End of season clear out

Reality check. Here’s how many games our “crocks” have played in the last 3 seasons:-

Fletch 97

Forestieri 83

Hooper 75

Hutch 75

Fletcher in particular gets a raw deal from posters. The way he battles and batters it’s hardly surprising he gets hurt. Moreover, unlike many a modern player, including some of our own I’m sure, he plays thru pain and heavy knocks.

Forestieri gets off unscathed on here. Despite only having one season in his career where he has been a regular few ever mention his availibility record.

All four of these very good players have their issues, but why Fletch is written-off I don’t get. Each needs infinitely better management than they got here over the past two seasons. 

Edited by Holmowl
  • Thanks 2

Guest Bulgaria
On 03/04/2018 at 09:02, james o connor said:

Agreed but that is football manager stuff. In reality who in their right mind is going to want to take on abdi , Matias , fletcher etc where their injury records ? 

Sheffield Wednesday?

1 hour ago, AndersonOWL said:

Id keep fletcher from the list and rest can go, tbh sick of all the wage parasites in our team

Of which Fletcher is probably the biggest one

Absolutely no chance of getting rid, because he won't get an offer bigger than what he's currently got anywhere else

We're stuck with him for another two years

You can probably tell he's not my favourite player

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

On 03/04/2018 at 06:59, Nath83 said:

Probably still too early to be thinking about the end of season changes needed, but couldn’t help myself now I'm sure we're safe.

I reckon we should move out 10 players:
Palmer
Loovens
Fox
Butterfield
Jones
Wallace
Abdi
Matias
Rhodes
Fletcher

In return, I think we need to sign 6:
RB, CB, 2 x LB, a beast in CM & a creative CM.

how many of those are at the end of their contracts?

how many would be looking at a move that would pay them less IF they left hillsborough?

who is going to pay fletcher and rhodes what they're getting here?

it's not championship manager you know, you can't just will something, and it happens. 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2018 at 09:05, matthefish2002 said:

To get some players like Abdi, Matias and Fletcher off the wage bill we will have to be a bit creative.

Have to offer them a generous golden handshake to go or offer to pay wages for another club to take them on loan with a view to a full transfer.
Even then its doubtful we will be able to shift them.

Depending on FFP (or whatever they call it) we might have to sacrifice a player to bring someone in.

whose paying the 'golden handshakes'?

whatever the club has to fork out is money it cannot spend re-ffp, or the chairman's pockets.

we'd have to sell a BIG player to pay off the 'golden handshakes', then another IF we wanted to bring someone in.

so who can we get money on? ff, reach, bannan? perhaps westwood, hooper? we're very unlikely to get big money for players that haven't played for half a season.

5 minutes ago, dnhc said:

whatever the club has to fork out is money it cannot spend re-ffp, or the chairman's pockets.

we'd have to sell a BIG player to pay off the 'golden handshakes', then another IF we wanted to bring someone in.

so who can we get money on? ff, reach, bannan? perhaps westwood, hooper? we're very unlikely to get big money for players that haven't played for half a season.

There is one club that pays out big fees for players even when they've been out of the first team for a while

Oh hang on, that's us.

Fans get too attached to players. If possible, and it’s obviously not, I’d clear the vast majority out. 

Fail to see how a squad that has failed 3 times, and is now older and more suceptable to injuries, will improve, and get over the line next season. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dnhc said:

Think the Golden handshakes will have to be something like paying Fletcher 50% of his contract just to go.
You are right far from ideal but might be a way to release some funds to buy some younger and hungrier players.

Interesting thinking about which players other teams would actually want.

Fletcher - I wouldn't mind keeping him as a backup striker, he causes problems. But agreed, if we did sell him, it wouldn't be the worst decision in the world.

Who would buy him? - I reckon a team like Rangers would give you 1/2 million for him and could afford his wages.

Matias - Fed up of him giving us hope with his cameo appearances only to injure himself again and not play for another 3 months.

Who would buy him? - We probably wouldn't get an awful lot for him and I can imagine him going back to Portugal for the warm weather. I would imagine it'll be an 'undisclosed' fee. (in other words 100k)

Palmer - Hasn't been good enough for years, Hunt is miles better. AND although i'm a fan of Hunt, I would imagine we'll be looking for a new first choice right back in the summer, so bye bye Palmer.

Who would buy him? - His level is League 1 and he's still got a number of years ahead of him, so any League 1 team wanting to challenge for the play offs.

Fox - He frustrates me so much, he quite simply doesn't have the skills we need for a left back. No pace, no fight. But I can see Jos keeping him as a backup.

Who would buy him? - Again a league 1 club.

Abdi - Same as Matias, get him out of the club. Stealing a wage.

Who would buy him? -  Hopefully a club from China or the MLS, they'll pay his big wages.

Rhodes - Time to admit it's not going to work for him, and luckily because of his record another Championship club would still pay money for him.

Who would buy him? - Ipswich, go back to his first team and finish his career there. We'd get 3/4 million for him.

Loovens & Wallace - IF we manage to get rid of the all the above, I'd keep these 2 as backups, just so were not breaking up the team completely.

