which regretfully threw down an unfortunate

and unsuccessful marker for the  2017/18

campaign.

Hope the good lady is well and not making

too many demands on you with her perverse

behaviour.

Edited by Davetherave

Terrific Snoots, and very touching.

You raise several aposite questions about our returning stars. I think Jos arguably got the best tune out of our depleted troops by his 352, but whether it will suit Bannan and FF is another thing.

I think we will win today. I see Forestieri coming off the bench and scoring. Never will he have been more motivated to play and shine.

2-1 FF Nuhiu

Wednesday 1-1 PNE

PNE to take the lead through Barkhuizen and Wednesday to level it up around the 75th minute through Bannan. 

On a side note, interesting to hear Alex Neil’s thoughts on us underperforming. https://www.lep.co.uk/sport/football/preston-north-end/preston-boss-alex-neil-thinks-sheffield-wednesday-came-to-the-end-of-a-cycle-1-9088672/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 1

I wonder if Jos will have taken the opportunity provided by the international break and the returning players to drill the players in his preferred system. 4 at the back and 2 sitting defensive mids. It would make sense with Hutch and Pelupessy fit.

Welcome back Lord Snooty. I'm sure that we can't have beat Leeds just because you did not do the OMDT.   I respect your resolute defiance of superstitious thinking. As it is said in the amazing song by Mr Wonder: "Superstition ain't the way, no, no, no".  Still I suppose the only concern is that at some point a body of evidence grows and the data increasingly shows that it is no longer a superstitious belief, but a proven fact.  So good luck with results for the rest of the season! 

Thank god players are returning.  I had been a bit disillusioned with Fernando last season, but I want to see him back on the pitch now and I recognise his brilliance.

• Like 1

Snoots is back in town again - thanks to Chuck Norris for extracting our MIA OMDT OPer...

I have one thing to say today.

F*CK OFF BEN PEARSON.

oh and,

COME ON WEDNESDAY....

Edited by Flat Owl
  • Like 1

Up the Owls and up the Snoots!!

Not literally of course, that would be weird. 

Welcome back Lordy and we're gonna win tonight 2-0. A header from hutch and a Reach piledriver. Nando will be a delightful magicial presence once more and when we see a Cruyff flick from Dave the Easter weekend will be complete

Edited by gazzamk2
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Lord Snooty said:

Wednesday - V - Preston

No automatic alt text available.

Bit of a predicament I find myself in.  I was away and found myself stranded in L**ds on the weekend of our last win unable to access Owlstalk. We then go on to grab a fantastic result. 
So it is with some reluctance that I find myself here doing the OMDT.  Maybe Ipswich was my Huddersfield moment. The time to step aside and let a fresh face come forward and take the mantle.  After-all the most important thing is that the team gets results, and if that means that some people have to fall on their swords to make it happen, myself included, then that is what needs to happen.  

But... still there is that part of me that says “I can do this! I’m just having a bad run." The results can’t be blamed on me and my musings. The players have to take some responsibility surely!

And besides which, we now have some of our best players welcomed back to the fore. Lees, Hutchinson , Bannan and Fernando.  What a boost. Our best centre half. Our toughest tackling midfield player, our tempo dictating midfield dwarf and our mercurial forward who can make a goal from a half chance.

Is it ego I wonder to myself. Or am I genuinely thinking too much about it. My man Stubbs suggests I over think. That I am a prisoner to the shackles of the football supporter...superstition ...but then he would say that. For it was he that had the unenviable task of taking my whistling under crackers to be laundered after our long 1990/91 cup run. Though by that stage they could have probably taken themselves.   

Match facts

• The Owls have won their last three home league matches against Preston, last tasting defeat against them at Hillsborough in October 2009.

That's nearly a decade! The omens are surely stacked in our favour! 

• Preston have not completed a league double over Sheffield Wednesday since the 2001/02 season.

Now that really is over a decade. Sixteen years. Blimey we were only taking our first infant steps into the new millennium back then!

• Atdhe Nuhiu has had a hand in 56% of Sheffield Wednesday's 16 goals under manager Jos Luhukay in all competitions (six goals, three assists).

56%. FIFTY SIX PERCENT! The mans our lucky totem! If only he who shall not be named had had the balls to play him against Hull instead of the oft tried and oft unsuccessful FF/GH forward pairing! But I digress. And must not have any negativity (even if I cannot be punished with negs) for our omnipotent leader says we must be positive! 

And stats say with Big Atty leading the line we will be positive and so will be the result!

• Only leaders Wolves (37) have won more away Championship points than Preston this season (32).

Nothing to see here.

• The Owls have conceded the most 90th minute goals in the Championship this season (six).

Good heavens get this removed. If Herr Hargreaves sees it I'll never be allowed the OMDT again!!

