Stadium location?

1 minute ago, LSOwls said:

It makes a A LOT of sense economically

We need to make more money. I think a new stadium would boost attendances as well open up opportunities to use the stadium on non matchdays..

So you think renting the ground out will make how much money, and from where, with people doing what exactly?

will it be enough to pay 1 top players wages for a month, or for two months?

Exactly how will it generate higher attendances?

For every person who finds it easy to get to this mythical, perfectly situated, easy to access ground, there will be another CURRENT fan who finds it harder to get to and some who will simply refuse to move.

we are not in a tiny ground that is struggling to fit all the fans in, there is no pent up demand, we are not West Ham or Arsenal.

How much will it cost? Who will pay for it? How long will it take to pay it back?  how will it affect player recruitment while we are paying it back?

i just don’t get the logic

It’s obvious to me but the council would never go for it sadly.

build a new stadium within Hillsborough Park. Then the existing site be redeveloped into a public park with a permanent memorial to the disaster 

If only Wednesday supporters knew their history.  Before moving to Hillsborough from Olive Grove, the supporters voted to move to Carbook in the East end.  The directors went against the supporters wishes.  The location of Sheffield Wednesday should be in the East end of Sheffield, halfway between the city centre and the M1.  There should be enough land to develop the stadium for non-football activities.

18 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

Ideally around Castle Market but in reality I think Neepsend would be ideal

1. It's  all brownfield
  2. it's near Hillsborough
  3. It's near Town
  4. It's next to Kelham Island
  5. It's on a train track that could be converter to a tram-train servicing Sheffield to Stocksbridge

58f48b912a49e_NeepsendRoad.png.2d498d3d9b91f4036dd4bdd7ee694b66.png

I think this area in principal is the right one overall - certainly better then the Rotherham border off the parkway. It keeps us close to the Hillsborough base, and nearer to town, and the up and coming area of Neepsend/Kelham.

Problem with your may, the brownfield areas are current businesses, so they'd be acquisition and clean up cost and more important timescales. It can be done as Tottenham showed, but it becomes protracted when you have many parties involved. 

3 minutes ago, upperwinngardensowl said:

So you think renting the ground out will make how much money, and from where, with people doing what exactly?

For every person who finds it easy to get to this mythical, perfectly situated, easy to access ground, there will be another CURRENT fan who finds it harder to get to and some who will simply refuse to move.

we are not in a tiny ground that is struggling to fit all the fans in, there is no pent up demand, we are not West Ham or Arsenal.

How much will it cost? Who will pay for it? How long will it take to pay it back?  how will it affect player recruitment while we are paying it back?

like building the north stand never affected player purchase did it?

• Like 1

I dot have any strong feelings about moving but  I'm willing to look at the issue with an open mind. If it did transpire it was best for the club to move I'd support it.

As it stands  (despite the history and memories) Hillsborough is not up to scratch as a modern football ground so something has to be done in the long run regarding moving vs redevelopment.

Guest Grez Bez
Just now, upperwinngardensowl said:

That's a lot of questions! :biggrin:

Most teams increase attendance after a move. 

2.-Changing-Stadiums-Capacity-Increase-vs-Average-Attendance-Increase_170831_143718.png

You build leisure into the scheme; see the developments around Huddersfield ground as an example. Brighton host conferences / events. Loads of stadiums host the universities for exams etc.

I love Hillsborough but it's no longer fit for purpose. If SWFC was a business we would have moved by now.

3 minutes ago, owlse said:

It’s obvious to me but the council would never go for it sadly.

build a new stadium within Hillsborough Park. Then the existing site be redeveloped into a public park with a permanent memorial to the disaster 

It's not up to the council - the park is a gift to the people of sheffield in trust, as many of the parks are. The council administers the running/management of the park. The council would have to seek and go through an extensive consultation exercise to submit any plans to the charities commision for a private business to take over a large part of the park. They'd be so many conditions it would be almost inconceivable it would ever get off the drawing board.

I don’t think you could re-develop Hillsborough in the way that is probably necessary plus I’ve always preferred a move due to the stigma of the disaster that still casts a big shadow over the stadium but that said the cost of moving may be a problem? In a nutshell we’re probably stuffed going forward for a variety of reasons?

Edited by Great Big Galaa

Guest Grez Bez

1.thumb.png.46216fd541a3df42fcfb38e4eaca6d24.png5.thumb.png.8c6bce7de0f39b70c8169151967f42ce.png3.thumb.png.1d3472dcb4a33cfa0ade7660739ddb9d.png

I do still think there is a load of room to expand; particuarly the kop. Build back to penistone road and a 'fan bar' on the Wednesdayite Car Park

8 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

2.-Changing-Stadiums-Capacity-Increase-vs-Average-Attendance-Increase_170831_143718.png

You build leisure into the scheme; see the developments around Huddersfield ground as an example. Brighton host conferences / events. Loads of stadiums host the universities for exams etc.

I love Hillsborough but it's no longer fit for purpose. If SWFC was a business we would have moved by now.

who pays for it?

the crowd at present is limited because people are objecting to paying huge increases in seat prices, even season ticket holders are complaining now.

it's staggering the number of football fans who understand the complexities of finance, it's a wonder they're not the governor of the bank of england. 

building the north stand knocked the club back for decades, what the hell will the cost of a ground do?, and who do we sell the present hillsborough site to the water board? they could use it as a reservoir first time it rains heavy. 

11 minutes ago, LSOwls said:

I can only comment on the English clubs on that list

Arsenal - Highbury was operating at capacity.  haven’t won the title since as had to pay back the cost for years

Man City - gazillions of foreign investment, ground already too small, got it for next to nowt due to commonwealth games

Southampton - tiny ground operating at capacity, billionaire backers

West Ham - operating at capacity, got it for nowt. Fans wish it had never happened

• Thanks 1