Naah then Colin!!

5 hours ago, TommyCraig said:

Some Owls never cease to amaze me. Reading this thread, it sounds like a good fair few of you would like Colin as our manager. That's very disappointing. I'm not going to question your intelligence but I am going to question your character.

It's not win at all costs, this life, you know. Or it shouldn't be. We're not Aussie cricketers.

I think of you SWFC Colin lovers as The Chamberlain's. We that would never see that man grace our South stand as the home manager are The Churchill's.

Unless you're trolling, then it's ok.

And here's another cliché for you - opinions are like arseholes...everyone's got one etcetera etcetera

The flip side of your argument is that people like me, the ones you label as of questionable character, just don't get people like you, who, shall we say, would metaphorically cut off their nose to spite their face.

It's easy this in group-out group labelling thing isn't it?...to extend your wartime analogy Hilter certainly used it to great effect (please don't take that as me saying you are "just like Hitler" as I would never stoop so low...despite being so obviously Chamberlain-like myself).

With regards to your statement about belonging to a group not defining your intelligence I agree. Although I will say this - one girl/woman I used to know in my teens/twenties was the most extreme example of a person who would cut off her nose to spite her face I have ever known. Although obviously intelligent, she was, because of her "character", beyond doubt the most stupid person I have ever met.

4 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I've no doubt you're right.

When Mandy wanted to bring him in, one bloke rang up RS and said that the sight of him made him feel sick.

Now Colin's no oil painting - never has been - but I thought that saying such a thing was stronging it a bit.

As for me, I'd set Captain Blade on if he'd get us up. lol

All I'm bothered about is the club getting it's thieving hands on that £150 million prize money, or however much it is.

You see, I see it for what it is.

It's all about money, and players and managers solely care about their pockets.

And thats a fair point...

For me it's not whether he'd get us up, it's the risk of it going pear shaped with all the ensuing fallout..then another half a season wasted in our progress..

Also the back to life, back to reality quotes from the Colin-istas don't quite match my view of how football fans see things at tribal ground level...Eg that hard nosed business approach could also suggest that Sheffield as a city cannot compete successfully and consistently with two teams..and that there should only be one..AND I AM  NOT REPEAT NOT PROPOSING THAT IDEA ! merely  a debating point albeit an exaggerated one..to show that somethings are just so deep rooted in a fans identity with its club..that they are unthinkable and unworkable rational or not......for some of the Owls I know, it's that heavy..

16 minutes ago, Southside Owl said:

And thats a fair point...

For me it's not whether he'd get us up, it's the risk of it going pear shaped with all the ensuing fallout..then another half a season wasted in our progress..

Also the back to life, back to reality quotes from the Colin-istas don't quite match my view of how football fans see things at tribal ground level...Eg that hard nosed business approach could also suggest that Sheffield as a city cannot compete successfully and consistently with two teams..and that there should only be one..AND I AM  NOT REPEAT NOT PROPOSING THAT IDEA ! merely  a debating point albeit an exaggerated one..to show that somethings are just so deep rooted in a fans identity with its club..that they are unthinkable and unworkable rational or not......for some of the Owls I know, it's that heavy..

I actually agree with you, I just find it sad and strange that fans can get so upset about someone that they dont know personally (not that it matters), yet carry such hatred for that it would get in the way of the success of a club which is based on results.

We dont win prizes as a club for well dressed managers, politeness, sporting behaviour or good manners. 

2 hours ago, Owl At Risk said:

And here's another cliché for you - opinions are like arseholes...everyone's got one etcetera etcetera

The flip side of your argument is that people like me, the ones you label as of questionable character, just don't get people like you, who, shall we say, would metaphorically cut off their nose to spite their face.

It's easy this in group-out group labelling thing isn't it?...to extend your wartime analogy Hilter certainly used it to great effect (please don't take that as me saying you are "just like Hitler" as I would never stoop so low...despite being so obviously Chamberlain-like myself).

With regards to your statement about belonging to a group not defining your intelligence I agree. Although I will say this - one girl/woman I used to know in my teens/twenties was the most extreme example of a person who would cut off her nose to spite her face I have ever known. Although obviously intelligent, she was, because of her "character", beyond doubt the most stupid person I have ever met.

I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face but Neil Warnock - Wednesday manager, give over. You can probably give good reasons why but still, give over. He hates us and most of us hate him and he's proved he carries a grudge for a long time. Shouldn't even be discussing it. Give our Jos a chance.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

I wouldn't cut off my nose to spite my face but Neil Warnock - Wednesday manager, give over. You can probably give good reasons why but still, give over. He hates us and most of us hate him and he's proved he carries a grudge for a long time. Shouldn't even be discussing it. Give our Jos a chance.

I dont think he hates us at all. Just says what he has to at the time.

Some of our fans hate him though. Jos will get a chance, he deserves it, I quite like the guy. Hopefully he will do the business next season

Don't think he's changed his opinion since then.

The 61-year-old once quipped that if he was ever manager of Wednesday he would try to engineer their relegation.

"I would buy some bad players, get the sack and then retire to Cornwall," said the Sheffield-born Warnock.

