who attended this game

51 minutes ago, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Just about right there Mate..

But that's not Tommo.

Player at number 4 is  Grahame Pugh 

2 is indeed Rodrigues think that's Colin Prophet nearest Pele and Deffo Sunley in the distance...

As well as Pele- Carlos Alberto & Edu turned up for the game (well they were there!!)

Yes Grahame Pugh good call.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, watty said:

Me and a few more from Thrybergh High School , all of us in headmasters office next day as he'd warned everyone in the school not to attend or else , we thought fk it and went anyway , happy days , what an experience being on a full east bank when we were young it didn't get any better than that . 

the miserable c***, our headmaster just asked me 'how did HE play', i don't think he had john holsgrove in mind.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

Think half the schoolkids in Sheffield, me included, bunked off school that day.

As torry said it was a poor game and Pele just seemed to stroll around. Remember their first goal was a clearance from our goalie which rebounded in off the ar5e of one of their players and Wednesday trying a corner routine which was probably the best move of the match but Joicey (I think) shot just wide.

fulham had kicked f*** outa him in the last game thinking it was the world cup final, it was touch and go if he played or not, i thought he played with stitches in, i think we agreed not to tackle him in exchange for him turning out, went off early if my memory is correct.

9 hours ago, OxonOwl said:

We got the afternoon off school if we had a note from our parents.

I didn't and got the stick.

11 hours ago, torryowl said:

sadly me.a bore fest of a game . ...the only redeeming feature was that the  best player I've ever seen swapped  shirts with pele .

Tommy Craig, he was having that shirt off him from the kick off. Fastest he moved all day was to run to Pele at the end. 

I remember this as the game which almost put me off football. It was a friendly, played with as little enthusiasm as a flat pint. To think that this was supposedly the mighty Pele'.

He was obviously well past his best, and the game was nowhere near as exciting or appealing as the FIRST time Santos played Wednesday   in October of 1962. The final result of 2-4 didn't do an injustice to Owls who played their hearts out and dealt with the threat of Pele as well as anyone had done. This was Wednesday team that was not unused to playing Continental football against the like of Barcelona, Inter Milan, and Tblisi Dynamo in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, a competition that, despite it being the idea of, among others , Eric Taylor, and to which they had been invited that season, only to have the FA & FL interfere, to nominate their own and hene reduce England's contribution from 3 teams to 1. 

13 hours ago, torryowl said:

sadly me.a bore fest of a game . ...the only redeeming feature was that the  best player I've ever seen swapped  shirts with pele .

Did you stop going then after that game?..........just kidding mate, opinions & all that....Tommy was a great player in a poor side but considering the players we've had since then calling him the best player you've ever seen is a MASSIVE statement.

1 hour ago, qantas said:

Did you stop going then after that game?..........just kidding mate, opinions & all that....Tommy was a great player in a poor side but considering the players we've had since then calling him the best player you've ever seen is a MASSIVE statement.

when your younger your hero's are gods and tommo was mine ......when hirsty , waddle ,nilsson etc etc  were in there prime I was considerably older and to me they were just very  good players .

On 28/03/2018 at 20:23, Buxtongent said:

I remember this as the game which almost put me off football. It was a friendly, played with as little enthusiasm as a flat pint. To think that this was supposedly the mighty Pele'.

He was obviously well past his best, and the game was nowhere near as exciting or appealing as the FIRST time Santos played Wednesday   in October of 1962. The final result of 2-4 didn't do an injustice to Owls who played their hearts out and dealt with the threat of Pele as well as anyone had done. This was Wednesday team that was not unused to playing Continental football against the like of Barcelona, Inter Milan, and Tblisi Dynamo in the Inter Cities Fairs Cup, a competition that, despite it being the idea of, among others , Eric Taylor, and to which they had been invited that season, only to have the FA & FL interfere, to nominate their own and hene reduce England's contribution from 3 teams to 1. 

TBH i find it hard to say that edson arantes do nascimento was the best player in the world in that era, BUT IF he wasn't who was? beckenbauer?, bobby charlton?, gerd muller?, jairzinho?.

at this time it was only 2 years since he had been the attacking hub of the best side on the face of the planet in mexico 70, his vision with his attempt against czechoslovakia was at that time unknown of.

he was a very good player, very good indeed, in the hillsborough game he was playing with stitches in having been kicked from pillar to post by a shabby fulham outfit that were playing in their own world cup final and came close to ruining the hillsborough game due to his non appearance, i think there was a 'gentleman's agreement' in place that he would turn out, and we wouldn't put a 'foot in', and our players treat him like he had the plague.

On 28/03/2018 at 16:23, OWLERTON GHOST said:

Just about right there Mate..

But that's not Tommo.

Player at number 4 is  Grahame Pugh 

2 is indeed Rodrigues think that's Colin Prophet nearest Pele and Deffo Sunley in the distance...

As well as Pele- Carlos Alberto & Edu turned up for the game (well they were there!!)

On 28/03/2018 at 14:16, Z Wiso said:

Who are the Wednesday players in the picture? I reckon David Sunley in the background, Colin Prophet and Tommo about to tackle Pele and could number 2 be Peter Rodrigues, they're my guess any way.

On 28/03/2018 at 17:16, Z Wiso said:

Yes Grahame Pugh good call.

i figure he's correct with tommo, he'd not leave his side all day, and be guaranteed NOT to get a tackle in. pugh was a much wilder lookin' beastie at that time.

6 minutes ago, dnhc said:

i figure he's correct with tommo, he'd not leave his side all day, and be guaranteed NOT to get a tackle in. pugh was a much wilder lookin' beastie at that time.

Tommo didn't play ....

Will check programme when I get home Number 4 Pugh.... 

Game on ....UTO....

Edited by OWLERTON GHOST

On 28/03/2018 at 20:23, Buxtongent said:

now from memory the early years of the 'intercity fairs cup' was actually between cities, didn't birmingham and london enter for england?