Can someone please explain this old formation to me?

1 minute ago, Striggy said:

Its

keeper

Right back left back

Right half.  Centre half. left Half

Right wing. Inside right. Centre forward. Inside left. Left wing

Yes all football teams lined up with this exact formation.  And if you were playing in a match you would know which one of these eleven positions you would be playing....and therefore you would know which number shirt you would be wearing because the numbers were fixed to a position (i.e.  11 was left wing, 7 was right wing, 9 Centre forward, 8 and 10 the inside forwards, 2 was right back, 3 was left back.  5 centre half, 4 and 6 were right and left half.  It all seemed to make sense at the time - but I was only a kid, and I can't remember if they actualy played in this formation.  Certainly when I played in a School match, we lined up like this at the start and had these positions in mind when we played - only two at the back.  Anyone else remember that or am I making it up?

1 minute ago, WOLS said:

Yes all football teams lined up with this exact formation.  And if you were playing in a match you would know which one of these eleven positions you would be playing....and therefore you would know which number shirt you would be wearing because the numbers were fixed to a position (i.e.  11 was left wing, 7 was right wing, 9 Centre forward, 8 and 10 the inside forwards, 2 was right back, 3 was left back.  5 centre half, 4 and 6 were right and left half.  It all seemed to make sense at the time - but I was only a kid, and I can't remember if they actualy played in this formation.  Certainly when I played in a School match, we lined up like this at the start and had these positions in mind when we played - only two at the back.  Anyone else remember that or am I making it up?

Yes that's how it was all positions had fixed numbers as you say.

31 minutes ago, WOLS said:

Thats exactly as I remember it at school. I started as a number 7, but switched to left wing cos there were too many right foot only players, I was two footed and less competition for a left wing spot.

"nobody told me there would be days like these!"

27 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

29468548_10156348675103627_2111503826493112320_n.jpgT
)
This formation is before my time

Is it basically just displayed all skewed in the programme?

was it like wingers?

Although lining up 2-3-5, in effect the way Wednesday played, was more a very attack minded 3-4-3.

In this team Mobley stayed pretty deep between Hill and Megson.

The half backs McAnearny and Young had the job of breaking up opponents attacks and breaking forward at pace or getting the ball out to wingers Wilkinson and Dobson who were both pretty direct and tricky, especially Dobson.They would drop off the forward line to cooect the ball before haring forward

Rarely for the Owls that team had no big centre forward to feed off wingers crosses, so must have been one of the last to line up that way.

Pearson by the way was the bad boy'Pancho' Pearson who got himself into a few scapes at Man U and finished up at Hillsborough.

Was a tidy player though but not as good as our home grown 'inside forwards' Fantham and Quinn.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

29468548_10156348675103627_2111503826493112320_n.jpg

This formation is before my time

Is it basically just displayed all skewed in the programme?

was it like wingers?

7and 11 were wingers, 1goalkeeper, 2full backs 3 half backs 5 forwards, it was all left and right, left back, right back left half, centre halt, right half, left wing or outside left, inside left, centre forward, inside right, right wing or outside right

1 hour ago, Striggy said:

Its

keeper

Right back left back

Right half.  Centre half. left Half

Right wing. Inside right. Centre forward. Inside left. Left wing

This^^^^^^^^^

We used to call the right half and left half, half backs

And the inside right and inside left were the inside forwards

@trevdi9 will be able to explain it more because he's a lot older than me

• Haha 3

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

It's a 3-4-3 with 2 attacking midfielders (inside men) and 2 defending midfielders (half backs) so can swiftly go 5 at the back and 5 up front. Or you could say 5 at the back and 5 up front with 2 coming out of defence and 2 dropping back from attack to make a 4 man midfield.

Just now, HOOTIE AND THE poo TU said:

This^^^^^^^^^

We used to call the right half and left half, half backs

And the inside right and inside left were the inside forwards

@trevdi9 will be able to explain it more because he's a lot older than me

The inside forwards were usually expected to move between attack and defence, as circumstances warranted. The"traditional" formation was, imo, more attacking. It wasn't until Alf Ramsey introduced the wingless England team that won the 1966 world cup that team formations began to change.