Much better from Pelupessy

I thought he did well today and broke up a lot of their play through the middle. Needs to be quicker in his thought process when he has the ball. It can't be easy for him when playing with different midfield partners week after week. He'll get better yet.

3 hours ago, cowl said:

I've not been impressed with him since his arrival, but that second half performance was more like the type I was lead to expect from him.

I hope he's finally getting to grips with the pace of the league and that he can push on from here.

It's far easier to come to a new team, in a new country and league where they're playing well, with confidence and have their best players fit and firing and settle in quickly and at the start of a season. The difference was joey came in mid season and was thrust straight into a low on confidence side with a massive amount of their best players out long term, reserves and kids from the under 23 unfit and in free fall almost in the league hardly able to fluke a win. I think the lad was always in for a tough time and a hiding to nothing as our only January signing to stop the rot and help us get back on track,  not so easy to find your feet in the situation joey found himself in. I think the lad will prove to be a good player for us and as he gets more of our better players around him and fit he'll be up to speed and ready for next season. 

3 hours ago, cowl said:

I've not been impressed with him since his arrival, but that second half performance was more like the type I was lead to expect from him.

I hope he's finally getting to grips with the pace of the league and that he can push on from here.

Good post. Pretty much sums up where I'm at with him too.

Still a long way from convinced, but certainly an improved performance today.

Guest Arcadianrocket

He's a passenger. Although he did play better in the second half like the OP stated.

Not good enough though currently. Let's see 10 games into next season.

I thought he was pretty decent up at leeds,playing along side Hutch willl accelerate his education,you can learn lots from the way Hutch plays the game.

Thought he did ok today,showed a bit of grit and determination,@ times the game passes him by and he needs to get involved,english footballs obviously a lot quicker than what hes played in.

He needs to down a few beers and have an extra yorkshire pudding as well

3 hours ago, Greengrass said:

Still not convinced, games just seem to pass him by, however, much prefer him to Jones / Butterfield.

100% Agree, much better second half, passenger first half, may have been uncertain if his role next to Hutch and his presence, Second half much better needed to get on with it and he did  good response.

He definitely hides a bit and doesn’t show for the ball when he thinks he might receive it in a tight area. He also doesn’t seem that confident playing little one twos and getting the team further up pitch. When both him and hutch were playing it was crying out for one of them to get a bit higher up, the two of them were doing what Pearson was doing on his own and led to us being outnumbered in some key areas.

Having said that, I think he’s starting to read the game better and make some vital interceptions. He also fills in well when one of the wingbacks are caught up field. Hopefully we’ll discover the championship version of Kante next season, we can only dream!

15 hours ago, thatladfromchap said:

Won some important headers in the middle of the park and in his own 3rd today. Very good, understated performance. Not too disimilar from a certain Mr. Lopez in his approach play.

Lopez's footballing brain was a step ahead of most players on the pitch before he even received the ball, the awareness he had for the people around him was exceptional, he was an excellent player. 

I don't think Joey is in his league to be honest, but I also don't think he is the same kind of player so it is an odd comparison. 

You don't really notice Joey much in games at the minute, hopefully next season he'll have settled in and he can show his worth. He does seem a very positive and confident chap which is certainly something we need in the dressing room. 

17 hours ago, Ronio said:

Pelupessy will turn out to be a cracking signing for us imo. 

Played very well today.  

I think he is still adjusting to the league, and fair play to him, he was thrown into the deep end.  

Much more to come from Pessy.

great vid ,but i'm still wondering how Hertha can be sponsored by Greenfields our local spa shop , lol

Edited by trevdi9
  • Haha 1

On the whole, he's been very disappointing so far, in my opinion. Far too often games pass him by, and in the position he plays, that can't happen as often as it does. Yesterday, in the 1st half, our 4 man midfield, was dominated by Preston's two man midfield, and Pelupessy's and Hutchinson's inability to affect the game was a direct consequence of that. That was partly down to the fact, they both played too deep, but neither could have any affect on the game. 

What's disappointed me the most from him, is his ability in possession. He makes Semedo look composed! For a player coming from the Dutch league, which is suppose to be highly technical, if not very physical, he's poor. In possession, David Jones is a much better option. 

HOWEVER...

I appreciate he's new to the league, and he's really struggled to adapt quickly. Add to that, he's come into the side at a time when we've been on our arse as a squad. We've literally had to just get through games to get to the point we are now. Not an ideal scenario for a player to bed himself into a new country, culture and league standard. 

What I will say for him though, is when we tend to play well, Pelupessy does. Or is it the other way round? In the home game against Derby, he played well, and in the 2nd half yesterday, his performance improved as drastically as the team's did. 

So, there's potential there and he has shown glimpses of improvement. But, I don't think his performance have yet met the standard that Jones set when Jos first came in, which were impressive (I'm not comparing Jones' performances under Carlos in that). And I'm sure he'll have the opportunity between now and the end of the season to try and continue that potential improvement. But we do need more from him. 

For me, his best periods of play have come when we've played on the front foot. His strength without doubt, is anticipation and ability to nip in front and break things up. When we contain and kept our shape, the game seems to bypass him. 

He's going to be part of our squad going forward, and I hope he can make the step up...I'm just not convinced he's the answer in the midfield. But he's a good age, and there's still time for him to prove himself to be a key squad member. 

He has definitely had some better performances in recent weeks but he is far from the 'answer' in the middle of the park. A few times yesterday he mis-read the game when diving in to try and intercept passes and left his man goal side striding at our defence. Thankfully they did not offer too much going forward on the day.

Still hopeful as we all are, however if we had a bigger pot to wee wee in next season I would look to strengthen.