Jon Newsome "Ron Atkinson turned a bit nasty"

Jon Newsome Sheffield Wednesday.jpg

Great interview with Sheffield Wednesday defender Jon Newsome in The South Yorkshire Times

More than a decade later, the centre-half’s love affair with Wednesday would be severely tested. But for now he was living the dream - earning £27 a week, with a tenner for lodgings thrown in for mum and dad Christine and Roger, and cleaning the boots of first-teamers Lee Chapman and Gary Megson.

He scrubbed the baths, cleaned the balls, washed down the dressing rooms and relished every second of it. He was on his way.

Later...

“My contract was up and Atkinson offered me a better deal, but I told him it wasn’t about the money, it was about running out on to the pitch on Saturday at three o’clock. He turned a bit nasty. 

Read more at: https://www.southyorkshiretimes.co.uk/sport/football/the-big-interview-jon-newsome-on-taking-on-big-ron-playing-for-his-boyhood-club-and-how-it-ended-in-the-wrong-way-with-sheffield-wednesday-1-9069896

Owlstalk Shop

“I think we’re in a real mess,” he says. “Without trying to be a clever clogs, I’ve seen it coming for a good couple of years. Under the previous regime of Carlos (Carvalhal), I didn’t think things were right, from the top downwards. It looks like a house of cards and it’s falling down.

Sure you did Jon, sure you did 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, rickygoo said:

This was a magic moment though.  I remember seeing his face after he scored and thinking he genuinely cared about the club.

We've got David Pleeeeat, he knows what it means, to be a, kerb crawling ba stard in the Premier Leeeeeeeague!!!

Sang that all night in London and all the way home.

4 hours ago, Bottler Owl said:

I'd need more than £27 a week clean Megson and Chapman's balls! lol

All part of growing up mate, some things you just have to take as an apprentice greased balls, cleaning balls same difference really.

Different profession same outcome though:carlosswfc:

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, owlZfan84 said:

Moved into my mates old gaff on Barncliffe Road. Think he still lives there now. 

Had no idea he jacked in football after the Newcastle debacle.

It looked like the whole team had jacked in football during that game and it didn't get a great deal better for most of the season or the next 5 years or so! :picnic:

18 hours ago, vulva said:

Surprised he sells any cars. Seems to spend all his time talking to reporters. 

Can’t abide ex players sticking the knife in. Newsome was hardly Puskas ffs. 

He might be an ex player but he's just a fan these days. He's got as much right as the rest of us to have an opinion, his opinion as an ex professional player has more value but at the end of the day it is still just an opinion.