What does Jos have to do...

2 minutes ago, Hughthecone said:

How do you and others justify the manager should be out ,with squad he inherited from the past regime 14 injured players pray tell me.

I haven't - I'm still on the fence if i'm honest. 

But in answer to your question, I've watched the team in the last 3 months and he's sent them out with no attacking intent. He's done nothing to suggest he's the man to take us forward next season. 

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
5 minutes ago, ramone said:

Owlstalkers got on the back of a manager that finished 6th and 4th in both his full seasons here.

Its hardly surprising to see people justifiably wanting a manager out that has 2 wins in 3 months... 

He inherited a wreck to be fair. I've maintained for some time that as players start to return there'll be an upswing.

I understand peoples frustration but personally I see positives too. 

I expect us to be 10 points + clear of relegation come season's end followed by some considerable changes in the summer.

With just 8 league games to go before the end of the season, Wednesday are 8 points clear of relegation (9 including goal difference).  Several of our long-term absentees have finally returned from the wilderness; Hutchinson, Lees, Bannan, Hunt, Van Aken, Forestieri, Westwood, possibly Abdi and Matias.  Also Wednesday have taken 4 points from our last 2 fixtures and are now a 40/1 long-shot with the bookies to be relegated.

That’s a huge boost for any manager to be in.

With the above taken into consideration, IMO we can now start preparing for next season in the Championship.  The manager has to be assertive with his team selections between now and May and should aim to put on consistent performances with a free-flowing brand of good football, that will excite the fans and get players believing that we can challenge for promotion next season.

With the threat of relegation diminishing by the week, the pressure is off the players now and it’s time to play with renewed freedom and exuberance IMO.  As paying fans, it’s not unreasonable to expect to be entertained with an aggressive and attacking style of play, as well as expecting a respectable amount of wins too.

Its time for Jos to start delivering consistently good results, with a footballing philosophy that befits the quality players we should have available to us.  

Little bit cautious at times and a couple of mystifying team selections, but overall for me a solid Yet uninspiring tenure so far. 

Wouldn't complain if he's only a stop gap till the end of the season as long as we get the right man in to replace and allow him to build. If Jos stays Ill be behind him and hopefully he can get the best out of our available resources next season. 

2 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

He inherited a wreck to be fair. I've maintained for some time that as players start to return there'll be an upswing.

I expect us to be 10 points + clear of relegation come season's end followed by some considerable changes in the summer.

We've won 2 games against out of form Derby and Leeds sides. Doesn't fill me with too much excitement and confidence moving forward. But as I said, i'm not calling for him to go JUST yet. The last 8 games will shape that opinion. As players start to return I expect him to show us what he's about. If he doesn't get a tune out of the team now players are starting to return I dont believe its harsh to get him gone after the final whistle on the last day and look for someone to have a good crack at it next season. 

If we still go out and play a flat 5 at the back then i'm sorry, he's making his own bed and he has to lie in it. 

4 minutes ago, Xxxxxxxxcxcc said:

I think most people agree that we have a bloated and unbalanced squad.  The difficulty will be moving on some of the big earners and can't see there being considerable changes in the summer. The key will be holding on to our better players and get the right balance in the squad, although we may need to sacrifice 1 or 2 players to bring in the types of players we need.

2 minutes ago, ramone said:

I haven't - I'm still on the fence if i'm honest. 

But in answer to your question, I've watched the team in the last 3 months and he's sent them out with no attacking intent. He's done nothing to suggest he's the man to take us forward next season. 

He has had a squad to choose from players who would be probably be third choice and youngsters from the U23's and yes he has made some baffling descions, but give the guy some leeway .

Just now, Hughthecone said:

He has had a squad to choose from players who would be probably be third choice and youngsters from the U23's and yes he has made some baffling descions, but give the guy some leeway .

I am giving him leeway. If he doesn't change his spots in these last 8 games and show that he's capable of getting a team to attack then fine...  If he doesn't, he's got to go before he messes next season up... 