• Sean Maguire has had a hand in eight goals in his last seven league matches for Preston (seven goals, one assist), scoring in each of his last four.

A good run. Superb comeback from the chap too. Especially after being out of the game so long. Who can forget the terrible leg break he suffered after falling off the roof of Arthur Fowlers motor whilst off his head on a cocktail of drugs and tequila whilst he was playing for Walford Town. Just shows that with hard work and clean living you can indeed get back in the game.

Aidan-hobo.jpg

In other news. Fernando is fit again! Champing at bit and ready to roll. Jos says he will be involved. But when and how? 

From the bench surely? Not only because he's been out so long. But the two lads up top are surely deserving of keeping their places. Not least the big man who, even not accounting for the goals was superb against L**ds.

The other question is where would he play anyway in this system. It would surely have to be at centre forward. And that's a debate that has been done to death.

I , and I think many others aren't convinced it's his best role. But maybe....coming from the bench, hyped up and after his lay off and against tiring legs it might be the the best place to give him a cameo. Facing the KOP with 25 minutes to go...

Could only end a dream couldn't it..

Featured Image

There are other questions to be asked.  We can debate how well Pelupessy is settling in. But I think a greater question is whether we will need two sitting players at home?  Is it more likely that we have Hutchinson patrolling infront of the defence like a Lion that has been caged and starved and is ready to savage something? 

Wouldn't Bannan make more sense in a home fixture where we are more likely to dominate possession? 

And if he does then what of Reach?  Will Jos play them both in more advanced roles ahead of Hutchinson? Will they get in each others way? Or will they instead unleash a fury on Preston, a whirling squall of attacking football. A Tsunami of runners supporting the front pair? 

Or perhaps Reach will be shifted (as many want) to the Left Wing back position. A role I am regularly assured he is ideally suited too. (Prefer wing backs who can tackle myself and I'm still unsure we have one on the books..but that's just IMO) 

Will Boyd retain his spot.  Will Pelupessy. 

We all want our best players in the team. Have longed for it. Though it's something that was oft used as a stick to bash the previous manager with. 

It's a funny old game, as Jimmy Greaves never said.  

No automatic alt text available.

To end I'd like to send my condolences to the family of  Steve Lee. . Someone I saw many times over the years and who I got to know. 

We came from different worlds but had Wednesday in common. Plain talking and honest. Wednesday through and through.

"Yer not still going on that Owlstalk wi all the other nutters?" he'd always ask when I saw him.  "Yes. I am" I'd say. And he'd shake his head at me. 

Steve  I'm sure you'll be looking down and shaking your head even more today because I'm here again with the nutters and  I'm dedicating this one to you!!  RIP Bigman.    

COME ON WEDNESDAY!

Bannan and Reach WILL unleash a fury on Preston, a whirling squall of attacking football. A Tsunami of runners supporting the front pair.

In Jos we Trust

:luhukay:

Snoots out. He's got to go. So what if he did the best ever OMDT's on Owlstalk for years . None of our other recent  OMDT's posters had that amount of money available for expensive education,fine wine ,travel broadening the mind etc etc.

Thought he should have gone with the Burton farce. 

Half our fan base is in denial clapping away, liking and upvoting.  We are going nowhere  though with the OMDT as Snoots just drags us down to  League one. 

He was great in that first season and we all had new hope with his incisive wit and  humorous mocking of our opponents  but now its got predictable and people have worked us out. He should have got some new jokes in after that first season. Everyone could see we were crying out for pacy Englishman Scotsman Irishman jokes and some huge beast of a blue offensive anti semitic belly laugh in the centre of the OP. 

I loved Snoots when he came in (and we'll never get to the bottom of whether he has complete control over his material or whether its done by committee behind the scenes) but he needs to go now. 

:biggrin:

Edited by I'm an Essex Owl
  • Haha 5

A very good morning to you all, especially mi’lud who roared back into his rightful place atop the OMDT with a corker of an OP.

I’m very pleased to report that today I return to Hillsborough after a fair old absence. This makes me happy of course, but the rest of you ought to be afraid - I’ve journeyed down to Hillsborough 8 times this season and I’m yet to see us win. That being said, I've got a 100% record in away games, so it may cheer you to know I’m heading to Sunderland on Monday. 

Anyway, Lord S has summed up all the tactical ins and outs better than I ever could, so I shall defer to his splendid judgement. Allow me to simply say that it’s bloody great to be heading South safe in the knowledge that I might actually see something approaching a first team turning out for us. Let’s be honest, who doesn’t look forward to watching Sam Hutchinson take the field in the blue and white?

COME ON WEDNESDAY!!!

No score prediction, I’m always over-optimistic and wrong.

Edited by Groundhopping Owl
  • Like 1