I have to smile when people criticise Joao’s ball control.

He has fantastic ball control for a big guy. Controls a lot of balls that go to him and makes a mess of some as well, mainly because he is trying to turn or run with it before he has got hold of it.

If you want him to spend the whole game with his back to goal knocking the ball square or back then fine. That wilI make his life a lot easier, but I don’t.

I want to see him continuing to try to take the ball on the turn, trying to take people on , trying to knock the ball past defenders as they close him down rather than taking the easy option.

He will make mistakes and lose the ball sometimes but when he doesn’t he frightens them to death.

Edited by oldishowl
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

He has fantastic ball control for a big guy. Controls a lot of balls that go to him and makes a mess of some as well, mainly because he is trying to turn or run with it before he has got hold of it.

If you want him to spend the whole game with his back to goal knocking the ball square or back then fine. That wilI make his life a lot easier, but I don’t.

I want to see him continuing to try take the ball on the turn, trying to take people on , trying to knock the ball past defenders as they close him down. 

He will make mistakes and lose the ball sometimes but when he doesn’t he frightens them to death.

Our fans love a player who can lay a ball off 10 yards with his back to goal. Amazing link up play apparently 

:duntmatter:

On 02/04/2018 at 17:27, Not Jon Newsome said:

We need to keep hold of this lad big time, he's a complete forward, can do absolutely everything. You don't get capped by Portugal at a young age if you're a mug. I can see some Premier League interest coming in during the summer, still only 24....

Extend his contract.

I would start next season with Joao and Nuhiu up top. Things can only get better for them.

Bizarre its taken a Dutchman who learned his Managerial trade in Germany to make a very English striking partnership out of a Kosovan and a Portugueser (I've deliberately added the r as "a Portuguese" doesn't sound right)

lol

54 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I want to see him continuing to try to take the ball on the turn, trying to take people on , trying to knock the ball past defenders as they close him down rather than taking the easy option.

He's getting more closely marked mate.. it's noticeable as he plays more.

He's getting a name for himself.

WTF!?

3 hours ago, mattitheowl said:

Where was the assist?  It was a blocked shot that fell to Nuhiu.

It was his shot, saved on the goal line that fell to Nuhiu. Plenty of stats compilers will count that as an assist.

On 02/04/2018 at 17:27, Not Jon Newsome said:

We need to keep hold of this lad big time, he's a complete forward, can do absolutely everything. You don't get capped by Portugal at a young age if you're a mug. I can see some Premier League interest coming in during the summer, still only 24....

Extend his contract.

Im sure his form all boils down to confidence.  With Rhodes struggling and our other forwards injured this has created an opportunity for Joao to both needed and appreciated. Fair play to the lad for taking his chance.  Hopefully the return of our more established strikers won’t affect his form.

Its pretty obvious he has all the i qualities to become a top striker; he just needs to believe in himself.

I actually don't think he played all that well on Monday (his hold up play was ok but his passing was not great) so what was especially pleasing was that despite the fact he was not firing on all cylinders he took his goal brilliantly and also helped with the third by forcing a good save from the keeper. the more he plays the more confident he gets.. my fear is that he  loses confidence and goes back in his shell if there is competition from Hoops and Fletch and he is not  a first choice (which he is at the moment )

Joao will be sound next season. A summer on the weights, a contract extension, a dozen goals next term bolted on!

Don't think Fletch will be back just mho, am totally baffled with Rhodes , Winnall & Hoops have a long hard journey back to fitness.

Joao will be the man !!!

On 4/2/2018 at 11:27, Not Jon Newsome said:

Extend his contract.

Him and Nuhiu.  

the only blessing from all our injurys is Jos has no choice but to play nuhiu and joao,and it's been a blessing for them and the club.

up to Christmas if have said both would have had no future at our club ,now it looks like they are our future.

On 02/04/2018 at 17:35, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Terribly mismanaged by Carlos imo. Never played to his strengths and often wouldn't play him even when he'd performed well the week before. 

Confidence was shot to pieces.

This is spot on, shameful how badly he's been managed in his time here. In the first season it was almost like he was punished for his success (stealing the limelight from Carlos?).

Great to see him turning in a consistent run under a manager that knows what to do with players who aren't 30+ years old.

We're going to need at least four strikers if we want to have a run at promotion next season and keep playing this formation.

I'd love to see Forestieri in the hole ahead of two midfielders and linking with two strikers (where Reach played on Monday and could be his back up when required) which would mean keeping Joao, Dave, Fletcher and Hooper to compete for the front two positions.  Those are good options and you need that many when play 50+ games a season.