Out of interest, who would be 3rd choice? 

1 minute ago, ramone said:

I am giving him leeway. If he doesn't change his spots in these last 8 games and show that he's capable of getting a team to attack then fine...  If he doesn't, he's got to go before he messes next season up... 

Out of interest, who would be 3rd choice? 

Glad to hear that you're giving him leeway,according to posters on here,

Fox,Butterfield , Jones just to name three that have been slated on here.

3 minutes ago, Hughthecone said:

Glad to hear that you're giving him leeway,according to posters on here,

Fox,Butterfield , Jones just to name three that have been slated on here.

They've been slated but lets not make up they're 3rd choice... They've played loads of games between them all season. 

For the record, I dont mind Jones. This he gets harshly slated to be fair. Fair enough with the other 2, they're both garbage and deserve the pelters they get imo

Two more wins and Jos's Fire Fighting is over. The ball will be in his court and for the first time he will be able to discuss our direction of travel.

So much will depend on the mood of the staff, no one can pretend they have not been effected as much as the fan base. If the mood is upbeat, and early indications are positive, then the rest of the conundrum will be down to discussions between Jos and the Chairman.

We have been notoriously slow starters when it comes to targeting players but this will be doubly difficult as the Chairman must decide between an 'all in' policy of topping up our squad with 2 or 3 stellar signings and breaking FFP or....Staying within FFP and recruiting several  ( 7 or 8) young hungry players, in the 22 - 24 year age range, who will be cover over three or four seasons as natural wastage kicks in. 

I would be interested to hear other views with regard to whether DC may marry the two options which IMO would still leave us well outside FFP compliance.

• Like 1

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
17 minutes ago, ramone said:

We've won 2 games against out of form Derby and Leeds sides. Doesn't fill me with too much excitement and confidence moving forward. But as I said, i'm not calling for him to go JUST yet. The last 8 games will shape that opinion. As players start to return I expect him to show us what he's about. If he doesn't get a tune out of the team now players are starting to return I dont believe its harsh to get him gone after the final whistle on the last day and look for someone to have a good crack at it next season. 

If we still go out and play a flat 5 at the back then i'm sorry, he's making his own bed and he has to lie in it. 

I have every confidence that we will see continued improvement as FF, MM and maybe Hooper are added to his options. 

I see positives in his approach. I like his refusal to lapse into short termism by rushing injured players back prematurely. I'm confident of a double digit minimum gap between us and relegation come season's end.

I'd expect the flat back five to be addressed in the summer with the recruitment of wing back/full backs capable of performing that function.

The summer and next season should and, I believe, will be his judge.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

2 minutes ago, 3311owl said:

hi guys...new to this...the season is all but over..lets just concentrate on getting over the last games with no dramas,

I think there is all summer to chat and dream just lets get behind the lads

Welcome to the forum! I think the hope is that Jos shows us what he can offer  in the remaining games and that we go into next season with a bit of momentum and a promise of what's to come.

3 minutes ago, 3311owl said:

hi guys...new to this...the season is all but over..lets just concentrate on getting over the last games with no dramas,

I think there is all summer to chat and dream just lets get behind the lads

Welcome to the fold.

The main point is, is he the right man to take us forward.

If not, he needs to go at the end of the season to allow bringing in the right man to build over the summer period.

Agree, wouldn't change until that time and I know Jos has been limited with choice but his tactics currently don't inspire me.

So, is he the right man for the job ????? I don't really know !

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
18 minutes ago, Gresh said:

I think most people agree that we have a bloated and unbalanced squad.  The difficulty will be moving on some of the big earners and can't see there being considerable changes in the summer. The key will be holding on to our better players and get the right balance in the squad, although we may need to sacrifice 1 or 2 players to bring in the types of players we need.

I think that there will be big changes and, to the chagrin of many, one or two of our more saleable and popular assets will most likely be liquidated to finance the necessary overhaul. Not ideal but unfortunately necessary.