2 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

There is one club that pays out big fees for players even when they've been out of the first team for a while

Oh hang on, that's us.

could WE buy them off ourselves for a huge fee, whilst signing them on a low wage?

quick someone nip out and buy a championship manager

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

Think the Golden handshakes will have to be something like paying Fletcher 50% of his contract just to go.
You are right far from ideal but might be a way to release some funds to buy some younger and hungrier players.

is that just over £2m for fletcher's wage alone?

10 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

Interesting thinking about which players other teams would actually want.

Fletcher - I wouldn't mind keeping him as a backup striker, he causes problems. But agreed, if we did sell him, it wouldn't be the worst decision in the world.

Who would buy him? - I reckon a team like Rangers would give you 1/2 million for him and could afford his wages. 

Matias - Fed up of him giving us hope with his cameo appearances only to injure himself again and not play for another 3 months.

Who would buy him? - We probably wouldn't get an awful lot for him and I can imagine him going back to Portugal for the warm weather. I would imagine it'll be an 'undisclosed' fee. (in other words 100k)

Palmer - Hasn't been good enough for years, Hunt is miles better. AND although i'm a fan of Hunt, I would imagine we'll be looking for a new first choice right back in the summer, so bye bye Palmer.

Who would buy him? - His level is League 1 and he's still got a number of years ahead of him, so any League 1 team wanting to challenge for the play offs.

Fox - He frustrates me so much, he quite simply doesn't have the skills we need for a left back. No pace, no fight. But I can see Jos keeping him as a backup.

Who would buy him? - Again a league 1 club.

Abdi - Same as Matias, get him out of the club. Stealing a wage.

Who would buy him? -  Hopefully a club from China or the MLS, they'll pay his big wages.

Rhodes - Time to admit it's not going to work for him, and luckily because of his record another Championship club would still pay money for him.

Who would buy him? - Ipswich, go back to his first team and finish his career there. We'd get 3/4 million for him.

Loovens & Wallace - IF we manage to get rid of the all the above, I'd keep these 2 as backups, just so were not breaking up the team completely.

Rangers are skint, we're stuck with Fletcher till his contract runs out

No one will pay Matias' wages never mind a fee, we're stuck with him til his contract runs out

Palmer won't get a better deal anywhere else, we're stuck with him til his contract runs out

Fox won't get a better deal anywhere else, we're stuck with him til his contract runs out

Abdi won't get a better deal anywhere else, we're stuck with him until his contract runs out

Rhodes is a difficult one, we bought him over a 4 year deal, where we pay Middlesborough 2 million per year, if we sell him, then we have to pay Middlesborough 6 million (the remainder of the fee we owe) But a buying club will want to pay the buying fee over the length of the contract, so for instance, say we sell him for 4 million and he signs a 4 year deal, the buying club will want to spread the fee over 4 years, 1 million a year, but we are then faced with a 6 million bill which becomes payable immediately to Middlesborough, if Rhodes goes anywhere, it will be on loan.

Loovens and Wallace will both be released, Loovens has been a good servant but his legs are going, keeping him would be wasting a wage. I like Wallace, but releasing him would free up another wage

Of the 4 players coming out of contract, Loovens, Wallace, Pudil and Nuhiu, I think the only one with a chance of staying is Nuhiu.

On ‎03‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 08:07, BRADDO said:

Can't argue with that. Maybe keep Fletcher and release Winnall as I think bridges have been burnt there.

Eh? Winnall is one of the few players with any resell value...and probably the only one we'd actually make a good profit on.

1 hour ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Rangers are skint, we're stuck with Fletcher till his contract runs out

No one will pay Matias' wages never mind a fee, we're stuck with him til his contract runs out

Palmer won't get a better deal anywhere else, we're stuck with him til his contract runs out

Fox won't get a better deal anywhere else, we're stuck with him til his contract runs out

Abdi won't get a better deal anywhere else, we're stuck with him until his contract runs out

Rhodes is a difficult one, we bought him over a 4 year deal, where we pay Middlesborough 2 million per year, if we sell him, then we have to pay Middlesborough 6 million (the remainder of the fee we owe) But a buying club will want to pay the buying fee over the length of the contract, so for instance, say we sell him for 4 million and he signs a 4 year deal, the buying club will want to spread the fee over 4 years, 1 million a year, but we are then faced with a 6 million bill which becomes payable immediately to Middlesborough, if Rhodes goes anywhere, it will be on loan.

Loovens and Wallace will both be released, Loovens has been a good servant but his legs are going, keeping him would be wasting a wage. I like Wallace, but releasing him would free up another wage

Of the 4 players coming out of contract, Loovens, Wallace, Pudil and Nuhiu, I think the only one with a chance of staying is Nuhiu.

But that is assuming none of them want to take a wage cut and play football elsewhere? and also assuming how much they're actually on.

2 hours ago, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

Of which Fletcher is probably the biggest one

Absolutely no chance of getting rid, because he won't get an offer bigger than what he's currently got anywhere else

We're stuck with him for another two years

You can probably tell he's not my favourite player

Thought it was a "wow" signing at the time tho yeh? 

14 minutes ago, Mr Hooper said:

But that is assuming none of them want to take a wage cut and play football elsewhere? and also assuming how much they're actually on.

Would you go to a new job on less money?