,000 cost per minute

Forestieri - £1,300 per minute

Fletch - £1,100 per minute

Reach - zilch per minute

Bannan - £400 profit per minute

Assumptions are 

Actual minutes played over two seasons

Profit or loss if sold at the end of this season.

FF sold for 7m

Reach sold for 8m

Bannan sold for 5m

No proceeds for Matias, Fletch or Abdi

Fletch and FF 35kpw

Reach 30kpw

Bannan 25kpw

Abdi 20kpw

Matias 15kpw

• Like 2

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:40, room0035 said:

This depends if we get an embargo for the FFP breach this summer or in January. Let say this summer is a normal transfer window for us.

We don't resign Loovens, Pudil, Wallace, Kean.

We try and resign Clare and Hirst if not take what ever offer we get as they are under 24 we are due something and offer Nuihu a 2 year deal.

We have too many strikers and central midfielders, Buttercup goes back, we off load Jones as to often not been good enough, Hutch look spent but I would offer him a player coaching role with the emphasis on coaching if he could coach his heart and passion into the team they would be the best in the league. Winnall does not want to be here so if we can get upwards of £2.5m that will be good business. Fletcher another that has glass ankles and is always injured and he was a free so getting rid will not damage the accounts. I would look to loan Rhodes out for the first part of the season to get him play regular football and hopefully scoring goals then look to sell with his stock rising.

The problems are the never going to be players Abdi, Matias - high earners who can sit on the behind for the next 12 months and take £50k+ from the club if we could offload these on frees it would save us £2.5m a season just in salaries. 

Fox, Palmer not of the standard we need to be sold to who ever we can. 

Of the players left the likes of O'Grady, Penney, Neilson, Dawson, Preston need loaning out for the season to aid their development but we need clauses in the deals that they have to play say 25 games in the season or there is penalty clauses we have had players go out on loan in the past there has been management changes and they don't get played see Stobbs and Penney this season as examples of this.

Now recruitment

We need 2 Left backs I would look for a good younger player like James at Wigan or Williams from Blackburn I see some Radar in him and a Premiership loan such as Galloway at Everton.

We need a first choice right back if Hunt is not up to the bill and depending if Reading are relegated I would love to see us get Gunter in, the best right back in the league even with a struggling team and an improvement on what we have.

We need a central midfielder and I have been impressed with Dowell this season at Forest on loan from Everton, Maybe if Hirst goes there we could use it to get a few of their good youngsters on loan for the season.

We then need to sort the issue with right wing. For me he has been frozen out at Wolves and will be available for a reduced fee but he has shown on loan at Millwall he is very good in this league - but as soon as I say Ben Marshall people will thing its because he used to play for us. We need a right winger who provides goal opportunity and he has done this his whole career as well as scoring as well.

Then the only new recruits we get is like for like if we get a great offer for players we have.

We need to renegotiate new deals for Westwood, Joao, Reach to tie them to longer deals so if we get any offers we can up the price, not to mention we don't have the issues like we have had with Hirst.

Statistics on whoscored.com say otherwise... here's a list of 10 of the worst 11 right backs in the league. (Ranked 1-51 according to their average weekly rating - this is numbers 41-50). I wouldn't argue with most of these being in there (including Palmer); don't see why Gunter's place here should be anomalous.

right backs.png

6 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I did this one long snow-bound afternoon recently.

Matias - £25,000 cost per minute played

Abdi - £6,000 cost per minute

Forestieri - £1,300 per minute

Fletch - £1,100 per minute

Reach - zilch per minute

Bannan - £400 profit per minute

Assumptions are 

Actual minutes played over two seasons

Profit or loss if sold at the end of this season.

FF sold for 7m

Reach sold for 8m

Bannan sold for 5m

No proceeds for Matias, Fletch or Abdi

Fletch and FF 35kpw

Reach 30kpw

Bannan 25kpw

Abdi 20kpw

Matias 15kpw

Are those "figures" irrefutable figures or owlstalk figures ?

• Haha 1

On 04/04/2018 at 22:56, OneDavidHirst said:

I would happily drive Fox, Abdi and especially Matias to whichever club will have them. Just got a new motor so it would be fun, distance isn't a problem. I'd even drive them to China and pay for the fuel myself. It would be my pleasure.

Why drive them Let the fookers walk. They have had enough freebies whilst at S6

On 4/7/2018 at 11:22, davetherivelinowl said:

Statistics on whoscored.com say otherwise... here's a list of 10 of the worst 11 right backs in the league. (Ranked 1-51 according to their average weekly rating - this is numbers 41-50). I wouldn't argue with most of these being in there (including Palmer); don't see why Gunter's place here should be anomalous.

right backs.png

The same player the season before was classed as the best player in Wales and also one who has an excellent injury record.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/remarkable-numbers-prove-welshman-chris-13119023 

Stat can basically say what ever you want but the long and short of it is Chris Gunter would be an improvement on what we currently have and unlike hunt he can defend and unlike Palmer he does get a nose bleed when he gets over the half way line and add to that he will be able to play the whole season not half of it.