36 minutes ago, billyblack said:

I actually agree with you, I just find it sad and strange that fans can get so upset about someone that they dont know personally (not that it matters), yet carry such hatred for that it would get in the way of the success of a club which is based on results.

We dont win prizes as a club for well dressed managers, politeness, sporting behaviour or good manners. 

Too true , I know a bloke (Owl) who I consider to be one of the most fair-minded, non opioniated..loveliest persons on earth kinda thing.. but minute you mention N.W. being at S6 to him..wooomphh,. !!! You wish you hadn't mentioned him.

Weird innit..? 

And by the way thats not Jordan Rhodes !

Now there's a thought , would Colin had got the best out of Rhodes ?

Oh sugar I think I need to go and rest, ...

For me the argument is not that I don’t want him even though he would get us promoted. It’s he would be less likely to get us promoted due to the likely division it would cause in the fan base. 

It should also not be forgotten that when this conversation was first raised it was after he had failed at Leeds rather than his success at Rotherham and Cardiff. 

51 minutes ago, TommyCraig said:

It will never happen because he's British.

But does he hate us?

It's an act.

He's a WUM, and he antagonizes fans all over the country.

I think he probably hates McCabe more than he hates us.

He'd have enjoyed that equalizer last night.

Getting us up would top his career.

And I really don't think he'd lose a wink of sleep over doing it.

34 minutes ago, Southside Owl said:

Too true , I know a bloke (Owl) who I consider to be one of the most fair-minded, non opioniated..loveliest persons on earth kinda thing.. but minute you mention N.W. being at S6 to him..wooomphh,. !!! You wish you hadn't mentioned him.

Weird innit..? 

And by the way thats not Jordan Rhodes !

Now there's a thought , would Colin had got the best out of Rhodes ?

Oh sugar I think I need to go and rest, ...

When Jonesy was sacked we looked dead and buried, but some fans would rather our go down to the Third than set Colin on.

As it turned out, Gray saved us against all odds anyway, but it tells you something about the mindset of some of our fans. lol

1 hour ago, Ever the pessimist said:

For me the argument is not that I don’t want him even though he would get us promoted. It’s he would be less likely to get us promoted due to the likely division it would cause in the fan base. 

It should also not be forgotten that when this conversation was first raised it was after he had failed at Leeds rather than his success at Rotherham and Cardiff. 

I do agree with the top part of this unfortunately

1 hour ago, Hookowl said:

Don't think he's changed his opinion since then.

The 61-year-old once quipped that if he was ever manager of Wednesday he would try to engineer their relegation.

"I would buy some bad players, get the sack and then retire to Cornwall," said the Sheffield-born Warnock.

Im sure thats exactly what he would do if employed yes

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

It will never happen because he's British.

But does he hate us?

It's an act.

He's a WUM, and he antagonizes fans all over the country.

I think he probably hates McCabe more than he hates us.

He'd have enjoyed that equalizer last night.

Getting us up would top his career.

And I really don't think he'd lose a wink of sleep over doing it.

Col is the best wum in the world no question, a real character in today's mostly characterless football world.

He managed the dark side and dissed the massive over and over again...he can fooook off and be a great character at Barcelona, I don't give a foook, don't want him here.

1 hour ago, billyblack said:

Im sure thats exactly what he would do if employed yes

I think Colin would do the opposite.

After promotion he'd say that it took a Blade and a former United manager to finally get us up.

I think he'd revel in dividing the fan base.

And he'd be saying to McCabe, in the words of the late, great Jim Bowen "Just lewk at what you could 'ave won!".

I don't like him, but I think there's a very good chance that had he been set on, then we wouldn't now be languishing in the lower reaches of the Championship.

I just can't put any individual before the club's fortunes.

6 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I think Colin would do the opposite.

After promotion he'd say that it took a Blade and a former United manager to finally get us up.

I think he'd revel in dividing the fan base.

And he'd be saying to McCabe, in the words of the late, great Jim Bowen "Just lewk at what you could 'ave won!".

I don't like him, but I think there's a very good chance that had he been set on, then we wouldn't now be languishing in the lower reaches of the Championship.

I just can't put any individual before the club's fortunes.

My thoughts exactly. Since the overseas influx of managers the game is lacking the banter and character we used to get when we had mainly british managers. Big Ron, Big Jack, Brian Clough to name a few. Colin is the last of a dying breed of managers with personality. You either love him or hate him and he just revels in it. Personally I take everything he says with a pinch of salt and see the funny side of it.

3 minutes ago, Mountain Owl said:

My thoughts exactly. Since the overseas influx of managers the game is lacking the banter and character we used to get when we had mainly british managers. Big Ron, Big Jack, Brian Clough to name a few. Colin is the last of a dying breed of managers with personality. You either love him or hate him and he just revels in it. Personally I take everything he says with a pinch of salt and see the funny side of it.

There's nothing he likes more than a reception party when he arrives at Hillsborough.

He thrives on controversy.

It's like when he snatched the mike off Wagner and said he was going to tell him how to beat Wednesday.

He'd needn't have bothered.

We were perfectly capable of engineering our own defeat without his help, thanks very much. 

EVO.PNG