What does Jos have to do...

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
7 minutes ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Is it just me that thinks he could be a really good appointment for next season?

No; not just you.

7 minutes ago, Gresh said:

That would be enough to guarantee we don't get relegated, but I'd be interested in how we win those games.  If we keep playing dour defensive football then Jos may not be the long term answer.

I woupd hope most fans are realistic enough to know we can't be picky about how we get the points. 

Getting four wins from eight games would be a great statement of intent for next season. It would build some confidence in Jos even if those wins are scrappy affairs. 

4 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

Good luck with that 

We might find a stupid foreign chairman who is learning the ropes in English football that will fall for it and signed them up to 3 or 4 year deals, h might even pay a fee????

So I think maybe Forest or Leeds might be the only change we have lol

Guest Jack the Hat

I think this season has been so bizarre it's difficult to use it as a benchmark for anything, including Jos's performance. Personally I think DC was so disappointed when he gradually realised what a mess we had been left in with Carlos's slack antics that he has gone for the polar opposite. Sam Hutchinson's comments over the weekend - whilst not intended to berate CC - were a back handed compliment at best. When Jos started it was always DC's intention to either have him as a stop gap till the end of the season (when a new manager currently under contract will take over) or he was intended to have a run of it next year (I don't know which) . Either way Jos will have been made aware of this and as long as we don't go down, why would DC's plan have changed?  I think he is here for next season.

All I am going to say to everyone about Jos is do you not think we could make the same mistake we made with Carlos.

He should have gone last season after Huddersfield at that point we have a fully fit squad with a few coming back from long term injuries Lee and Fessi, who he rushed back for the play off debacle then we gave Carlos another year because of the previous one.

We then proceeded to get worse and worse, players were dropping like fly's and Lee and Fessi were out for 7 months and counting.

We need an experienced English league manager not necessarily English as a lot of foreign managers have done very well in our league. We need someone who can mold a team of youth and experience and also find us a few gems and also make us a few quid in the transfer dealing.

Jos has had 1 window and signed 1 player knowing he had 13 players out - would a more experience English league manager had brought a few loans in to help with numbers knowing the amount of games we play in a season, tried to sign a few players, looked to get a few out on loan or try and off load a few - who knows.

But had we lost to Leeds on Saturday that would have been one league win in 12 even with a thread bare squad that is simply not good enough. Had a Warnock/Rednapp/Evans/Sheridan got more out of the players available - all manager I would not have at our club but all manager that would have got us more than 1 win in 11 pre Leeds.

Guest Xxxxxxxxcxcc
7 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Jos has had 1 window and signed 1 player knowing he had 13 players out - would a more experience English league manager had brought a few loans in to help with numbers knowing the amount of games we play in a season, tried to sign a few players, looked to get a few out on loan or try and off load a few - who knows.

But had we lost to Leeds on Saturday that would have been one league win in 12 even with a thread bare squad that is simply not good enough. Had a Warnock/Rednapp/Evans/Sheridan got more out of the players available - all manager I would not have at our club but all manager that would have got us more than 1 win in 11 pre Leeds.

I'd wager that Jos had very little wiggle room financially. In any event he'd need time to assess his squad too. Changing managers in the window is far from ideal. I doubt there'd have been clubs queing up to take many high earners off us either.

Edited by Xxxxxxxxcxcc

15 minutes ago, i used to be sc_owl said:

I woupd hope most fans are realistic enough to know we can't be picky about how we get the points. 

Getting four wins from eight games would be a great statement of intent for next season. It would build some confidence in Jos even if those wins are scrappy affairs. 

I agree we can't be too picky on how we accumulate those wins, so the short term aim is to keep us up.  I really want Jos to be a success but the football does have to improve so we don't have another wasted year next season.  With a full squad to choose from let's hope Jos can show us what he can do if he does take a longer term appointment.

28 minutes ago, room0035 said:

Get to 50 points which is 3 wins or wins and draws. out of 24 to play for should be more than do able.

He then needs to decide if he is staying or he was just a end of season stop gap. if he is staying he needs a clear out.

Loovens, Wallace, Pudil, Kean - out of contract can all go and Buttercup back to derby, Venancio only sign if for £500,000 anymore we can get better in the English leagues or promote youth.

Jones, Abdi, Fletcher, Matias, Palmer, Fox - need offloading

We have too many strikers if Joao, Winnall, Hooper, Fessi, Rhodes and Nuihu if we sign him. we need maybe 4 so two can be sold.

We then need to strengthen either loans or full transfers a Left back, right back, left wing, right wing. The wingers are if we can get rid of Matias or we get offer a silly amount for Reach

Agree with most of that but don't think I'd let Reach go.

IMO we need to avoid the trap of churning managers. With the possible exception of Chelsea it doesn’t bring long term success. 

Things turned sour for CC in the end but the continuity and consistency of the same manager for 2-1/2 seasons was positive overall. 

Therefore, for me, the question is not so much whether JL has done enough short term to still be here next season but rather is he the long term answer. 

The club needs to plan for the medium / long term. That is to have a recruitment strategy to mitigate FFP and not overcommit financially to chasing the dream, to blend youth and experience, to find a structure and identity for the club and the team which gives the best possible platform for success. 

This is means giving the manager a minimum of 4 transfer windows to shape the squad he needs. If the club believes JL is the best possible man for the medium / long term then he should stay regardless of how this horrible seasons meanders to a close.

If there’s a better option then JL should go with our thanks and blessing. Simple

2 minutes ago, ElsecarOwl said:

Agree with most of that but don't think I'd let Reach go.

Its one of those things if someone offer us £10m+ we could get rid make some money and sign someone like a Ben Marshall or Ran Fraser who in this league would be very good players for a fraction of the cost.

It just makes good business sense - did you see the cracker Marshall scored at the week end and it is no coincidence of Millwall improvement since he joined then on loan in January.

2 minutes ago, Gresh said:

I agree we can't be too picky on how we accumulate those wins, so the short term aim is to keep us up.  I really want Jos to be a success but the football does have to improve so we don't have another wasted year next season.  With a full squad to choose from let's hope Jos can show us what he can do if he does take a longer term appointment.

I think we have done enough to stay up.  I can't see the teams below picking up enough points to overhaul us.  Also, we are in a fortunate position of having top Championship players coming back into the team.  We will be ok.  That win against Leeds will have just pushed us far enough out with too few games left.  

Next season... I really, really want Jos to be a success.  I'm not convinced yet.  A few good results before the end of the season, with our better players coming back, will go a long way towards convincing me.  I don't care how we get the points next season but I expect us to be in contention for top six.  

I don't think FFP is that big a deal either.  I've posted several times showing that we only need to lose some deadwood to chop a huge amount off the wage bill.  If we sell someone like Winnall as well, then we will be fine for FFP.

29 minutes ago, Davidioso said:

Owlstalkers in  change of manager shocker!

Once again, the calls come up to change the manager.

A manager who has not once been able to field the players he was hired to manage.

He should clearly be doing far more jumping up and and down, and foaming at the mouth!

Owlstalkers got on the back of a manager that finished 6th and 4th in both his full seasons here.

Its hardly surprising to see people justifiably wanting a manager out that has 2 wins in 3 months... 

2 minutes ago, ramone said:

Owlstalkers got on the back of a manager that finished 6th and 4th in both his full seasons here.

Its hardly surprising to see people justifiably wanting a manager out that has 2 wins in 3 months... 

How do you and others justify the manager should be out ,with squad he inherited from the past regime 14 injured players pray tell me.