Mick McCarthy

19 hours ago, poite said:

I know and with that fiver he was given to spend over the last couple of seasons he should have had them in the champions league! 

I wonder why clubs are reluctant/or dont give big Mick any money to spend.  If he is that good then giving him a few bob might have just got them all over the line. But he didn't did he. 

29 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

I wonder why clubs are reluctant/or dont give big Mick any money to spend.  If he is that good then giving him a few bob might have just got them all over the line. But he didn't did he. 

If they don't have the money, they don't have the money.

Bit like saying "why are you driving around in fiat panda? Why don't you spend some cash and buy a range rover?"

Edited by poite

16 minutes ago, poite said:

Bit like saying "why are you driving around in fiat panda? Why don't you spend some cash and buy a range rover?"

On the other hand it might be a bit like your boss saying "your new company car is a fiat panda cos l don't trust you in a Range Rover". :rolleyes:

47 minutes ago, CLswfc said:

So clubs are employing a bloke but refuse to give him cash because he will waste it....... Reyt 

22 hours ago, alanharper said:

I'd have him here for sure.

DC won't go for him and he'll end up at somewhere like Leeds or WBA.

Absolutely right.

He's not foreign.

If Jostle goes, we'll end  with another foreigner who's no experience of this league.

17 minutes ago, Hughthecone said:

Newcastle,Huddersfield have foreign managers and that didn't stop them getting promoted also Chris Hughton was an Irish international.

Newcastle had a premier league squad and then spent over £50m signing premier league players to help with their promotion push, they also had a champions league and premier league winning foreign manager, and he had worked in English football for a long time. So I don’t feel they are the best example

Of the 39 club’s who have been promoted from the championship, 33 have had British managers. Clearly it’s not a fact that you can only get promoted with british managers, but I would simply say their better knowledge and understanding of the league gives you a better chance. It’s probably why the clubs battling promotion this season have the likes of Warnock, Bruce, Pulis, Rowett, Johnson, O’neil As manager, and they haven’t gone for the obscure foreign manager route. 

Lets hope like Wagner at Huddersfield, it does pay off for us to have Jos here.  

1 hour ago, poite said:

If he is that good why would he go to clubs who haven't a pot to pi** in then. Anyway, not heard of Ipwich having wolves at the door. 

1 hour ago, Justbeanz said:

On the other hand it might be a bit like your boss saying "your new company car is a fiat panda cos l don't trust you in a Range Rover". :rolleyes:

This^^^^^^

54 minutes ago, Hughthecone said:

Newcastle,Huddersfield have foreign managers and that didn't stop them getting promoted also Chris Hughton was an Irish international.

indeed. Fulham also have an excellent overseas manager. We had an overseas manager who did well for two seasons. "british manager" who knows this league" is not as gloriously stupid as "knows the club and what it means to the fans". But it's pretty dumb...

32 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Newcastle had a premier league squad and then spent over £50m signing premier league players to help with their promotion push, they also had a champions league and premier league winning foreign manager, and he had worked in English football for a long time. So I don’t feel they are the best example

Of the 39 club’s who have been promoted from the championship, 33 have had British managers. Clearly it’s not a fact that you can only get promoted with british managers, but I would simply say their better knowledge and understanding of the league gives you a better chance. It’s probably why the clubs battling promotion this season have the likes of Warnock, Bruce, Pulis, Rowett, Johnson, O’neil As manager, and they haven’t gone for the obscure foreign manager route. 

Lets hope like Wagner at Huddersfield, it does pay off for us to have Jos here.  

100% this. 

Those suggesting carlos as an example of foreign managers doing well might forget he actually failed to get promoted and has crippled our squad due to ignoring the slog that is the championship battle

Its no surprise that clubs the likes of Swansea, Brighton and Leicester tried getting promoted with foreign managers but in the end got the success with british ones

3 hours ago, CLswfc said:

Or on the other hand, why don't clubs that do have money to spend employ Mick ?

Benitez managed Real Madrid, as well as the Pewl and Chewsea.

The Magpies had got the advantage of having he best players in the division

Huddersfield just got lucky.

If Hooper had been fit, they'd have lost in the semis IMO.

Hughton had already played and managed in this country, all his footballing career.

Those three cannot possibly be likened to Carlos and Jos.

I'm beginning to think that, being an outsider, Chansiri wants an outsider as a manager.

It smacks of insecurity, a bit like Francis signing up his mates ... and not signing players like Cantona.

Edited by Athelwulf

19 hours ago, S36 OWL said:

No , Derby had the lowest points total in the prem .

My bad!!! Was it second or third worst? At least he's done a great job with Ipswich though. Can't wait to get him to Hillsborough, I only hope we don't have to fight off a load of other top teams to get him, I'm sure there will be a queue.

17 hours ago, Mishowl said:

You are aware we are not a Premier League team?

Most definitely, I'm just thinking ahead with big thick Mick at the helm. It could be a battle too get him with all the other top teams queuing up for him. Ipswich are mad letting talent like Mick leave, especially after all those years of errr. . . . . .

7 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

Nope that was Derby not managed by MM. 

Check your list. 

Was he the manager who managed the team to relegation with the second or third lowest points total? I'm sure I remember hearing about it somewhere, possibly Sky Sports back in the day. Anywho, I'm sure Mick will be a hit at Hillsborough, he's achieved so much with Ipswich in the last few years we would be mad not to be interested. I can almost smell the glory that Mick would bring, at least I think that's glory?!?!?!?

• Haha 1