Sheffield Wednesday team 1974/75

2 hours ago, owls maniac said:

That's an unbelievable statistic when you think about it. Surely the players couldn't have been THAT bad?

In all fairness, they weren't THAT bad. They were a helluva lot WORSE!

You really had to be there at the time to see it and understand. That season and the following one we simply had the worst team in our entire history by a country mile!

21 hours ago, Albertowl said:

I'd take TC, Potts, Mullen and Clements today

Really? Potts and Mullen were good div 3 players, maybe poor div 2 but nothing better although Potts had the occasional good day.

TC was obviously class and Clements was decent....built like a tank and took no prisoners

1 minute ago, Bramhall Owl said:

Really? Potts and Mullen were good div 3 players, maybe poor div 2 but nothing better although Potts had the occasional good day.

TC was obviously class and Clements was decent....built like a tank and took no prisoners

I'd have Potts any day, he knows how to smuggle illicit food in difficult situations!

• Haha 1

This was the team I used to waste good money on. Fortunately, by September 1974 I was off to College and spared the pain of having to watch them all season. By the time I’d finished college I think Big Jack had taken over and prospects were a bit brighter. :duntmatter:

46 minutes ago, Bramhall Owl said:

I personally could never understand what people saw in Mullen.I can only think it’s cos he just appeared a bit more committed than some of the others. Which wasn’t hard In that team 

Did a lot of running around to no purpose. A bit like Colin Symm on speed 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Uncle Mort AMB said:

I can remember Peter Fox playing , but not the Paterson fellow.

I can't recall him either, remember Fox making his debut aged about 16, think he broke a toe as well. Also recall a goalkeeper called Neil Ramsbottom around that time. 

It was the best of times it was the worst of times.

Great stripes, brilliant haircuts, defiant fans, heroic failures - loved all those guys then and would buy them all a pint now if I met 'em. (In fact saw Hugh Dowd last year - offered - but he already had one - phew)

Strange that a team with players like TC EP PR etc should have misfired so badly - Remember the York and Man U games like yesterday - knew we were doomed when McMordie preferred Boro reserves to playing for us. UTO! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ibbo48 said:

For me it would be Craig and Rodrigues.

Both Potts and Joicey were decent on their day.

Unfortunately I think Eustace was past it by then. He was never the class player that left to go to West Ham.

I would agree with your verdict on Eustace Ibbo. Still a pleasure to see the odd glimpses of class though. Joicey was a 100 per center. I remember a goal he scored against Fulham when he booted the ball up in the air about 40' and it dropped out of the sky and behind one bemused goalie - Mellor? into the badly guarded net :)

I Liked Potts too but my favourite about that time was wee Willie Henderson.

39 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

I personally could never understand what people saw in Mullen.I can only think it’s cos he just appeared a bit more committed than some of the others. Which wasn’t hard In that team 

Did a lot of running around to no purpose. A bit like Colin Symm on speed 

Yep, an honest trier.......we've had plenty of those in our time....and for some reason our fan base likes them 'because they give 100%' as though that makes up for their lack of basic skill.

However, I do remember Mullen scoring an absolute screamer at Millmoor in the promotion season season under big Jack

4 minutes ago, Treborowl said:

I would agree with your verdict on Eustace Ibbo. Still a pleasure to see the odd glimpses of class though. Joicey was a 100 per center. I remember a goal he scored against Fulham when he booted the ball up in the air about 40' and it dropped out of the sky and behind one bemused goalie - Mellor? into the badly guarded net :)

I Liked Potts too but my favourite about that time was wee Willie Henderson.

I think thats what upset me about Eustace, mate. He was such a classy, elegant player in his prime and it was sad to see him lose that. 

Had a lot of time for Joicey like you. He always put himself about and scored some decent goals.

Willie though? What a character. In the twilight of his career but could still do magic

1 minute ago, Ibbo48 said:

I think thats what upset me about Eustace, mate. He was such a classy, elegant player in his prime and it was sad to see him lose that. 

Had a lot of time for Joicey like you. He always put himself about and scored some decent goals.

Willie though? What a character. In the twilight of his career but could still do magic

Not great days but certainly memorable. I even used to watch the reserves at that time. A school friend of mine who also used to watch those games married a promising full back name of Danny Cameron. Some of us lads went to their reception and I stood side by side with Allan Thomson in the gents. I didn't look...

2 hours ago, bradowl said:

I can't recall him either, remember Fox making his debut aged about 16, think he broke a toe as well. Also recall a goalkeeper called Neil Ramsbottom around that time. 

In October 1973, after 44 games for Glentoran and still just 19, Paterson was signed by Sheffield Wednesday of the English Second Division. After a year-and-a-half as back-up at Hillsborough he signed for “Sleepy-Sligo Rovers”

4 hours ago, Treborowl said:

Not great days but certainly memorable. I even used to watch the reserves at that time. A school friend of mine who also used to watch those games married a promising full back name of Danny Cameron. Some of us lads went to their reception and I stood side by side with Allan Thomson in the gents. I didn't look...

Yep, I used to do all the reserve matches and under 18s too. There were some decent players amongst them who never made the grade. Cameron was a good player at reserve level but couldn’t make that step up. Byron, Musson, Cusack and Hall were regulars I think. The stand out player was Rodger Wylde of course.

• Thanks 1

Guest LittleG

I thought TC's claim to fame was that he was the first 100k teenager transferred from a Scottish to an English club

17 minutes ago, Ibbo48 said:

Yep, I used to do all the reserve matches and under 18s too. There were some decent players amongst them who never made the grade. Cameron was a good player at reserve level but couldn’t make that step up. Byron, Musson, Cusack and Hall were regulars I think. The stand out player was Rodger Wylde of course.

Of course!!!!

15 hours ago, Treborowl said:

So you knew Linda too? Iwad at the wedding also we most likley know each other.