8 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

Sorry but as usual our fans are fickle. Can people not be realistic? 

The facts are, he is extremely talented but in his 3 years here so far he's only shown this in two fairly short spells in year 1 and now in year 3. I believe he is a good player no doubt. But he's also shown he's completely useless at times. So, what do you do? He's probably not going to make it much higher than this level unless he can be doing it in 35+ games a season and not just 10 games. To be fair it's probably the same for many strikers at this level. 

Thats not what’s happening though is it.

Everyone agrees that he has ability and everyone has said that all along.

Everyone has said if we can get him to be consistent he’ll be some player

Hes now starting to be consistently good.

In a world where Gary Madine can go for 6m, I would imagine another 3 or 4 goals before the end of the season would lead to bids of serious cash

20 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

The facts are, he is extremely talented but in his 3 years here so far he's only shown this in two fairly short spells in year 1 and now in year 3. I believe he is a good player no doubt. But he's also shown he's completely useless at times. So, what do you do? He's probably not going to make it much higher than this level unless he can be doing it in 35+ games a season and not just 10 games. To be fair it's probably the same for many strikers at this level. 

Joao is finally starting to show some consistency - what’s helped is we finally have a manager who believes in him, uses him properly and is starting to unlock his potential.

I’d have been tempted to shift him under normal circs but he deserves another season under JL as a result of his latent efforts.

The change in Joao has been substantial. He is now much fitter his positional playis much better and he is being played wherehe can domost damage. We are also passing to him where he wants the ball. his confidence has grown and he is finding net regularly.

The same applies with Nuhiu. He always played with passion and commitment and gave his all. He now seems to have added a yard of pace and at times his close control as been first class. his form is better than atany tme at the club and looks a handful for any defence.

This is an enormous achievement and getting these two playinghas saved club from possible relegation.

17 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

You say he's got everything has he really ?

His second touch is usually a tackle its abysmal 

He's a talent definitely and is in terrific form but reign it in a bit fella 

I disagree I think he's got an excellent first touch and how quick he can move his feet for a big lad is amazing. I've always claimed him to be our most complete forward and glad he's starting to live up to it.

45 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

That R word cropping up again. Drives me mad :duntmatter:

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
1 minute ago, Not Jon Newsome said:

I disagree I think he's got an excellent first touch and how quick he can move his feet for a big lad is amazing. I've always claimed him to be our most complete forward and glad he's starting to live up to it.

He's also forging a formidable partnership with his big mate too.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Tom said:

Hooper, Joao, Nuhiu, Forestieri - that's basically all the forwards you'd ever really need, isn't it? Any combination of those four is pretty much a defender's worst nightmare, at least in theory.

Concentrate on strengthening our fullbacks and midfield ball retention, trim the squad of anyone who isn't 1st choice/1st choice cover or a promising youngster, and we're in pretty good shape IMO.

Not much else needed besides a proper preseason and vaguely normal luck with injuries.

Hooper-FF is an awful combination. Bizarre but true.

That said, maybe Jos can work some magic with those two in tandem. Lets be honest, not one of us saw Atdhe-Lucas being Shearer-Sutton reincarnate.

Huge credit to Jos.

Edited by Holmowl
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, swfc1983 said:

I understand that point of view to a degree but surely you can only go on current form. Or do you keep plugging away on a misfiring striker like Rhodes because his past record is good? Also Joao is only 24 so you have to expect some inconsistent performances for his first few years in a new league, country and culture? Not saying he’s the finished article but you’d rather back him to become that showing his current form then write him off I’d think.

Both Joao and Nuhiu are benefiting from getting the ball played forward more quickly.  

When we knocked it across the back four for 10 minutes before getting it forward all of the strikers were tightly marked giving them no space to work in.

1 minute ago, Southie_Owl said:

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a club like Cardiff make a bid in the summer, maybe with madine in exchange - as there’s no way he is premier league standard 

Christ that would be the worst swap in history, swap a complete forward for a one trick pony. Hope you are wrong!

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Hooper-FF is an awful combination. Bizarre but true.

That said, maybe Jos can work some magic with those two in tandem. Lets be honest, not one of us saw Atdhe-Lucas being Shearer-Sutton reincarnate.

So awful it got us to the playoff final.

3 minutes ago, DobbinTheDonkey said:

So awful it got us to the playoff final.

It didnt. Look back at the results and line-ups. 

But let’s not go there. The main point is that perhaps Jos can get strikers working well together, as he has with the unlikely duo of Joao-Nuhiu. Hooper and FF are truly outstanding forwards and goal-scorers, and if Jos fancies them as a pairing and gets them firing in tandem then happy days.

Edited by Holmowl

Living c.260 miles away I seldom see the Owls live. But looking at the recent highlights and pics and thinking back a couple of seasons, Joao currently looks to be thoroughly enjoying playing and being part of the team. Previously he often looked (IMHO) as if he didn't really want to be here.

Long may his current attitude continue.

He has always been a real talent, now he’s added consistency It must have been galling to be left out of the side, while we persisted with Rhodes, who did absolutely nothing Hopefully those days are looking by gone

Edited by gurujuan

1 minute ago, Holmowl said:

It didnt. Look back at the results and line-ups. 

But let’s not go there. The main point is that perhaps Jos can get strikers working well together, as he has with the unlikely duo of Joao-Nuhiu. Hooper and FF are truly outstanding forwards and goal-scorers, and if Jos fancies them as a pairing and gets them firing in tandem then happy days.

Adthe was a big player in that play off season, so glad he's finally getting the recognition he deserves.