Sheffield Wednesday team 1974/75

We went from december 14 to the 19th of april waiting for a home goal.

there was the odd touches of irony that season,the leading goalscorer played only 9 games,but turned down a permanent move,we battled bravely against table topping man utd at hillsboro and lead 3-1 at one stage,and at highflying chelsea in the fa cup,we lead 2-0 with 15 minutes left.....alas along came mickey droy.

Crap season

3 hours ago, Buxtongent said:

Certainly take Tommy Craig. The only other one I would take as a player was the Coach -Gerry Young.

the day they sold him was the day relegation was confirmed ......Eustace was decent in his salad days , potts was a good player....it wernt a great squad but they shouldn't have been as bad as they were but burtenshaw didn't have clue and once tommo left the same time as mcmordie went back to boro what little fight they had just disappeared . 

I recall well the Oldham game that season,it came a week after that brilliant performance at home to man utd.I went to the game full of confidence from the previous weeks showing,if we played the same again wed murder Oldham.

By halftime all that enthusiasm had evaporated,we played cack,salvaged a draw courtesy of bobby brown,thered been 35K there the previous week,13500 turned up for this game,I was on the leppings lane that day,leaving the ground on the final whistle I pretty much knew we werent good enough to stay up

Rodrigues was a decent right back, we let him go to Southampton on a free and 12 months later captained them to win FA Cup. 

Letting Tommy Craig go to Newcastle was another big mistake along with not signing Eric McMordie permanently. 

1 hour ago, bradowl said:

Rodrigues was a decent right back, we let him go to Southampton on a free and 12 months later captained them to win FA Cup. 

Letting Tommy Craig go to Newcastle was another big mistake along with not signing Eric McMordie permanently. 

The move was inevitable we had crippling debts,wed been mis managed for years and incomming managers were forced to play youth players to cap the wage bill and could only bring in freebies.

Wed lacked financial clout from the late 60s onwards,after the 68/9 season the board began to panick at the mounting debt,a 50K offer from Notts Forest for McCalliog was only voted down by the chairmans standing vote,which unsettled the player,who felt hed the right to be informed,and subsequently Mac had a poor run of games and asked for a move,that was turned down.

3 hours ago, legendaryswan said:

The move was inevitable we had crippling debts,wed been mis managed for years and incomming managers were forced to play youth players to cap the wage bill and could only bring in freebies.

Wed lacked financial clout from the late 60s onwards,after the 68/9 season the board began to panick at the mounting debt,a 50K offer from Notts Forest for McCalliog was only voted down by the chairmans standing vote,which unsettled the player,who felt hed the right to be informed,and subsequently Mac had a poor run of games and asked for a move,that was turned down.

McCalliog also ended up in that Southampton side so got his winners medal 10 years too late!

16 hours ago, DJMortimer said:

Our top scorer played only 9 games that season !

Eric McMordie was on loan from Middlesbrough and scored 6 times. Tommy Craig was next with 4.

After the famous 4-4 draw with Manchester United in early December, we scored only 5 goals in the remaining 21 games.

That's an unbelievable statistic when you think about it. Surely the players couldn't have been THAT bad?

When McMordie was with us we actually looked a half decent team. He played nine games with us of which we won three, drew three and lost three.....nine points. When you consider that we only took 12 points in the remaining 33 when he wasn't with us you can see why we wanted to sign him on a permanent.

I particularly remember the 3-3 draw at Notts County in Nov 1974 which came straight after what was to be our best win of the season....3-0 at home to York. McMordie was brilliant in the first half and scored; how we ended up only one ahead at the interval will remain a mystery. Then, about five minutes into the second half they got a penalty and Ian Scanlon scored. Two minutes and 45 seconds later, in typical Wednesday fashion, they were 3-1 up and Scanlon had one of the fastest hat tricks in history. But we didn't give up; Eric Potts pulled one back with a shot from way out and about five minutes from the end it was McMordie, inevitably, who grabbed the equaliser. A terrific game and come back.

We lost both McMordie and Tommo after the Oldham game in December and after that we never really had a prayer. We won one more game, and scored four more goals all season. 

Edited by fredmciverslovechild

2 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

When McMordie was with us we actually looked a half decent team. He played nine games with us of which we won three, drew three and lost three.....nine points. When you consider that we only took 12 points in the remaining 33 when he wasn't with us you can see why we wanted to sign him on a permanent.

I particularly remember the 3-3 draw at Notts County in Nov 1974 which came straight after what was to be our best win of the season....3-0 at home to York. McMordie was brilliant in the first half and scored; how we ended up only one ahead at the interval will remain a mystery. Then, about five minutes into the second half they got a penalty and Ian Scanlon scored. Two minutes and 45 seconds later, in typical Wednesday fashion, they were 3-1 up and Scanlon had one of the fastest hat tricks in history. But we didn't give up; Eric Potts pulled one back with a shot from way out and about five minutes from the end it was McMordie, inevitably, who grabbed the equaliser. A terrific game and come back.

We lost both McMordie and Tommo after the Oldham game in December and after that we never really had a prayer. We won one more game, and scored four more goals all season. 

Cheers for that , been trying to remember the County player who scored that record breaking hat trick .

Another memory of that season , was playing Norwich at home in April in a blizzard a 70's version of the beast from the east.

55 minutes ago, fredmciverslovechild said:

I particularly remember the 3-3 draw at Notts County in Nov 1974 which came straight after what was to be our best win of the season....3-0 at home to York.

Check out the fabulous goal by McMordie about 20 seconds into this video, plus footage of the 4-4 draw with Manchester United in December which is pretty much where our season ended.

19 minutes ago, Treborowl said:

I'd name Craig, Clements, Rodrigues and Eustace as the better ones

For me it would be Craig and Rodrigues.

Both Potts and Joicey were decent on their day.

Unfortunately I think Eustace was past it by then. He was never the class player that left to go to West Ham.